Rosso Confirms Martin Margiela no longer at the Maison

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Margiela Sans Margiela
LAUREN MILLIGAN 03 October 2009 0 Comments
AFTER months of whispers surrounding his future within his eponymous Maison, Renzo Rosso has confirmed that Martin Margiela is no longer directly involved in the designing of the label. Unsubstantiated whispers have suggested Haider Ackermann could be set to take the reigns, but Rosso insists the new direction lies in a new team.
"Martin has not been there for a long time," Russo told WGSN. "He is here but not here. We have a new fresh design team on board. We are focusing on young, realistic energy for the future; this is really Margiela for the year 2015."
Rosso, founder and owner of Diesel, bought a majority stake in Maison Martin Margiela in 2002 and remains involved in both companies today.

*vogue.co.uk

i'm not sure i love haider but(and no this is not MMM delusion that no one can do it)i don't think he fits. i wish they would hire jurgi persoons and resurrect his career. and he has some of mmm's sensibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
he is seriously so condescending in those comments. he is here but not here,we are focusing on young,realistic energy for the future what did he did design for geriatric patients or something? stupid man. it literally screams volumes that the intention was inevitable on renzo's part...push him out the door and make the mega-brand.

sad.

Labels like margiela, Comme des Garcons etc, are too closely linked to the minds of the designers themselves for them to be anything special without these designers.
Russo and many others fail to recognize what makes these brands special, or if they do, they are in some ways aware that the average consumer often doesnt get it.
Margielas work is about his thinking and the extension of such thinking into a realized wearable form, remove the mind of the designer and what is left, are just products produced under His name..................................

i am really truly disgusted with rosso's blase and disrespectful attitude. and i completely agree zamb. this label will ultimately be just soulless product pushing. because without the brains and the leading vision(i know it was team but it ultimately still was MM's vision and his final word)you have nothing but total deception. just like HL....it still feels so wrong to me.

well that explains A LOT about the latest collection
awful awful awful!

i wish we could see him now that he's retired!

Unsurprising. But it raises the question: for HOW many seasons has Martin been MIA?
This is the first where the taste level was so conspicuously off, but I've sensed a sea change for the past 18 months or so. This was a total misfire, though.

They should just shut it down. I have a feeling that the 20th anniversary show was his last it just seems to be logical that that was when he left. This is sad but at least we know. Margiela without Margiela is just wrong

Unsurprising. But it raises the question: for HOW many seasons has Martin been MIA?
This is the first where the taste level was so conspicuously off, but I've sensed a sea change for the past 18 months or so. This was a total misfire, though.

If you recall, though, the couture collection (I believe it was) was just unbelievably bad.

I guess he's talking because he realizes there's a problem.

The "He's here but he's not here" seemed far too mystical for me when what we're talking about is fashion :lol:

i am really truly disgusted with rosso's blase and disrespectful attitude. and i completely agree zamb. this label will ultimately be just soulless product pushing. because without the brains and the leading vision(i know it was team but it ultimately still was MM's vision and his final word)you have nothing but total deception. just like HL....it still feels so wrong to me.
you said it. it is so wrong and if this season is supposed to be Margiela taken to the next level... please.:rolleyes: it already lacks the essence of MMM completely, I also fear for the future (and not to mention the integrity) of the house.

Rosso has killed the house of Margiela. truly unfortunate. I will miss Martin and will always treasure HIS designs!

they should hire carol christian poell. although, he copies too much of mmm already...

This was inevitable. MMM hasn't been up to par for many seasons now. It was a slow but painfully evident regression towards this nonsense. MMM will never be a 'mega-brand'. The word mega and the general aesthetic of MM will never be one-in-the-same. It is nearly impossible to design on Margiela's level of integrity and also manage to draw in every type of consumer. I hope Martin finds happiness in whatever he decides to do next...

I would love to see Jurgi Persoons take over. That would be interesting.

In a recent issue of the Belgian Magazine 'Weekend Knack' Haider admits that Martin himself asked him to take over. I could scan the article but it's in Dutch

And I read in the Dutch Glamour and there was an interview with Haider and he said he wasn't interested in taking any house over.

^and that's because of the level of respect martin has garnered from peers,predecessors and fans alike.he's revered. much in the same way that yves saint laurent was,because of the things he innovated. i don't think anyone would feel comfortable...truly comfortable...filling the shoes of such a dynamic talent.

i look back and i don't think anybody has brought to fore the things martin has. the recycling aspects when it wasn't 'hip' way back in the early 90's...the use of unexpected and sometimes mundane material. not to mention the balance he was able express...the quality...the construction....

it'll be interesting to see how this develops. i just hope martin stays in design in some capacity because we need his creativity and his irreverence.

^and that's because of the level of respect martin has garnered from peers,predecessors and fans alike.he's revered. much in the same way that yves saint laurent was,because of the things he innovated. i don't think anyone would feel comfortable...truly comfortable...filling the shoes of such a dynamic talent.

i look back and i don't think anybody has brought to fore the things martin has. the recycling aspects when it wasn't 'hip' way back in the early 90's...the use of unexpected and sometimes mundane material. not to mention the balance he was able express...the quality...the construction....

it'll be interesting to see how this develops. i just hope martin stays in design in some capacity because we need his creativity and his irreverence.

My bold prediction is that MMM will fail without MM.:innocent:

^i agree...been thinking that myself. i don't think anybody will continue to follow it now that he's gone. he's just got too many faithful,long-time clients and fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->