Scarves/ribbons As Belts

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by sPaRkLiN'dIaMoNd, Sep 24, 2004.

1. sPaRkLiN'dIaMoNd

sPaRkLiN'dIaMoNd New Member

i'm seeing a lot latly most of the stars..including jessica simpson..replacing their old warn belts for colorful ribbons and scarves! i think it's the cutest thing! :wub: i went out and bought like 20 different colored scarves and ribbons from this little botique and now i'm seeing a few people start to wear it around school. does anyone else like this style or do it?

2. BBabe

BBabe New Member

I like it. I just haven't had a chance to try it out yet...

3. hollyslookingdry

hollyslookingdry New Member

I used to wear my dad's ties as belts. I tied them to the side.

4. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

I've used chiffon scarves for belts for a long time, and I agree it is a fun way to get more color into an outfit and give it a kind of swashbuckling touch.

I have got a lot of chiffon scarves, since I used to always use them as Alice bands when I was in highschool (I wore them as belts a lot back then, too, or around my neck).

5. orlem

orlem New Member

I have a Missoni print tie; I thread it through my belt loops without tying it. I just leave the ends hanging down and off to the side.

6. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

I like scarves as belts, I think I first saw it when McQueen did it in 2003. But the ribbons I'm getting quite sick of.

7. im_so_addictive

im_so_addictive New Member

i think its already a little played out, but maybe thats just me. i used to use ties as belts, but now i just wear scarves on my ankle, calve, or upper leg with skirts. :wink: its adorable.

8. wyatt.

wyatt. New Member

i only like the chloe status ribbons. so ties.

9. prretyinpink4

prretyinpink4 New Member

i love it i think some of them are great.

my friend did the coolest design, she put a scarf through a chain belt that she had. so chic. i just need more scarves :P

10. Tuti*Fruiti

Tuti*Fruiti New Member

I love it too, I remember this trend from last year! I use a brown chiffon animal print scarf and a stripy scarf "inspired by" (I know how you just love that ebay description :doh: ) Missoni!

11. vintage_princess

vintage_princess Adorable illusion

I think a lot of people are going to be following this trend again this Winter, I've seen loads of knit tops with a ribbon belts.

12. kelso03

kelso03 New Member

I do that! I prefer them to scarfs.

13. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I've always preferred to use silk scarfs, vintage ties, and some necklaces as belts. But recently I've been hunting for a vintage braided belt.

14. Misako

Misako within an embrace

I use ties as belts, and scarves as belts, as well - I like that they're not as rigid as most traditional belts, and it ads a funky spash of colour to my outfits. :smile:

15. lovespell

lovespell New Member

I like this look. I've been doing it for a while. I like buying a ton of scarves from Walmart and Target. I like the braiding together ribbons, and using that as a belt. Very girly and childlike. I think it's cute. :smile:

16. princess_tess

princess_tess New Member

I do the tie thing rather than scarves... I like the look of scareves but I haven't tried it yet... I nearly bought a pink one the other day... Might go back and see if its there

17. have_une_nice_day

have_une_nice_day New Member

Ribbons in particular and scarves tied round tops and jackets seem to be a big trend for A/W 2005! Very cute!

18. AlexN

AlexN New Member

I'm just kinda tired of the whole thing. Plus, in my opinion, very few people really pull it off. To me, it usually just looks like they're trying to be trendy.

I still think there's a lot to be done with "normal" leather belts. They need to be taken to a new level.

19. Puccipatterned

Puccipatterned New Member

I like it. I prefer scarves and ribbons as belts than traditional belts. They're more original and this winter I'm going to wear it so often.
    I absolutely adore Missoni ribbons for next summer! I wish I can find something similar now.

20. rouge

rouge New Member

I haven't tried it myself yet....I feel like they will accentuate my big-ish hips :glare: