Sarah Burton - Designer

Fatalefashion

Reaction score
Sarah Burton is Creative Director of McQueen

Sarah Burton, Alexander McQueen’s ‘right-hand’, was confirmed a few minutes ago, as the creative director of the brand.

A statement from Alexander McQueen and its ‘parent’ company, Gucci Group, announced that Burton will supervise the creative direction and development of all collections of the brand going forwards.

Burton, 35, who was born in Manchester, began working for the late designer, in 1996, while she was in her final year at Central St. Martins - McQueen’s own alma mater. She was appointed head of women’s wear design in 2000, and was working closely with the designer right up until his untimely death by suicide, in February.

“The creation of modern, beautifully-crafted clothes was at the heart of Lee’s vision. I intend to stay true to his legacy,” Burton said today.

Commenting on the appointment, Mr Jonathan Akeroyd, president and CEO of Alexander McQueen, said: ”We are delighted that Sarah has agreed to take on the role of creative director. Having worked alongside Lee McQueen for more than 14 years, she has a deep understanding of his vision, which will allow the company to stay true to its core values.Sarah is extremely talented and under her creative leadership we are ready to enter a new phase in the brand’s history.”

Robert Polet, president and CEO of Gucci Group, which owns 51% of the McQueen brand, said:”As a business we remain absolutely committed to the Alexander McQueen company which has proven to have strong customerloyalty and has shown to be a resilient brand in the aftermath of the tragic loss of its founder. Sarah has real talent, a close understanding of the brand and the vision necessary to take it forward. We will be giving full support to Sarah and the team in the coming years.”

Telegraph.co.uk

If she was his right hand, she must be a good director...

I think this is going to be a smooth rensition for the the brand I'm happy we just have to wait and see her collections

sburtonv27may10davidbur.jpg

*Vogue.co.uk

Big shoes to fill yes, but lets not forget she's been doing the Ready to wear for awhile with Lee,
aswell as working at McQueen for 14 years so she was the only right person for the job, congratulations to her!

Very appropriate choice. Though, I don't know much about her, I have faith in her.

I wish her luck and I am rooting for her.
I am sure there isn't anyone who knows the McQueen aesthetic better than her (other than him obviously).

She seems the perfect - only possible ? - fit. I wish her luck as, as it was said, she has big shoes to fill. The making of next collection will be really stressful, I guess. I hope she delivers and that she won't be judged too severely.

This is good news. It seems that she is the best candidate.

I'm very pleased with this choice. I'm glad Gucci didn't choose some high publicity person.

well at least it wasn't somebody so left-field like say with helmut lang. this just seems appropriate and she does indeed know mcqueen better than anybody.

Big shoes to fill. and I think that's the best choice !!!!!
I cant wait to see

I heartwarmingly wish her the best .. it must be hard to loose a friend and now have the entire workload on her shoulders ... and she's got my vote of confidence from what I've read! :flower:

i was wondering when the gucci group was going to make their announcement about this, and am happy to read that sarah has been given the position to be the new creative director. i am looking forward to seeing the upcoming collections under her direction.

in most articles its saying Sarah in creative director over Womenswear, so if its to go by then the Menswear is still unnamed

in most articles its saying Sarah in creative director over Womenswear, so if its to go by then the Menswear is still unnamed

She was creative director on womenswear WHEN Lee was alive. Now she has been appointed as creative director of Alexander McQueen, the brand. I guess that means she will also be directing mens collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->