Rose Byrne

love both her GG dress and her Damages premiere dress. Just love it

bjfqmp.jpg

Style Spotlight: Rose Byrne

As major Damages fanatics, we've been giddy for months waiting for the show's third season premiere. But though we adore all of the twisted tussles in this suspenseful legal thriller—it's seriously good, folks—only one cast member thrills us both on and off screen: Rose Byrne. Whether she's out-maneuvering her fictitious nemesis (Glenn Close, in an outrageously wicked role) or skillfully walking the red carpet in another flawless wardrobe choice, the talented Australian actress is always a revelation to watch. In fact, we think Byrne's perfectly edited personal style is so impressive and refreshing, we simply had to feature her in today's Style Spotlight!

Byrne's been on our radar for ages now—and not just because of her spectacular hair—because of her superb outfit selections. To summarize her "event look" in a single phrase, we'd say she's the epitome of understated sophistication. Consider the nude off-the-shoulder Calvin Klein Collection dress she wore to a post-show dinner celebrating the Spring 2010 collection: it's marvelously romantic without being saccharine in the slightest. The same holds true of the white scalloped Emporio Armani mini dress Byrne selected for a dinner welcoming Cate Blanchett and the Sydney Theater Company to New York. While the abbreviated hem, virginal color, and scalloped detailing are decidedly girly, Byrne's black opaques, bold lipstick, and tousled bedhead elevate the outfit and give it a fashionable tweak. Even when she's picked a playful piece—like the black vintage jumpsuit she wore to The Cinema Society's screening of A Single Man—Byrne gives it a polished spin, in this case via a strappy pair of Topshop shoes and brass-adorned belt.

Even when Byrne rocks a statement frock, the overall effect is always controlled in a chic way. (She never lets the look wear her, no matter how dramatic it is.) Take the purple Swarovski crystal-encrusted Etro dress she wore to HBO's Emmy After Party, for example. Though Byrne's wearing a one-of-a-kind ornate frock and numerous diamond bangles from Judith Ripka, she kept her beauty look and footwear choice simple and sleek. Her mastery was also on display at last year's Met Gala, when our spotlighted star arrived in a knockout marigold Marc Jacobs silk satin gown. The actress wisely didn't over-accessorize, and completed her ensemble with just two pieces: a hand-beaded belt with safety pin details and a Marc by Marc Jacobs black clutch (which was only $50!).

If you'd like to use this most amazing muse for your own outfit inspiration purposes, it's easy enough to do. To emulate Byrne's beautifully simple style choices, such as her nude Calvin Klein Collection cocktail frock, you might like Lipsy's Grecian Drape Dress
show
($110). Of course, if you crave something light and ethereal, we've got you covered there as well. Sachin + Babi's Cornelia Dress ($505) reminds us of Byrne's Emporio Armani mini dress, especially in terms of texture, while Hanni Y's Cotton Dress ($340) is another wonderful white option. As for the readers who'd rather wear a romper, we also have substitutions galore! Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent's Jumpsuit ($308) has a great tapered leg and skinny straps à la Byrne's vintage selection, but we also like Forever 21's Spaghetti Strap Jumpsuit ($29) and No6 Store's Tanksuit ($335) wide-leg iterations too.

Looking for statement pieces? Simply check out standout numbers like 3.1 Phillip Lim's Silk Sequined T-Shirt Dress ($895)—a truly gorgeous frock—or ABS by Allen Schwartz's Illusion Yoke Sequin Shift Dress ($318:( both stellar sparkly styles indeed. As for a replacement for Byrne's knockout yellow Marc Jacobs gown? Well, we can't promise an exact copy (nothing could be), but we found a couple of floor-length options that pass muster, like Aidan Mattox Niteline's Banded Halter Gown ($330) or Jovani's Elegant Yellow Dress ($260). Either one would be an unexpected choice for an evening event, just be sure to follow in Byrne's footsteps and keep the accents to a minimum!
whowhatwear.com

I think there were better outfits from her that they could have chosen...

I think there were better outfits from her that they could have chosen...

I agree. I think WhoWhatWear tends to focus on the most recent outfits as opposed to the best/most interesting outfits. I noticed the same thing with Diane Kruger and Alexa Chung.

As far as Rose, I think I liked her style better 1-2 years ago. I still find her exciting, and I really like her look at the Season 3 premiere of Damages. I just feel like there's been a small shift in her style, and I can't quite pinpoint it. It might just be that I prefer her in less dressy looks, and the most recent photographs have all been taken on the red carpet. I've just never loved any of the fancy gowns she's chosen.

I think my all-time favorite outfit of hers (of anyone, really!) was this one she wore to the "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" after party. One of these days I 'll learn to upload pictures!
http://rosebyrne.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=404

I never would have thought to put those items or colors together. Not only is the outfit refreshing, but Rose looks so naturally stylish and uncalculated. I wish we saw more looks like that from her now, because I found it so inspiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I noticed Rosie first, even tough Kirsten is in middle and I naturally would have noticed the person in the middle first BUT Rosie just stole the picture, she looks so beautiful.
I love that this picture looks old.
and that movie was good, it is bit underrated in my opinion!

She looked amazing at the Season 3 premiere of "Damages". I loved that white dress, I loved the whole outfil actually and also the make up^_^

It's funny I totally forgot Rose was in Marie Antoinette- but that was one of my favorite characters!

Actress Rose Byrne arrives at the premiere of Universal Pictures' "Get Him To The Greek" held at the Greek Theatre on May 25, 2010 in Los Angeles, California.
Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+zeDm5NR8_g7l.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+5WBZHHwTKM7l.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+QgSTLYRHf0pl.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+2CUgj_lki5Ul.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+9FIuQzuGBZml.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+quygdgDzhaHl.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+l8rzNHNXLUjl.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+laK0k6nwqGMl.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+kWmP2w9TZhbl.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+LlW7QEUJo1Ml.jpg

Premiere+Universal+Pictures+Get+Greek+Arrivals+e0MFV8kOurKl.jpg

:lol: