Sarah Burton - Designer

Well, let's not forget it's Alexander McQueen designed by Sarah Burton, she definitely brought a more feminine and soft touch to Lee's heritage.

The dress was gorgeous and I'm really amazed by the craftsmanship having read all the fabrics description and lace detail. Such a great step for Sarah, well done!

But lets not forget she's designing for a client who has a very specific taste and Kate did say she didn't want anything over the top, she wanted something classic and timeless.

and on another note and to echo what Crying Diamonds was saying, She isn't in anyway being disrespectful to the McQueen legacy, but like i said its time she step out of his shadow and go in her own direction and i think being commissioned to design Kate's dress has given her that platform to do so.

It's not forgotten that it's Sarah Burton for McQueen and that she's got a very specific taste, however, we must consider that Catherine could not possibly be naïve about the history and design aesthetics of the label. Even considering Burton's collections for McQueen, they were quite soft and beautiful (compared to Alexander's design work) while still holding some edge. The gown, in my opinion, was very standard in the high fashion arena.

I suppose it's very anti-climax to appoint a designer at a radical label as McQueen only to come out with something as safe as Vera Wang. Perhaps Burton's wings were clipped a little and if Catherine preferred something more traditional, why would not she go with someone more traditional ? Just my thoughts.

(Catherine herself looked great though !)

My guess is that designers were invited (or solicited) to submit sketches, and Catherine and the palace took it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the wedding dress other than from the side. The decolletage is not very flattering.

My guess is that designers were invited (or solicited) to submit sketches, and Catherine and the palace took it from there.
I meant to write:

My guess is that designers were invited (or lobbied) to submit sketches, and Catherine and the palace took it from there.

The wedding dress was not McQueen at all, but it was beautiful. Very simple and elegant.
If it wouldn't have been a royal wedding, Sarah Burton would've probably done something more catchy and unique.

I thought the dress was very appropriate and beautiful. The bodice and the lace were very subtely McQueen. This wasn't for a runway look, those that were expecting something fashion forward and over the top were obviously going to be very disappointed. What works on the runway, on models and what works in reality...on normal women are entirely different. Which is why... at retail...great designers that make uncomplicated clothes are selling.

Burton has been intrepreting her spin on McQueen immaculately with her collections and it's what ultimately lead her to this incredibly coveted gig.

I'm agree that this dress wasn't McQueen. But is this make it ugly? I don't think so. The dress is beautiful, very classic. It's royal wedding - there's no place for extravagance. I'm not so sure that Lee wouldn't accept the honour.

I find the dress to the Grace Kelly's:

grace-kelly-wedding-dress-pictures-96058.jpg

wedding-dresses.tk

^PPR/Gucci Group only own 51% of the company, the other 49% was inherited (i presume) by the McQueen family or another bet would be Annabelle Neilson?, but the Company's HQ is in London, it's all designed in the UK and they only source the manufacturing in Italy as most of the Manufacturing in the UK is very few and far between.

Honestly, there were very few labels that could have done this dress. Given that it had to be produced by a British brand, there were only a couple of labels that could have done such a big dress. there a lot of great British brands, but imo even labels do more occasion-wear like Matthew Williamson, Stella McCartney, Temperley, etc. do not produce 'gowns'. McQueen, Bruce Oldfield, and a handful of non-mainstream labels (like Catherine Walker) produce gowns.

However, I was surprised by the choice of McQueen given Lee's personal stance on the monarchy and given that the label is fashion-forward, and Kate's dress sense leaves more than a little to be desired. So it was unexpected from that perspective but I think Sarah did the label and Kate justice.

The bodice was very McQueen and has been seen in all the recent dresses on the runway. This dress wasn't meant to be for runway - it's clearly a commission piece and the intense work and craftsmanship that went into the dress are true to the McQueen brand even if the dress itself isn't something that would be seen on the runway.

mcqueen designed a wedding dress for sara parker bowles therefore i cannot see a reason why he wouldnt have designed a dress for catherine. lee receiced CBE from the queen and praised her multiple times in interviews. in my opinion this comission was well-suited publicity for the mcqueen brand.
i think sarah did a great job :smile:

^ You stole the words out of my mouth!!!

Lee did mention he accepted the CBE because of his mum .. and his mum was the most important person in his life (she encouraged him to go into fashion and her decease turned into his demise). Can you imagine Lee telling his mum he passed on doing the dress to the future Queen of England? I dont think so ...

Id say he'd done something more sharp ... like everything lace and not use so many differente fabrics.

Now keeping on topic about Sarah (this is her thread, remember, people:(

She gives lots of femininity to the brand, and did you see how Katherine looked on her dress? Photos and videos? She is glowing. And if there is something that reality tv has showed us is that a wedding is all about the bride (and her dress) and this particular piece, being commissioned and such ... depicts the principles of demi-couture which are the back bone of what this label is and represents (as well as this being an state and very english affair).

Bravo for Sarah. Im wondering if you can send her fan mail. I want to write a letter to her saying how good she is doing and telling her of how many of us are rooting for her and appreciative of her work

But one of his first collections was called "highland r*pe" which is quite a big statement on his views. I think he personally had an ambivalent view towards the monarchy....loving and hating them at the same time. Regardless, I agree he still probably would have designed Kate's dress were he alive, and he probably would have stitched something in the lining :lol:

Regardless, as I said above, I think Sarah did the brand, Lee and Kate justice

Aren't a good number of young Brits anti-monarchists and don't most of them grow out of it?

Sarah with Stella McCartney at the Savage Beauty Press Conference (Who are co-chairs of the event) 22nd February

*dallasstylistas.com

(Please excuse the horrid editing)

*Scanned by ChanelCouture09

I don't understand how some people keep saying Burton brought a femininity and softness to the McQueen brand; most of McQueen's collection's were achingly feminine and soft-- and extremely romantic: The Girl Who Lived In A Tree, Deliverence, Irere, The Windows Of Culloden, Angels And Demons... but his vision of romance, femininity and softness was so layered in history and reference, coupled with innovative cuts and silhouettes. His was multi-dimensional. Burton's version is so flat and one-dimensional to me. Maybe that makes it easier to accept because there are no layers to strip away.

I initially loved her direction for the house with last spring's collection that was about light-- or the lightness of being as it turned out. Although it was simply taking McQueen's signature silhouettes and streamlining them, it remained refreshing and true to the collection's concept-- light and lightness. But the recent collection was just so heavy-handed; a variation of over-designed and overly-pretty dresses adorned with awkward accessories. Even the hairclips-cum-hairstyle was lifted from Gaultier's 2002 mens show.

I just don't see anything praise-worthy about Burton's work.

this dress was custom made for salma by sarah

222449_196156293761154_158576650852452_502509_1889926_n.jpg

alexander mcqueen's official facebook page

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->