Sarah Burton - Designer

To me this is really the only acceptable choice. Tapping another designer, whether a big name or an unknown one, just wouldn't seem right. It's impossible to replace McQueen, but it seems appropriate that she is the one to carry on his legacy.

I look forward to seeing her first collections.

To me this is really the only acceptable choice. Tapping another designer, whether a big name or an unknown one, just wouldn't seem right. It's impossible to replace McQueen, but it seems appropriate that she is the one to carry on his legacy.

I look forward to seeing her first collections.

Couldn't agree more.

Wish her the best of luck in taking over the reigns of McQueen and hopefully she will deliver a brilliant first collection. She was obviously a dear friend to him and she obviously knows him in and out,being with the man for 14 years. As sad as I am for McQueen not being in this world anymore, am excited for her this coming season!

I hope for the best. Big lobster claws shoes to fill, indeed.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, Alexander McQueen's creative director, Sarah Burton, can finally open up about the process of designing Dutchess Catherine Middleton's wedding dress.

Calling it "the experience of a lifetime," the clothier explained that "Alexander McQueen's designs are all about bringing contrasts together to create startling and beautiful clothes and I hope that by marrying traditional fabrics and lacework, with a modern structure and design we have created a beautiful dress for Catherine on her wedding day."

"The last few months have been very exciting and an incredible experience for my team and I," she continued, "as we have worked closely with Catherine to create this dress under conditions of the strictest secrecy."

Burton admitted that it wasn't easy to keep the details of the 29-year-old bride's dress under wraps.

"Understandably, Catherine has been very keen to keep the details of her dress a secret, which is every bride's prerogative," she explained. "We gave an undertaking to keep our role confidential until the day of the wedding."

After Middleton made her grand entrance outside Westminster Abbey on Friday morning, Burton said Prince William's longtime love looked "absolutely stunning."

"The team at Alexander McQueen are very proud of what we have created. The dress was just one component of a spectacular day, and I do not think it is appropriate to comment any further beyond saying that I personally am very grateful and honored to have been given the opportunity to work on this project," she said. "I wish TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge every good wish for the future."
*Dailymail.co.uk & Usmagazine.com

Sarah did an incredible job, the dress was absolutely perfect in terms of originality, beauty and appropriateness. It was modern, but modest.
But I cannot help think that, though Sarah Burton as an individual designer created this perfect dress for the Alexander McQueen brand, Alexander McQueen himself would never have designed a dress for the future Queen Consort, no matter how important and well-paying the job may have been - the conservative nature of the occasion would have been entirely against his general ideas and aesthetic.

^Thats a thought that crossed my mind too, especially with what he supposedly wrote on the lining of Prince Charles' jacket when he worked at Anderson & Sheppard on Saville Row.
As happy i am for her to have reached a landmark stage in her career and how gobsmacked i am at how stunning the dress was, i feel there was a hidden agenda behind her accepting the job, that she did it to put her name out there and so she won't forever be known as Lee's incredibly loyal assistant who took over his label after his death and it's worked, every mention of her today has been Sarah Burton, Sarah Burton, Sarah Burton and very little mention of who she works for, it kind of made me laugh that the newsreaders called her Sarah Burton because yesterday they wouldn't of known anything about her, but one newsreader frankly said of her dash into Kate's hotel ' One member of the public that knows about this sort of thing said "oh that was the designer Sarah Burton who just went into the Hotel" ', and to be honest I'm glad she's being rewarded for her work, because she can't forever be known as Lee's right hand woman or Lee's Protege, She is doing Lee proud but it's time that she flies with her own wings.

^ Definitely.

Sarah's touch is incredibly soft and it was jarring at first for the McQueen identity, but it's great to see her finally taking complete ownership over her identity as a designer and that her "womanly" touch does have power. Though it would've been great to see Kate wear sculpted hips, leather bands wrapped around her waist and neck and studded gloves...:P

But I cannot help think that, though Sarah Burton as an individual designer created this perfect dress for the Alexander McQueen brand, Alexander McQueen himself would never have designed a dress for the future Queen Consort, no matter how important and well-paying the job may have been - the conservative nature of the occasion would have been entirely against his general ideas and aesthetic.

That's what has been bugging me all day. While I think this is huge for Sarah (and for the brand obviously) I can't help but feel that Lee himself would've never done that. It feels weird.

^^ But this was the most staggering display of social mobility ever witnessed amongst the ranks of the royal family. I think McQueen used to talk down the pomp and ceremony of the conservative royal family, because it went with that image, but the regal and decadent touched every most corner of his work. In my humble opinion this commission would have defined him as a designer, and will only do amazing things for the brand. I would not be surprised if the ceo brought mcqueen back to London, and really played on this theme, I'm pretty sure the duchess owes them an appearance at a runway show.

Sarah did an incredible job, the dress was absolutely perfect in terms of originality, beauty and appropriateness. It was modern, but modest.

i doubt sarah would've made the dress if she knew for sure alexander mcqueen would never have done it.. she isn't some egomaniac designer who is dying to be in the spotlights..
she is extremely respectful of mcqueen's design philosophy so i have no doubts she would also be very respectful towards mcqueen's 'business' philosophy..

I don't think that it matters whether or not Alexander McQueen himself would have designed the dress or if he would have designed a dress that looked like what Sarah Burton designed. I can see why the McQueen spirit should be present in a collection, and some may consider even that debatable, but I don't think that that is required for what is basically a one-off look.

i doubt sarah would've made the dress if she knew for sure alexander mcqueen would never have done it.. she isn't some egomaniac designer who is dying to be in the spotlights..
she is extremely respectful of mcqueen's design philosophy so i have no doubts she would also be very respectful towards mcqueen's 'business' philosophy..

Nobody suggested that Sarah Burton is disrespectful to McQueen's legacy; she had every right to accept the job and need not be frightened of being labelled an 'egomaniac' by the notorious fashionspot.

To be honest, I was very underwhelmed by the dress she designed considering it was from the house of Alexander McQueen.

To be honest, I was very underwhelmed by the dress she designed considering it was from the house of Alexander McQueen.

Well, let's not forget it's Alexander McQueen designed by Sarah Burton, she definitely brought a more feminine and soft touch to Lee's heritage.

The dress was gorgeous and I'm really amazed by the craftsmanship having read all the fabrics description and lace detail. Such a great step for Sarah, well done!

But lets not forget she's designing for a client who has a very specific taste and Kate did say she didn't want anything over the top, she wanted something classic and timeless.

and on another note and to echo what Crying Diamonds was saying, She isn't in anyway being disrespectful to the McQueen legacy, but like i said its time she step out of his shadow and go in her own direction and i think being commissioned to design Kate's dress has given her that platform to do so.

Wasn't a fan of the last Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen collection since it was, as someone here had mentioned, more Marchesa than McQueen. But with this latest collaboration (which I feel was more a business decision to bring more mainstream exposure to the McQueen label), I can't help but think the McQueen label has lost a bit more of its archaic and untamed spirit.

I feel from now on, Sarah's collections will be quite predictable: Overly pretty, but unoriginal frocks paired with signature "McQueen" accessories and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"