Shayne Laverdière - Photographer

Reaction score
I searched to check if there was a topic on him, and I was unable to find one. I also found this interview of him.

I'm always curious why people choose to become a photographer in the first place. What's your story?
I'm one of the lucky ones...I was given a Minolta SR-T when I was about ten years old, the first photo I took was of a church. Now I photograph women and beautiful places around the globe, (enter smile here). There never really was a reason why I started; the camera was just always there, around my neck. It chose me more than I chose it.

If you hadn't gone the photographer route, what would you likely have done?

I would probably rob banks, or become a hand model.

You have a strong bond with Richard Bernardin. How has working with him shaped what you do?

Rich is the second photographer I ever assisted, the connection and affinities were heartfelt and immediate between us. Richard is without a doubt my greatest friend and mentor in this business and working closely with him has definitely honed my shooting skills. Most importantly though, as anyone knows in this business, taking the photo is a relatively small part of the equation. It's all the rest I have learned from Rich over coffee or a Mish-Mash, not over a camera, that have been the most important parts of my learning curve.

A couple years ago you skipped off to Paris for a while. What was your motivation for that, and how does it change the way you see things?
Let's just say I'm very weary of dating models now ;-)

The "Personal" section of your website features lot of models. Which models have influenced you through your career?
Most of the personal imagery on my site is quite old. Generally speaking the models were newbie's so I think It's safe to say I got something from every model at that time, I still do! No one in particular really "influenced" my work.

Your website's "Travel" section is breathtaking. Any plans to do more work outside of fashion?
Yes actually, I do want to start focusing my energies on getting more travel clients as well as fashion clients. Everybody tells me I have to concentrate on one or the other but I'm going to try and prove this wrong. It's is absolutely necessary for me to go capture "real world" images. It's also a great way to travel for free.

What was you first story published in print, and how did it feel to see it there?
My first published work was for the Chronicle Telegraph in Quebec city, it was about my high school senior basketball team loosing a game, I was 14 and on top of the world.

Where do you see yourself in a year from now?

I would like to be sharing my time between Montreal, Toronto and Europe. I was recently published in Standard Magazine in France and the interest for my work seems to be pointing in that direction. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
modelresource

Last edited by a moderator:
Under Your Spell
Magazine: Dress To Kill, April 2012
Ph: Shayne Laverdiere
Model: Ryan ?
Stylist: Yso
Hair/Makeup: Jessica LaBlanche

fashiongonerogue

Elle Canada July/August 2021

North Queen

Photography: Shayne Laverdèire