Saint Laurent S/S 2021 : Catherine, Aylah, Sora & Naomi by David Sims

Discussion in 'Ad Campaigns' started by vogue28, Jan 6, 2021.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Phuel likes this.
  2. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

She should’ve been styled like her character in Belle de Jour where Yves himself was in charge of the costume design. Now that would be an interesting campaign / throwback. Alas, it’s just another boring regurgitation of Hedi’s aesthetic.

3. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

In a way, this is an iconic/logic collaboration but Catherine Deneuve over the past 20 years, has been more about Louis Vuitton, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Jean Paul Gaultier than YSL. She sometimes supported the brand since Stefano took over but it's not the most natural pairing today.
    I prefered Betty Catroux as she makes sense for Vaccarello's aesthetic...

Judging by the patent leather coat, it seems like she was styled in reference to what she wore in Belle De Jour. The BDJ wardrobe is very classic, bourgeois and timeless...

I actually think that Belle de Jour is such an obvious reference that it becomes boring. While I love the wardrobe of the movie and Deneuve is forever chic in it but it think what makes the wardrobe amazing is the context of the movie. I would have been more impressed by Vaccarello if he used other references for Deneuve/YSL. Her YSL wardrobe in Un Flic or Les Predateurs is a bit more challenging.
    I love her costumes in La Chamade but today, it looks more Prada than YSL.

4. Ken Doll Jenner

Ken Doll Jenner Well-Known Member

There is definitely a hint but maybe because the whole execution is so rooted in Hedi’s black and white aesthetic, it’s not eloquently conveyed. While I don’t care for Juergen Teller’s work, I can see him reenacting some of the mise en scene in the film for this campaign in a subtle way. I do agree that it is an obvious reference, as obvious as associating Hepburn and Hubert’s partnership with Breakfast at Tiffany’s when the two were involved in countless other films.

Lola701 likes this.
  5. Lola701

The magic around Belle De Jour was the sexual part. In a way, you can't recreate the Mise en Scene in a subtle way (even if I get what you mean) because everything else about the character is subtle. I'm sure Tom Ford would have jumped with it in his era at YSL but I don't think people at YSL in 2020 are ready to push a 77 years old actress in any kind of sexual undertone imagery. It can be done tastefully but this era cannot handle it.

This is very Grand Public imagery. And it's bit my issue with Vaccarello. His clothes are sexy but I don't think he knows what sexy is. There's a lack of seduction in his images. It's very slick and the references does the evocative job but it does not take the mind anywhere.

6. THD96

THD96 Well-Known Member

It's decent but nothing can top her Louis Vuitton Spring 2014. This is just another forgettable B&W campaigns from SL. I never warmed with Anthony campaign because while his womenswear is having a distinctive voice his menswear and campaign always reeks Hedi territory. It's show me that he is not confident enough to sell his own vision for the house.

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  7. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

At this point in time, fashion designs/presentations/branding is the equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome inflicted by 12yos. So seeing a campaign with decent imagery of an iconic actress who's so deeply rooted and entwined with the brand and with the realm of fashiondom, shot simply, slickly and skillfully, is… good enough. I’ll take it.

Catherine looks like Catherine at her current age— and still alluring, graceful and soulful. She’s not retouched to look younger than when she became famous, nor is she so stuffed/nipped/tucked to resemble some wrangled parody of her signature beauty like so many older stars these days. And the styling is understated and still lux. Good enough, I’ll take it.

vogue28, avonlea002 and tigerrouge like this.
  8. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Catherine made some messed-up comments about Me Too so she can disappear into oblivion for all I care.
    Anyway, the campaign looks set to be bland and boring. Hopefully there will be more people in this.

9. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

LOL Let’s cancel a woman (and wish she'd disappear into oblivion...) who’s been a presence in film and fashion since the 60s for an outdated, politically-incorrect comment that’s made from the POV of someone’s whose experience with the entertainment industry is from another era. God forbid a difference of opinion these days.

10. vogue28

[​IMG] [​IMG]

DESIGNSCENE.NET & YAHOO.COM

Lola701 likes this.
  11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Age has never been an excuse for being close-minded. At least, Karl Lagerfeld never got that pass. He got put on public trial for every single controversial statement he made. Why not the same for Catherine?
    The casting is misplaced. She should be fronting a Celine without the accentuated 'e' campaign, her values are much more in tune with Hedi's.

90sFan and slayage like this.
  12. vogue28

Catherine Deneuve will always be quintessential Saint Laurent and these images are utterly gorgeous. David Sims undoubtedly done Deneuve justice, the black and white works wonderfully and I'm just... all for it! :heart:

13. Lola701

Karl had a much more global appeal than Catherine. So his statements always made news...Which is not necessary the same for Catherine.
    She does not get a pass. There were strong reactions here in France after she stated her positions but I think there’s some kind of respect for her too. I am ok (and I think a lot of people in France are the same) with not sharing the same POV on things while totally respect her.

There’s a generation gap between her generation of feminists, mine and the millenials. She fought for certain things in the 60’s/70’s and I get that she might be overwhelmed by the way the movement has evolved and it’s totally ok.

She was asked about it and she answered in the most honest way. She never come out to share an unwanted position (even if her position has proven to be unwanted to some). I’m really against that black & white mentality. It kills debate.

14. 90sFan

90sFan Active Member

15. HFBvrg

HFBvrg Well-Known Member

+ Aylah Peterson

Benn98 likes this.
  16. 9sete

9sete Active Member

17. Lola701

That photo of Aylah is one of the best I’ve seen from any Saint Laurent campaign since Stefano left. It’s striking, timeless and fun! The styling, the dress, the hair...Everything is on point!
    It’s refreshing to see something fun from YSL for once.

dontbeadrag likes this.
  18. Overindulgence

I believe this is is the Resort 2021 campaign, not S/S.

19. 90sFan

90sFan Active Member

20. vogue28

Naomi Campbell: