RuPaul’s Drag Race

Yes, we're missing out on "mirror talk" as they all get ready in the room, but I think that'll come back, once they weed out a few of the characters that aren't really grabbing anyone's attention. Two blondes down already...

I like Katya, but of course, I'm a little biased for homegrown talent :smile:

I like Max a lot, too, althought, I'm not quite sure why yet.

Is anybody watching Untucked on Youtube? I'm not sure how I feel about the new Untucked format. I guess it'll take a while to get used to, but we'll see.

^I would if I could, but it seems to be unavailable on youtube. Not even "unavailable in your country" but gone altogether.

^ I guess it's only available in the USA bc I tried to use Hola to open the video and I succeed...

if you guys have a smart phone, download any of the other video apps (not youtube), and it plays all the videos that youtube restricts. I was able to watch a few fashion shows that for whatever reason youtube restricted from me.

I like Katya, but of course, I'm a little biased for homegrown talent :smile:

I like Max a lot, too, althought, I'm not quite sure why yet.

Is anybody watching Untucked on Youtube? I'm not sure how I feel about the new Untucked format. I guess it'll take a while to get used to, but we'll see.

haha just as i was close to getting super annoyed with untucked, i actually really like the new untucked format. more candid and less staged, but it's a shame it's not on after the show.

Thanks, one and all, for ensuring I wasn't deprived of watching Untucked. I like the way there was random pixellation of nipples that weren't even real.

Some comments on episode two (observer.com:(

By week two of Drag Race the cast can usually be sorted out into frontrunners and also-rans. As of this episode it seems obvious that Pearl has one of the final slots in hand. There probably hasn’t been such a strong early leader since season 3, when EW.com was asking “Does Raja have this season locked up already?” Rumor has it there will only be two finalists this year and smart money seems to be on Miss Fame being the other, with perhaps Katya as the third most-likely candidate.

It almost certainly won’t be Violet Chachki, who comes off very poorly this week. The episode starts with her proclaiming how she hates Michelle Visage. Of course you do, we all sometimes do. But to announce that on the show itself seems like being a real sore loser—or it would, but for the fact that Violet had actually won the previous week.

Now it’s time to put on the tinfoil hat for a minute and speculate. It seems pretty clear that Ru will occasionally have a queen who’s gotta go in a given episode, and to make sure that she goes home Ru puts her up against a contestant who doesn’t necessarily belong in the bottom two but will obviously pull off the win. That certainly seemed to be the case this week, at least.

^interesting observations. i do agree that by the second episode, you get some hints of possible front-runners, but i don't think it's pearl (she's middle of the pack on the rise). i personally think ginger minj is the front-runner. in episode one, i predicted to my friends that miss fame, ginger minj, and violet chachki will be the final 3, but if the rumors are true, maybe miss fame and ginger minj. violet will be around for a while though.

Now it’s time to put on the tinfoil hat for a minute and speculate. It seems pretty clear that Ru will occasionally have a queen who’s gotta go in a given episode, and to make sure that she goes home Ru puts her up against a contestant who doesn’t necessarily belong in the bottom two but will obviously pull off the win. That certainly seemed to be the case this week, at least.

i've been saying this since season 2 ever since ru put raven up for elimination against nicole paige brooks! he definitely did it this episode.

I'm stanning SO HARD for Violet. Her style, her persona, etc, it's so me. lol. Idk, I just find her aesthetic and style really interesting.
LMAO @ all the twinks gagging over Pearl. He's cute, but his drag isn't anything new or fresh but I can see him going pretty far. Ginger Minj is another faves. She's hilarious and totally going to the top. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if this season goes to a big gurl and she wins.
I also love Max. There's something so old school, Hollywood glamour about her. Her first look on the introduction scene in the first ep screamed Christian Dior by John Galliano (FW07, anyone?). I like Katya, Miss Fame, and the rest are pretty much forgettable.

OH, and Trixie Matter can gtfo. She's made disgusting racist remarks.

Isn't Miss Fame really just the poor man's Raja? I mean, the draq-queen supermodel thing was already done, and I think Raja simply made for better TV.

Max strikes me as the one that starts off weak, but will get better as the show improves..the dark horse of the show..like Jinkx & Jocelyn Fox from last season.

And LagerfeldBoy, speaking of drag queens copying looks from high-fashion, shall we dedicate a few posts here comparing the contestants looks to the runway looks..like the Outfit Look-Alike thread, but with Drag Race stars instead? On that first episode from this season, both Miss Fame & that older queen had Mugler looks going on, and I know they're not the only ones.

Hey, if anybody's interested, check out Hedda Lettuce's Drag Race clips on youtube. She reads the season 4 contestants to filth, and it's hysterical!

A review of the fourth episode mentions a few points (avclub.com:(

The main conflict brewing this season is between models and performers, and I’m inclined to side with the performer group when it comes to succeeding on this series. Having a strong fashion sense and knowing how to take a photograph are essential qualities for America’s Next Drag Superstar, but being able to hold your own on stage is what really impresses the judges. Can you commit to a character? Can you hit some notes? Can you dance to a beat? Can you tell a joke? And when it’s all on the line, can you listen to a song, find the spirit of the music, and embody it in a lip-sync? If you’re going to be an exceptional drag queen, you need to be able to answer “yes” to most, if not all, of those questions.

Untucked sure is weird this season. Its production values deliver what you expect from a webseries sponsored by Squarespace, and while the direction tries to work around this by taking a more documentary-style approach, it still looks cheap as hell. That said, I like that the show is taking a less glamorous view of the backstage aspect. The runway is just an illusion, and the real world is a lot rougher around the edges. Unfortunately, the change in surroundings does change the drama. The queens are in a much bigger space now, where they have the room to spread out and stretch after standing on stage for god knows how long. The old Untucked lounges were smaller quarters, and like wild animals in tight spaces, the queens were more likely to attack. There’s still drama, but it’s not as tense. I don’t know if there’s any likelihood that Untucked would return to its former iteration in the future, but this new format makes it less essential viewing.

After the fifth episode (avclub.com:(

Where are the characters on this season of RuPaul’s Drag Race? A lot of the queens have well defined styles, but the personalities aren’t as big as usual, both in and out of drag. The contestants that are bringing that extra individuality need to push it even further, because at this point in the series’ history, these queens aren’t just competing against each other, but the memory of past Ru Girls. Simply by being cast, the contestants are immediately a part of that elite group that includes all Drag Race alumni, but if they want to become Drag Race royalty like Jujubee or Latrice Royale or Alaska, they need to step up their game because no one in this year’s group is on that level yet.

Those three queens I mentioned didn’t win their respective seasons, but they had strong personalities that made them superstars. I definitely see potential for greatness in this season’s queens—particularly Katya, Ginj, Kennedy, and Jaidynn—but nobody has had a major breakthrough moment yet. Ginj is the closest to that point thanks to her consistently strong performances, sharp runway looks, and bubbly disposition, and she inches even closer to her big break this week.

If Pearl is supposed to be this season’s big underdog story, she’s not doing very much to get the viewers to sympathize with her. Her struggle is learning how to thrive in an environment where everyone doesn’t love her and she has to work for praise, which isn’t an especially hard mountain to climb. If Pearl seriously listened to the judges’ criticism and changed her behavior to satisfy those concerns, she would be a more engaging figure. But instead she acts like a brat.

Mrs. Kasha Davis is justifiably annoyed by Pearl’s attitude, but it gets RuPaul’s attention. Pearl is a project that RuPaul can work on, whereas Kasha is an old dog that probably isn’t going to learn very many new tricks.

I'm so sick of Miss Fame, he is extra and pointless. Just a pretty drag queen who brings nothing new to the table.

