Slow And Steady Wins The Race

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by softgrey, Sep 21, 2004.

1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

art or fashion...you decide... :flower:

http://www.slowandsteadywinstherace.com/index_all.html

click on each category to see images and read about each edition of slow and steady wins the race...

click on the name for an overview and history...

very interesting conceptual work...very ... :heart: :flower:

2. softgrey

ABOUT SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

How come experimental ideas only exist in the high-priced avant-gardian realm? How come The Gap and H&M only provide trickle down basics?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race transposes these two different arenas into each other.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race is a new clothing label, presented as a bimonthly clothing diary, cataloguing ideas that are focused on a specific and fundamental characteristic of clothing design.

With each issue Slow and Steady Wins the Race, intends to slowly open the cap on a more democratic dissemination, promotion and appreciation of clothing.

The mission of the label is to push and produce interesting and significant pieces from the simplest and most inexpensive fabrics and materials.

Only one hundred copies of each issue will be printed and distributed to magazines and select stores and only one hundred pieces of each style will produced.

3. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

oh i lvoe there stuff :P

4. TriniFashionPho

TriniFashionPho New Member

[​IMG]

Hey I do that with my sleeves when i'm lazy lol.

conceptual yes but also still functional many of the pieces.

5. softgrey

NEW CONTEXT

If one were to take a moment to pause and breath, one would realize the density of information, material and history the world has accumulated and fashion's immense contribution to those realms.

The last fifty years has seen fashion's rapid growth, influence and far-reaching arms wrapping in, out and around culture and society.

And with each passing year, new faces and new ideas pop into existence, which in turn sprout, float and germinate into more categorical stuff. As a result, a decided amount is kept and a more considerable amount is laid to waste.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race is a quiet reaction to this fact.

Its aim is to yield a limited number of fresh pieces in a regulated pace throughout the calendar year. This accelerated pace is a commentary on modern fashion's temporal nature. The costs and quantity of production are purposefully kept low to help promote the idea of a democratic and grass-roots distribution.

Through this visual and social metaphor, Slow and Steady Wins the Race hopes to have its ideas and products reach a wide audience and foster the appreciation and creative progression of clothing design.

6. softgrey

i love the bags... ^_^

7. clay

clay New Member

Very cool! Thanks SG!

8. softgrey

you're welcome clay... :flower:

9. cerfas

cerfas Active Member

I love this stuff.
    A great balance of art & fashion. I think the pieces are really successful for what they are, strong concept, but also desirable as objects.

10. helena

helena Swim Upstream

I really like the bags - I like the idea of playing with a status symbol by making it up in a low status fabric. its sort of like challenging the strength/integrity of the original designs.... I think the balenciaga bag & the birkin are the strongest designs.

thanks for bringing this up softgrey

#10 helena, Apr 21, 2005
    Last edited by moderator soulblazer303: Apr 21, 2005
  11. fab_fifties_fille

fab_fifties_fille crossed wires.

Oh wow, thank you very much for posting that soft! :flower:

I absolutely love the stuff, the idea behind the bags especially ^_^

The lines between art and fashion in cases like this are definately blurred

12. shapeofthings

shapeofthings Member

Slow and Steady is Mary Ping, right?

13. cerfas

cerfas Active Member

I thought I saw something connecting her with Slow & Steady once, but ...I was not positive

14. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

Yes, she designs the line. But it is not the same as her signature line.

15. travolta

travolta New Member

wow thank you thank you soft! they are my first independent label i am really attracted to. i'm surprised something like this hasn't happened already.

this really is very smart. you are right about how "avant garde" innovations are rarely trickled down. i actually do think the GAP is a pretty smart mainstream store, and H & M for that matter in terms of style-excluding innovation. just the other day i saw online a hussein chalayan shirt that had a duel function..and all it took was a snap and voila short sleeve and sleeveless. i wish all of my clothes were so versatile! an item with multiple functions is something i'd definately pay big bucks for! again..this is another reason i love what issey miyake is doing...with things like pleats please.

anyways, i really liked the Pockets...it is one of the strongest ideas. also the Prints, because it highlighted the process and evolution of the garment..although i wish it would have various placements and to me it comes off as a vector sternum-skeleton..too abstract and too limiting. the Bag is cute, and if launched at say urban outfitters i can see it being very novel to people, but it would wear off. the designer underwear was cool just because i would love to own it!

overall, i like the conceptual clairty-the idea of icons in culture/ aesthetics and symbols..and it is feasible to link it to inexpensive fabrics and materials and simple but innovative construction.

16. Arturo21

Arturo21 New Member

Very interesting, thankyou, softgrey. :flower:

These things are beautiful. It's refreshing to see something like this at least every once in a while in the world of fashion.
    I admire the project, and the entire aesthetics of the label as a whole.
    This is the single piece I liked the most:[​IMG]

Does anyone know how/where these items will be distributed? Or how/where they are made? Fit?

<edit> maybe this answers my first question:

#16 Arturo21, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited by moderator : Apr 22, 2005
  17. Arturo21

Arturo21 New Member

Another question..how are designers taking this?

Positively? Negatively?

So many questions :blush:

18. cerfas

cerfas Active Member

I wonder what pricing is like --or if these things are still being made? If anyone finds something out, post info here ! :>

19. Frances

Frances New Member

I think it's very interesting work- great concept.

20. jennifer~

jennifer~ Active Member

From an online boutique, Ooga Booga,

An alternate bio from the Victoria & Albert Museum shop suggests that she prefers (or preferred, at the time of the brand's conception) to conceal that fact, but the gaps can be filled in easily...

I've discovered her bags recently and I'm very obsessed with the Ultimate, a canvas hybrid of Hermes, Balenciaga, Gucci, and Chanel (maybe more). It's half ugly/half harmonious.

[​IMG]
    (oogaboogastore.com)