Sean John

ebowleg

Reaction score
During a recent episode of Fashion Television, Jeanne did a segment on P.Diddy's Sean John fashion label. Sandra Bernhart boldy mentioned that she believes that he pays someone to design the collections for him, and then he puts his name on it. Now, I am focusing on the runway portion of Sean John, not the other stuff, but does he really design it. The collections look like something he would wear, but is anybody really that multi-talented? I mean, he is over everything:
1. Clothing
2. Cars
3. Soft Drinks
4. TV
5. Rapper
6. Producer
I'm not saying that he couldn't do it, but I am just wondering what the truth is behind his label...
seanjohn.jpg

Sean-john-1.gif

Sean John is designed by Robert Rigutto. He used to work at Calvin Klein and Donna Karan.

Thanks, but it must be hard to put all of that work into a collection all for someone else to take cretdit for it. But, maybe it's once again the paycheck.

I think its normal for younger designers to do stuff which has another person's name printed on it. It happens everywhere.
And, does anyone know who that model in the red jacket is? He's kinda cute...

he is kind of cute lol

I guess a younger designer would do it because it's a good opportunity for exposure, and to make money, but it is lame that puff daddy talks about the label as though he had designed it

actually, i have never heard Puff mention he "designed" the collections. he approves EVERYTHING that comes out of the SJ house, but I have often heard him refer to his team of designers.

SJ is one of my favorite labels for men. he has transferred from an "urban label" to an internationally diverse label in just a few short years. Vive le Sean John!

I've never heard him regard his team of designers when he does interviews. He's usually mumbling some gibberish that he thinks he knows alot about from hanging out equally boring and unoriginal designers.

He might an entrepeneuer of some sorts,but I don't see this lasting that long. Everyone will eventually get sick of the high-lux hip-hopper by day and flamboyant corporate glamazon by night look :wink:

I don't think so, his SJ label has been raking in millions since 1997, and it is still going strong. I admit, his runway label might not sell as well due to the fact that it is supposedly made at the same quality Gucci, Ermengildo Zegna, and Prada is, and people probably won't take too much of a chance on his stuff. As far as his other lines go, it is very popular among people of all sorts.

i like sean john's stuff but john varvatos is my fav along with armani. but i agree he's has a reputable and profitable business. i dont know him to like him but he is a very good business person and i like that :woot: he is no worst than bill gates he knows how to get the most from his employees but i dont consider him a designer though just a good businessman.

its just like tommy and ralph..puffy just does more publicity and exposure on his own

Yup. But not for the sake of the clothes; just to fill what spaces that are empty in his already out of proportion ego. Which is another thing he has in common with such designers,I think. He's a prime example that having no actual talent gets you everywhere. But I feel his day will fade. Just my own opinion,of course. :flower:

I admire and respect Puffy as a business man, it doesn't matter that he says he designs his lines, So what? He doesn't come across as someone who would leave everything to his design team without overlooking any of it, as Scott is suggesting, I think Puffy is too together to be slack like that.

In interviews that i have seen and read about him,he gives props to his design team. Besides, how many designers out there, actually cut and design their pieces themselves? Im sure not many, so at the end of the day, people should not be badmouthing others because of their success or business tactics. Dont try and take credit from someone who puts up the big $$$, time and effort into making their businesses successful, jealousy would be the first thing to spring to mind. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by OriginalGucciGirl@Dec 24th, 2003 - 10:24 am
I admire and respect Puffy as a business man, it doesn't matter that he says he designs his lines, So what? He doesn't come across as someone who would leave everything to his design team without overlooking any of it, as Scott is suggesting, I think Puffy is too together to be slack like that.

In interviews that i have seen and read about him,he gives props to his design team. Besides, how many designers out there, actually cut and design their pieces themselves? Im sure not many, so at the end of the day, people should not be badmouthing others because of their success or business tactics. Dont try and take credit from someone who puts up the big $$$, time and effort into making their businesses successful, jealousy would be the first thing to spring to mind. :rolleyes:
First,I am NOT jealous of anyone,especially him. I just despise people who don't see things too clearly and get caught up with the highgloss imagery of power and fame. With alot of talented,underrated designers in NY and around the globe(with much more substance at that!!) and NO MONEY,he and the rest of the lot gets more credit than they do. All of course for nothingness. Frankly,that does not sit well with me,as I'm sure others as well.

As for your question,of how many actually cut and design their pieces themselves,ALOT do,quelle suprise. Especially,when you haven't got the money and the power as someone like he does to hire a staff...even a small one costs alot.

He sure does pour in the money but time and effort? Are you joking? He probably only comes in when its time to tread the catwalk at the end :rolleyes:

Originally posted by fashionrage@Dec 21st, 2003 - 6:55 pm
actually, i have never heard Puff mention he "designed" the collections. he approves EVERYTHING that comes out of the SJ house, but I have often heard him refer to his team of designers.

SJ is one of my favorite labels for men. he has transferred from an "urban label" to an internationally diverse label in just a few short years. Vive le Sean John!
i agree. i think he's a great businessman. I don't think he designs his things (just like JLo), but he does know what style he is trying to portray and that is why he has a designer who understand his vision make it and then he can give his opinion. I know he's not a real designer, but still I think he is doing a great job in this feild.

I do think he has an ego and a love for money. He just very well may be one of the ppl in this world who think money = power. You know? But I can't knock him b/c i don't care for it when there are apparently millions who do. He has to be doing something right. So I feel he should get at least That much credit.

Sean "P.Diddy" has never said he "designed". He is more like the creative director of Sean John....

P. Diddy is not the only designer to have a staff under him. Versace, Yves St. Laurent (before he retired), Marc Jacobs, etc., almost everybody does the exact same thing. Why are we singling out Diddy for doing what 90% of the other designers do? I mean, at least we have Manolo Blahnik who draws each shoe himself.

Given a sketch pad, markers, measuring tape, naked woman, fabric, scissors and a sewing machine, could Sean Combs actually make a garment with his own hands?

Obviously a fashion house is a team effort. But unless the person has these basic skills, it's fishy to see him take a bow on the catwalk.

Originally posted by Atelier@Dec 26th, 2003 - 1:59 am
Obviously a fashion house is a team effort.
Well said :wink: !

As far as I am concerned, I never heard P Diddy say he desgined by himself the Sean John line. But who really cares about it? I believe that it's the final product that counts (who really cares if it really was P Diddy or a little newbie designer that he just hired that made out some sweater)!

Anyway, I still find P Diddy to be an enourmosly clever businessman (because if he wasn't, he wouldn't be were he is today) and got some really nice style ! :blush:

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 22nd, 2003 - 9:07 pm
Yup. But not for the sake of the clothes; just to fill what spaces that are empty in his already out of proportion ego. Which is another thing he has in common with such designers,I think. He's a prime example that having no actual talent gets you everywhere. But I feel his day will fade. Just my own opinion,of course. :flower:
so so so true , im sick oh talentles people geting big companys becuas they have conections. :sick:

P. Diddy is not the only designer to have a staff under him. Versace, Yves St. Laurent (before he retired), Marc Jacobs, etc., almost everybody does the exact same thing. Why are we singling out Diddy for doing what 90% of the other designers do? I mean, at least we have Manolo Blahnik who draws each shoe himself.
shajopri, i think its actually 90% of desigenrs who actualy design and make clothes, its only that small 10% that can aford to hire people to do every thing for them :wacko:

I mean in the upper echelons of fashion, 90% of the designers work with staffs, which is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->