Seasons-collections

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by softgrey, Apr 21, 2004.

1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

Many have noticed and some people have commented on the fact that the seasons seem to have shifted...this is most probably due to pollution and global warming...whatever the reason...the result is that stores are full of mini-skirts, tank tops and sandals while there is still snow on the ground and vice versa...coats go ignored in the fall when we are experienciing a heatwave in november...

what are your thoughts?...should show schedules and store deliveries be shifted to adjust to the change in climate?...would this increase sales by having more relevant merchandise available according to the current global climate?...do you feel the shift in weather conditions where you are?...

thoughts please?... :flower:

2. kiimihaana

kiimihaana New Member

Pollution and global warming? surely you jest... changes like that take a LONG time.

Its purely marketing. The sooner the manufacturers can push the new merch on to the floor the more people will buy it in anticipation of the new season. You also may be seeing stores push "cruise" collections in January and February when people go on vacation. Never fear, they'll be marketing "Back to School" in June and July.

3. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Indeed. Stores always have, too. It would only be really troublesome to me if I couldn't find anything for the season. That hasn't really happened yet in my personal experience. The premature marketing of seasons can be avoided more easily in thrifts and off-price stores.

4. softgrey

darling...i do not jest...and it has taken a long time...but it is a scientific fast that the ozone layer is completely gone in some places---holes in the ozone layer---that's what that means...

i am not referring to resort/cruise collections...i am talking about the fact that no one bought a coat full price last year in NYC because it didn't even start getting cold until january and by that time all the coats had been in stores for months and were therefore marked down...this caused HUGE losses for the retailers...which will result in smaller orders for coats being placed this fall...which will in turn lead to HUGE losses for the coat manufacturers...

one solution is that stores are placing partial orders and then re-ordering if things sell...

what i'm wondering is whether we are headed towards a shift in the entire show and season schedule if things keep going the way they have been...and maybe that's not such a bad idea?>>> :flower:

5. kiimihaana

kiimihaana New Member

One year isn't enough to shift buyers into shifing the entire purchasing schedule. Companies plan in advance for these weather related losses (and gains too!), all of this is explained in their annual statements to investors. I'm sure things will be just fine.

6. softgrey

so i guess you haven't noticed a continuing shift in weather pattern where you are?...

i have lived in NY my whole life and i can tell you...the weather is not what it was 30-40 yrs ago...if it were just one year...i wouldn't be asking the question... ;)

7. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Please explain, softgrey. :flower:

8. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

while i can't fully buy into the seriousness of true global warming. i must say that there are some climate changes that have changed the way people dress at least in america...but also there are large cultural changes. i know i am not alone, but i have been causing a splash for several years now by wearing thong sandals throughout the winter...why? mainly because i am not outside in the cold that frequently. the longest "trek" i have through snow is from the valet stop to the front door of a restaurant. i'm no where near rich, but, in earlier times, you put on the layers because you were going to be outside for some span. now when i visit the major metropolises during winter and have to get a cab, that's when boots and coats come out, but normally, there's never a call for me to completely bundle up...i'm just not outside enough.

9. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

and to answer your question more directly...i think that the weather has changed...it's documented. even on the west coast with la nina and things...

10. softgrey

i thought i had...

heatwave in november...we used to have A LOT MORE snow...now it's rain instead...(warmer weather)...there really is a non-existent spring...we basically go from winter to summer in two days...it used to take three months...same with fall-it's super ridiculously warm in the fall and then suddenly it's the frozen tundra...anyone who grew up here can tell you...

you can no longer predict the weather...the news is always wrong...because they just don't know what;s going to happen...this was not always true...you used to pretty much be able to predict based on the past what the weather was going to do, but now it's doing something different and it's all new...

i am thinking that fashion is going to have to adapt somehow in order to maximize sales...and i'm wondering what's going on on the other side of the atlantic...whether they are experienceing similar shifts in weather patterns... :flower:

11. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

true, the climate is not the same and it feels stupid to buy coats
    in July.. but its the only way, early deliveries are the fastest to go.

there is a rising trend towards 'real-time' deliveries,
    but just to support 'early' deliveries that sell out quick.

regarding weather conditions, we are going through the
    'controlled temperature' phase, all seasons are a mid-season.
    heating and air-conditioning are creating a fixed temperature
    for all seasons. the only difference is on coats versus trenches.
    even sandals in the winter, boots in summer.. we've seen it all.

its already been semi-proposed by the french federation a move
    of the collections closer to the 'season' but see.. orders need to
    be placed much in advance in order to achive good 'early collection' sales.
    When you need to deliver in July you cannot take orders in April..

its a vicious circle.. but i'm afraid it has little to do
    with the apparent pollution-related weather chances.
    for those that think air pollution will take long to affect us,
    you'd better start googling on environmental issues...

