Rolling Stone Magazine Photograph Special

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
I really like the premise of this issue... I rushed out to buy the issue when it was out this past Friday.

<<The Photographs

The defining images of rock & roll: Artists as seen by the photographers who knew how to turn up the volume

The portraits in this special issue form a historic gallery of the best music you will ever see. Rock & roll has always been a revolution of sound and vision, and these images -- most of which first appeared on the pages and covers of Rolling Stone -- are a visual account of rock's first fifty years, in extreme close-up.

These photographs, selected by the editors of Rolling Stone, also give you the souls inside the music. They are moments that speak volumes about living in and for rock & roll. You feel the heat of transformation, too, that moment when greatness begets fame and the rebel next door becomes the idol of millions. These are not just pictures of rock's biggest stars. They are the shots that made them stars -- and legends.

Rock & roll portraiture, like rock & roll itself, begins with Elvis Presley. Jay Leviton's magnetic portrayal here of the 1956 Presley -- shirtless, in bed, already a king in everything but crown -- packs into a single shot the sexual force and primal confidence with which Presley conquered America and the world. By the mid-1960s, Jimi Hendrix and the Doors' Jim Morrison were treating studio portraits as an extension of their records and live performances, addressing the cameras of Gered Mankowitz and Joel Brodsky with the same attention to style, creative liberty and emotional honesty.

But photography is a team art, and The Photographs is a tribute to the artists on the other side of the lens as well, particularly Rolling Stone chief photographers Annie Leibovitz and Mark Seliger. Leibovitz was a twenty-year-old student at the San Francisco Art Institute when she joined the magazine in 1970. But she quickly invented contemporary celebrity photography, combining rock & roll energy and provocative settings with journalistic realism in now-immortal Rolling Stone covers of Brian Wilson, Pete Townshend, and John Lennon and Yoko Ono. In the 1990s, Seliger documented the mutinous spirit of rap and hard rock in defining images of Ice-T and Metallica's James Hetfield, while celebrating classic artists such as Neil Young and the Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.>>

And here are some photographs that I think really defined the artists...

John Lennon and Yoko Ono, by Annie Leibovitz, 1980

john_lennon_and_yoko_ono_170.6478058.jpg

Lil' Kim, by David LaChapelle, 1999

lil_kim_-_170.6478069.jpg

Britney Spears, by David LaChapelle, 1999

britney_spears_rs_958.6478022.jpg

Pete Townshend, by Annie Leibovitz, 1980
(note: the blood is from his fierce playing of the guitar, done especially as well for this shoot)

pete_townshend_rs_958_170.6478946.jpg

Janet Jackson, by Patrick Demarchelier, 1993

Janet_Jackson_rs_958.6478949.jpg

U2, by Anton Cobijn, 1986

U2_170_rs958.6478947.jpg

That is my favourite Lil' Kim picture! It's a shame that she wasn't happy like that.

Awesome pictures, that perfectly defines Li'l Kim doesn't it.

Originally posted by tangerine@Sep 13 2004, 11:41 AM
I love that pic of Pete Townshend.
[snapback]365921[/snapback]​

me too..... :innocent: ^_^

i can do w/out britney and lilkim

thnkx erin :P

violet100- you luv Blythe too!!! I am a HUGE fan. I have a blonde Hollywood Blythe from takara and lots of silly Blythe bits, but I will def start collecting the real deal once I can afford to throw money away on senseless silliness. If you scroll to the bottom of this illustarted mall thingy I made- http://www.iluvkoshi.com/mall.htm - there are two Blythe links and they are both so cute- Click on the poster with her face on it & the Blythe logo to get to the sites. Cheers!

Blythe rules! My sister is a huge collecter/designer of Blythe items. She's working on a Black Dahlia inspired Blythe right now. She does some really cool hair falls for them too. If she has them online I will let you know. Also, I have some pics of them if you would like to see.

Originally posted by luvkoshi@Sep 14 2004, 12:16 AM
violet100- you luv Blythe too!!! I am a HUGE fan. I have a blonde Hollywood Blythe from takara and lots of silly Blythe bits, but I will def start collecting the real deal once I can afford to throw money away on senseless silliness. If you scroll to the bottom of this illustarted mall thingy I made- http://www.iluvkoshi.com/mall.htm - there are two Blythe links and they are both so cute- Click on the poster with her face on it & the Blythe logo to get to the sites. Cheers!
[snapback]366532[/snapback]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->