Self Service No. 6 AW 1997 : Devon Aoki by Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

O M G

I'm feeling really thrilled, right now.

NEVER saw this issue ! neither in hands, neither on the web.

This issue has 146 pages with french and some english text.

Ad Campaigns
-Christian Lacroix
-Helmut Lang
-Y's Yohji Yamamoto
-Hussien Chalayan
-Raf Simons
-Veronique Leroy
-Victor&Rolf

Review
Black by Georages Tony Stoll,Jean Colonna,Sarah Morris,Paul Weatherball,Alister Mackie,
Florence Paradeis,Victoria Bartlett,Steven Klein,Andres Edstorm,Fred Helwig,Victor Rolf,Terry Richardson
Basically one to three pages dedicated to their works with little questionnaire.

The Well ft people in the industry i.e Valerie Massadian and Christopher Niqiet.
These profiles are in french and I can make out some sub headings like "nom and prenom" plus other obvious ones lol

Unique by Betta Komenda
Styling by Desiree Heiss
Modeled by Radana Kasparova
I like this ed cause the model has the same pose on purpose with different item of clothing. Very 90's minimalistic (well SS is basically that...)

Handmade by Mark Borthwick
Customized styling by Bless

Pleasures by Marcelo Krasilcic
Styled by Annett Monheim
Modeled by Sissel and Nandor

Set Up by Horst Diekgerdes
Styling by Camille Bidault-Waddington
Modeled by Tiffany@Storm, Esther @ Boss, Adam @ Take

Figures Libre by Nathaniel Goldberg
Styled by Suzanne Koller
Modeled by Nick Storey,Vernon,Phil Hill @ Select, Jeremy and Christopher.
(pre-2000 mags and their iding on models...sigh)
All clothes by Raf Simons.

Small talk: Raf Simons,Bill Laswell,Jean Touitou, Fabien Baron,Raymond Meier, Pascal Dangin, Bernadette Corp,V&R, Anna Piaggi.
Interviews and all of them are in English except Simons and Touitou...

I'd looooove to see the Viktor & Rolf campaign :shock:

thank you so much for posting the review!

Thanks so much for posting!

Love to see Black & Small Talk ^_^:heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish i could find the old issues. they were wonderfully inspiring compared with what they're doing today.

they were wonderfully inspiring compared with what they're doing today.
Gah I totally echo that, Scott. I was just looking at that Kostas Murkudis photographed by Bettina (two great creators you don't hear much of these days), and the serenity of the pose, similar but never really identical, the emphasis on the clothes despite not being a full body shot..it all feels lightyears away from the current state of publications and their priorities, I think only Encens comes close on that genuine interest to project new ideas and display avant-garde clothing in a thoughtful manner, and for its intricate construction instead of the attention the extravagance generates but still, it doesn't quite fill the gap left by magazines that either closed or changed their priorities completely..

thanks for scanning, mrsjamesdean, really looking forward to the advertisements, esp. hussein and raf's!.

^funny i was thinking that same thing. when was the last time we've heard kostas murkudis? loved his work. now it's only haltbar. and betttina :heart:

i agree though,i've seen magazines try similar methods but it doesn't quite feel the same as what self service and purple used to do.

Black;Klein & Richardson (2attact)

Attachments

• img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 40
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 69
Sorry the magazine is a bit wider then my scanner and the word article starts at the inside of the spine. So hopefully you can make some of the words out.

Fabien Baron,Raymond Meier, Pascal Dangin

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 20
  • img028.jpg
    img028.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 16
Anna Piaggi

Attachments

• img029.jpg
    img029.jpg