Violet is consistent every week, look after look. The last 2 runway looks (Leather&Lace and Death Becomes Her) had me speechless.

I had a soft spot for Kennedy since the beginning and I am glad she pulled it together this week.

Drag Race renewed for another season (hollywoodreporter.com:(

'RuPaul's Drag Race' Renewed for Eighth Season

Logo has handed out an early renewal to its signature reality competition series.

The Viacom-owned cabler has renewed RuPaul's Drag Race for an eighth season, the company announced on Friday.

The pickup comes weeks after the show's seventh-season premiere spiked 20 percent year-over-year among the coveted adults 18-49 demographic when factoring in three days of delayed viewing. The premiere ranks as one of the most-watched debuts in the franchise's history, with the second episode up double-digits compared to the season opener.

Production on season eight is now under way as Logo kicks off a nationwide casting call for new contestants.

"After a record-breaking year of ratings and viewership, it's only fitting we would continue to rise with our first lady, RuPaul,” said Chris McCarthy, GM of MTV2 and Logo TV. “From the cultural phenomenon of Drag Race, our partnership with the visionary Russell T. Davies and the creation of a new documentary division, we are making Logo TV the home of today’s most innovative storytellers.”

Well, this has been an underwhelming season, and I don't know who I'd want to win, from the three that are left.

What an underwhelming season. It's not like the Top 3 of Season's 3-6.

Raja, Manila, Alexis - Alexis was the weaker one but she BROUGHT IT! Raja and Manila was a had pair to choose from. Bought were talented queens who deserved the crown.

Sharon, Chas, PhiPhi - as annoying as PhiPhi was, three of them brought the competition to a different level. Each one has c.u.N.t, that made it hard to choose from as well.

Jinkx, Alaska, Roxxxy - These three were three talented queens of their own. One was artistically talented, one was comedic and one was fierce, beautiful but was giving it!

Bianca, Adore, Courtney - Need I say more..... Need I say more?

Pearl, Violet, Ginger - One's talented, two are fashionable yet somehow talented. no one has the COMPLETE package with these three. Someone lacks charisma, Some lack the talent, some lack uniqueness.... Completely underwhelming.

Katie Price launching the UK edition of RuPaul’s Drag Race in London – which sees her take a judging role alongside chat show host Jonathan Ross (dailymail.co.uk:(

A reaction to the finale (hitfix.com:(

In seasons past, contestants won "RuPaul's Drag Race" for exhibiting a range of charismatic traits. Season six winner Bianca Del Rio was snide, ferocious, and whip-smart. Season five winner Jinkx Monsoon was kooky, kitschy, and slyly carnal. Violet Chachki, meanwhile, is certainly a glamorous and compelling stage-walker, but she's exhibited none of the comic verve that has made so many other notable contestants (Sharon Needles, Alaska, Adore Delano, Willam) such indelible characters.

In fact, Violet vaulted to the finale based on a combination of eye-popping costume choices and penchant for Barbara Stanwyck hairdos. Are her teeny-tiny waist and Latisse-drenched lashes glorious? Yes. But it's also fair to say that Violet's appeal is based on what she has acquired, not the naturally occurring chutzpah that propels people like Ginger Minj, RuPaul herself, and folks like Madonna and Cher. Violet's victory is the show's first to date that celebrates material possessions over self-possession.

You'd think because "RuPaul's Drag Race" values "charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent" that it would ultimately honor that creed in a candidate like Ginger Minj, whose stage presence is both booming and delicate -- but instead we have a winner who clearly values picturesque, traditional glamor above all else. I concur that Violet's fashion sense and litheness are rad, but where's the wit? The defiance? That critical iota of balladeer soul?

Violet is fun to look at, but ultimately not thrilling to experience. It's easy to understand why Ru would favor a young, stylish queen when the past two winners were old-school dames, but that's where our appreciation ends. Like any good fashion editorial, Violet's victory is best understood on paper, not in actual practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->