you'd be much surprised :cry:

12. softgrey

so there is a climate change on your side of the atlantic as well lena?...

i know it's a vicious cycle, but maybe that only goes for the high end designers...maybe the chain stores could deliver closer to the seasons...the designer stuff sells on early deliveries, because there is high demand and limited production... but i don't think banana republic, for example, has that same advantage...and neither do most other mass market retailers...

it just seems odd to me that the weather change seems to have been completely ignored by the retailers...it seems like bad marketing strategy to me... :huh:

13. seditionary

seditionary New Member

yeah!

all that rubbish in school that we would never see the affects of global warming... is plain n utter bushi!

GLOBAL WARMING is happening NOW..... but nobody seems to really give a flyin shhh

everyone seems happy... that winter isnt cold...

but hello... since when has it been winter without snow?

n since when did we get snow in MARCH!!!! madness....

seasonal shift is rife in the uk... cant comment abt the rest of the world...

all i say is that i was in the fashion vs season mess n i won...

my friends thought i was mad to buy my ex russian army fur hat in feburary... a week or two later i got my first use of it.. in the snoooowww!!!!! whilst everyone frooze in their "spring" atire.... :wacko:

14. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

There is a definite change happening in the earth's weather patterns, and it has been happening for a long time. I, too, have spent my whole life on the east coast of the US, and the weather is becoming more and more bizarre. It was in the 60s today, but wasn't it still winter last week?

I read this article in the Guardian recently and it really :censored: me off-

It talks about not only temp changes due to global warming but also tsunamis and sky-rocketing risks of flooding in the UK

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...1119070,00.html

And to stay on topic, I think that stores will have to recognize these changes and stock accordingly, because they, unlike some of our govn'ts, have $$ to lose by NOT recognizing it.

15. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

don't even get me started on global warming

16. fuj

fuj New Member

I agree, softgrey, NYC's weather has gotten much different.

Spring totally took me by suprise this year, I was NOT ready. For example, on monday, it was like 80 degrees ( :blink: ) and I had on a sweater. I do think, however, that I am one of 50 females in NYC who has not worn a skirt in the past 3 days.

The weather has gotten much more interesting over the past 10 years... I can barely remember when huge snowstorms were the norm and snow days didn't occur in june. :cry:

As for your original question,(if i understand it correctly...i don;t think i do) i don't think that store deliveries should be adjusted for changes in climate..because no matter what there will be days or periods of unseasonably warm or cold weather... Unless the weather flip flops and I can fulfill my fantasy of wearing tank tops and sandals in january. :unsure:

i don't think theres been a dramatic enough change in the overall climate to have clothing that would normally be available in june on the floor in december.

17. Luna

Luna offline.

I wish all days in NYC could be like today and yesterday... it was absolutely beautiful..... and i had class both days. :(

I wore capris.. no skirts yet. ;)

18. Alliecat

Alliecat New Member

Global warming is global -in Korea we're missing spring - much like we missed fall... We have gone from extremely cold -35 thru to 25/27 degrees in a matter of two months..... For stockists its a nightmare, for buyers its the same and for me - well hell I was just cold and now Im just hot... :angry: :angry:

To quote Space

19. rayncloudx

rayncloudx New Member

it was supposed to rain today in ny.. but it was hella hot.

anyway, i'm one of the people that didn't buy a coat this winter... there was no need to and when i finally decided i needed one, all the pretty ones were gone :eek:

i think if global warming is drastically changing the weather and i mean, drastically, then the designers/marketers should think about it.. i keep telling myself that this kind of weather will end soon.

20. purechris

purechris no photos, no photos

Whether or not it's from Global Warming or just marketing, I think that the industry has started pushing the season's earlier and earlier every year. When I lived in Florida, I thought it was just that we were a different climate and just passed on all the sweaters and wool in July. Now that I'm in the great midwest, it still doesn't make much sense. Some of the lines I buy were showing me fur vests to be on the floor in June for the "transitional" season. Transitional to what, that's when it is just starting to get Summer hot. I mean today it's 52 out and last Tuesday it snowed, and I've had Spring/Summer dresses on the floor since Feb 1. They are selling but with hesitation on the customers part on when they can wear it. It has become v. frustrating as a buyer because you don't want to pass on some of the merch., but it just doesn't make sense to have it in the store for 2 months before the season REALLY arrives, by then it's already taken it's first markdown. Having the right merch at the right time is retailers biggest challenge. Sometimes I think I've got it figured out, then there are other times when I think we totally missed on something.
    Here's one that I've never been able to figure out: Suede jackets in Spring (when it rains 5 days a week) and Leather in May.
    :wacko: