Sean John Opens On 5th Avenue

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Aug 31, 2004.

1. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

2. faust

faust New Member

3. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

:cry: WHHHHHY!!!! :cry: Oh my god the pain!!!!

4. marcj

marcj New Member

Im having a very hard time believing that Sean John will rival other stores on 5th avenue... He has even been so delirious to refer to Gucci and even Prada as his competition. :rofl:

5. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

Oh my, somebody stop him.

What's with $895 faux fur throws and $205 matching pillows anyway????

6. faust

faust New Member

BLING-BLING

7. Theory

Theory New Member

Good for him, I'll have to stop by the store one day when I remember, LOL.
    I've actually liked some of the items from the Collection line. I'm very curious to see how well this works, his Sean John line sells extremely well in Macys and on Macys.com (the suburban kids can't get enough of it) but I'm going to take a wait and see approach as he targets the higher end market.

8. AlexN

AlexN New Member

I think this is all very interesting. Funny and kinda sad, but interesting. I'm anxious to see how it all plays out... :shifty:

9. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Hopefully with all of the other 5th ave. designers signing a petition to oust him........that's how it'll work out in my fantasy anyway.

10. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

that is so mean. the man finally has something he's really been wanting. i say good for him and i really hope he does well.

11. datura001

datura001 New Member

I agree with you; anybody who has ever tried to start a business knows how difficult it is to do it with any sort of integrity and dedication to your own sensibility. He's finding a market, it's working. People are just biased anyway; if Sean Combs did those silly little robots that Prada does or slashing clothes into Band-Aids like Helmut Lang, people would be ready to hang him.

12. Theory

Theory New Member

I :heart: your post, especially because it's 100% truth, especially the first part of what you said. But that's a discussion that I've touched on in another thread and won't bring into this one, despite the fact it's clear as day......but when you call people on it, people deny it and claim :innocent:

13. Spike413

Spike413 barcode

Mabye I am mean, but as an aspiring designer I resent people like him thinking that money buys talent....it doesn't. I absolutely hate the fact that his ego is inflated enough that he thinks that he deserves to be one of the people on 5th avenue.

I think people are totally biased because he has no talent for anything fashion, he probably couldn't cut a tube top let alone do the things people like Helmut and Miuccia do........besides, those people worked to get where they are, they didn't have the millions to fund whatever fantasy they currently had.

As for me being mean, I wouldn't call myself mean as much as I'd call myself someone with a taste for real fashion......sorry to sound harsh folks, but there's just no changing my mind on this subject.

14. Luna

Luna offline.

I dunno... some of his stuff is okay.. and some of it is just nasty...

But Hey... a store on 5th ave. Im curious if it will last. :smile:

15. mishahoi

mishahoi loaded and locked

hmmm...i also used to hate the fact that so many celebs think that just because they have the money and fame (tho no talent) they can start a clothing line.

but now im starting to think differently...as in to the *business* side of this. i mean, i like a lot of the stuff in sean john's collection line and know sure as hell he aint designing those clothes. so a designer gets paid big bucks to ghost design for puffy, they make a bunch of money, the line becomes well-known, then the designers leave to start their own lines with the big star on their resume that says they helped build up the fine designs of XXXXXXX.

without celebrities backing, i think that it would be hard for a lot of designers to get started. all you have to do is dump the celebrity eventually.

this is kinda off the topic slightly so to get back to puffy's 5th ave store opening, i say good luck to them :wink:

16. saturnine

saturnine New Member

I saw his collection last year, and thought some of the pieces were quite nice.

That being said, however, he doesn't even create his own designs, just slaps his name on them, how is that true fashion design, art, if you will?

:rolleyes:

17. JohnnyBoo

JohnnyBoo New Member

This is why I cant respect Sean John as an actual designer--he does think that his money can buy talent, and it soooo does not. I mean, maybe it'd be different if he actually went to school for it, or even had an internship under another designer, but nothing. To me, it just seems like he woke up one day and thought, "Gee, what can I do now? Oh, I know, I'll do clothing design." I say "What-ever!" to Sean John, the designer.

18. clay

clay New Member

Saturnine, its not about art....

As others said above, he does not design his own clothing, but does give style and design vision to his company. To which his name drives the brands power. However, he is a very rich man and has been rich for a long tme ( early twenties actually, how many people here can say that). My point about him being rich is that like many kids growing up in urban areas, they to have a appreciation for fine clothing as it is actually a part of black culture ( or at least style is. Not many have gucci money in that environment). Myself as a kid growing up in Oakland would run over to Wilkes Bashford, Versace, Macys, Nordstroms, in SF Union Square and day dream about the time I could afford such designer wear, but I settle for Polo, Tommy, American Rag, Thrift Stores,
    Giorgio Armani ( what came to be Emporio Armani later), Willie Smith, Yohji, Matsuda, Marshalls, Macy's Clearance, or anything I could find with great style, a designer name and a great student price ( read discounted). That aspiration lead me into the field of fashion design. However many of my buds did not,even though we shared the same love. But just as I am amazed at how much enthusiasm and knowledge TFS users have on fashion ( many are so young here yet so into it as I was at a young age) many people i grew up with have that same love and knowledge of fashion, though they are not in fashion, they know what is good, Ok or bad or least able to give an opinion on it with authority. PD comes from that. Ok getting back to my rich comment, he has been buying high end designer clothing for a long time, he has been rubbing elbows with these people for a long time. He has also grew up in Harlem and loves it and its people still ( Harlem is actually a center of style and has a long tradition of style, maybe not as much as iT used to be but the legacy is there, wether non Haremites pay attention or not). The two worlds have come together in him and Russel, Karl, and others. He lends his vision to a customer base that is broad at the bottom ( the real urban gear) and aspires to aquire high end customers also
    which he knows many that will support him especially entertainers.

I always say it, he is a business man that has the opportunity to make more money in the fashion industry than many of US here put together. That is what he is doing, he enjoys fashion.
    In most big companies the name on the door is not the person designing the line. Prada herself does not even know how to draw!!!!!!!!! When did Donna Karen last sew anything. We know Ralph started with a fat tie ( he did not sketch it he bought it and put his name on it). But Ralph by now knows a hell of a lot about couture, classic tailoring and the little details that make his company one of the biggest ever. Today PD knows more about fashion (technically and conception), business, finance, marketing and advertising than many smaller companies out there and many people here in certain aspects.

NOw, I get it. Many people just do not like PD. He is an ego driven maniac. People resent the fact that he does what he wants to do. People resent the fact that he has the audacity do it even more. As if he has not qualified for many things he has done. The truth is he is qualified to do what he does wether you like him or not. Wether you like it on the merrit of it or because he is PD is up to you. If you hate what he does because he is PD or because his music sucks, his design sense sucks, or has no talent as a actor ,OK say so. Most hate PD because he is PD. They see someone that associates with felons, a rapper( oh terrible), a show off, some think he is uneducated though he went to one of the top black colleges Moorehouse and he has started several successful businesses, he talks funny ( Donna Karan doesnt ?) or some think he is a real thug. Love him or hate him at least respect that he climbed to where he is on his own. To get where he is he made other people tons of money first, now he is doing what he does and did for others for himself. That is the american way. I say PD for president!!!!OK kidding here. Give him credit where it is due. I salute him.

:flower:

19. clay

clay New Member

Saturnine, to you i was only pointing out the "art" comment, the rest of my post went to the real haters because PD is simply PD

20. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

Clay, I understand your point and completely agree with you. But I still have to ask:

"$850 FAUX fur throught with $205 matching pillows?" WTF is that?