So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

lolalemon said:
I'm 15 and about 5"7, but I've never ever had a growth spurt and according to my doctor I'm going to be like 6". The thing is though, I don't have insanely long legs. I'm not Britney-style squat or anything, I mean I wear a 32 inseam, but would that be acceptable? Or do they only want 34 and up regardless of your height?

Also, I live in Toronto. Should I send out my pictures (if I can despite lack of giselle legs) to the offices of Elite and Ford and the like here in Canada or should I go after the NYC ones anyway? Thanks so much!

Hmm...I dunno....I'm 17 and 5'7'' but i've got 40 inch legs from the hip down and I can fit into tall sized pants....so im not quite sure if you would be accepted for runway or not...my agency says that usually designer's don't mind your height as long as your legs are as long or almost as long as the girls taller than you...so i dunno....im with Marilyn btw.:P

ablutophobic said:
Yeah Alba, that's the exact same email I got. Mail is sooo slow though haha, and expensive too. I was a bit confused at first because those are the exact pictures I sent that they are asking for now. I think I'll do what Alexx suggested but it's a bit repetitive since I already did it and it might be pointless and annoying to NY Models since I think they mean normal mail, so I'm hesitant to email them again.

Star, I replied to Jenn and asked her some questions, but she's out of office for another week so I don't know yet.

Stylexstar, I'm 6' (184cm) and 32-25.5-36.5 and I just turned 17 two months ago. I've been to the Next forum and put my pics on the ImagePro a week or so ago hoping to get an honest opinion because they seem very blunt and honest there, but no one has gotten back to me yet because they're on vacation. Their requirements are harsh! They want PERFECT people. I don't think a single model fits their "needs" because they are so specific.

How close are Next Canada and the other Next locations? At nextmodels.com, there's no link to the Canadian site, but they get mentioned I think. If you sign with Next Canada, how likely are you to get signed with the other Next locations?

I think I'll write and ask if they prefer my pics by mail or e-mail...then I can pass on the answer I hopefully get!
Oh! You are so tall...wow. Can't you give me an inch?:P

Alba said:
uh...I just got a mail from women models- ablu, it seems we've got the same problem...it do sounds like they wan't you to send the pics by mail...? weird?
but exciting...should I do it:wink:???
This is what the mail says:

Thanks for sending in your photos to New York Models. We think you have a great look and would like to see more photos on you. If you could please take very simple natural photos with the following in mind: no makeup, hair off the face, body shots, head shots, with a plain background. We really do not want to see professional photos. All photos you send in will not be returned unless you send a self addressed stamped envelope. Thanks again and we will be in touch when we receive the photos.

Best

Erin Lundgren

u sent ur pics in by email i'm assuming---- so why would they want u to send pics in by mail???hmmm...but anyway Erin Lundgren---I saw her at a event! I think shes Gerren Taylor's agent or sumthin..i kno shes associated wit her!..but anyway congratualations!

Ariez said:
Thanks Cherry and KhaoticKarma. I'm with Thompson Model Management in nyc. I need to build up my portfolio but i still want to get a good list of agencies for when I feel satisfied with all my pictures. I copied down some of the ones from the first page that seem pretty good. Yeah and whoever told you that you had to be 16 is on crack haha j/k. Has anyone ever been to ModelMayhem.com?
LoL.to answer ur quest.Yea I been on that site....its ok..it gives u a lot of info on models n stuf as far as wat fashion shows they've been in.j/w have u ever been to a model search??

After I try modelling, I want to either become a lawyer, forensic scientist, pathologist, forensic psychiatrist/psychologist, or... I haven't decided yet. You can tell I watch too much CSI though haha. I'm looking around at types of engineering right now too.

ablutophobic said:
Yeah Alba, that's the exact same email I got. Mail is sooo slow though haha, and expensive too. I was a bit confused at first because those are the exact pictures I sent that they are asking for now. I think I'll do what Alexx suggested but it's a bit repetitive since I already did it and it might be pointless and annoying to NY Models since I think they mean normal mail, so I'm hesitant to email them again.

Star, I replied to Jenn and asked her some questions, but she's out of office for another week so I don't know yet.

Stylexstar, I'm 6' (184cm) and 32-25.5-36.5 and I just turned 17 two months ago. I've been to the Next forum and put my pics on the ImagePro a week or so ago hoping to get an honest opinion because they seem very blunt and honest there, but no one has gotten back to me yet because they're on vacation. Their requirements are harsh! They want PERFECT people. I don't think a single model fits their "needs" because they are so specific.

How close are Next Canada and the other Next locations? At nextmodels.com, there's no link to the Canadian site, but they get mentioned I think. If you sign with Next Canada, how likely are you to get signed with the other Next locations?

Wow you're so tall!

I read their forums and was like "what?!" and this one person replied about how an alien would fit their standards! lol

I started a thread there but no one's replied since they're on "vacation."

Modelling is my first dream, but, if it doesn't work out I wanna go for fashion design, fashion journalism/editing, etc. I love the fashion industry!

Is singapore a good starting place for models wanting to work overseas? Im eurasian, half filo half english and im 5 foot 10 in Australia, is it a good market for eurasians? What are some reputable agencies? Has anybody worked over there before. Sorry for all the questions.

CandiApple17 said:
Hmm...I dunno....I'm 17 and 5'7'' but i've got 40 inch legs from the hip down and I can fit into tall sized pants....so im not quite sure if you would be accepted for runway or not...my agency says that usually designer's don't mind your height as long as your legs are as long or almost as long as the girls taller than you...so i dunno....im with Marilyn btw.:P

40 inch legs? Damn girl you're lucky. I'm actually more interested in doing editorial work over runway anyway cause I'm an art *** and love fashion photography dearly, and also cause I'm a friggin clutz who'd trip and ruin a show. Especially since I'd inevitably end up in the highest heels I can't possibly walk in being 'short' (hah .. my school is like 90% asian, my friends call me Tree) anyway.

As for what I want to do after modeling, I'm sort of crossing my fingers and hoping I make a ridiculous enough salary to live comfortably for the rest of my life. Somehow I doubt that will happen. So I'd love to do humanitarian work abroad with the UN or Peace Corps or something like that.

^Haha, I have a friend who calls me Tree.

I wear 36" inseam pants but my actual inseam is 34.5 or 35"... just a bit too long to wear 34", especially after they go through the dryer.

Waiting for emails from agencies suck haha. I guess it's taking longer now because everyone is on holiday too. I'm annoyed that one of them didn't send a reply actually, because they already replied asking to meet me and they wanted to meet yesterday but I couldn't make it so I replied on Saturday and they haven't replied yet. I know they got the message because the meeting time has already passed and he wanted me to message him back to confirm/reject the meeting time. Grr.

how tall is susan eldridge. for some reason she always struck me as smaller

I've met Susan at a casting.....she's about 5'9'' at the most...she doesn't look very tall...in her pics she always looks so long...but when I seen her she looked rather stumpy....

I know this sounds stupid but, by what do you measure your legs? I've never done it when shopping for pants or anything so I'm clueless at the moment...:blush:

how much do you think one should weigh if they are 5'7 in order to be a model??

its not really about weight, its about measurments

im 5'10.5" and i weigh 115..

I'm 13-14 and 5'4.5 (still growing) and 107... I have a fast metabolism so I an eat what I want and be pretty skinny/thin, but I guess I'm considered fat for models. As much as I dream of being a model, I will never starve myself. I can give my all to the industry but if they don't want me, then forget them. It's either take it or leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
stylexstar said:
I'm 13-14 and 5'4.5 (still growing) and 107... I have a fast metabolism so I an eat what I want and be pretty skinny/thin, but I guess I'm considered fat for models. As much as I dream of being a model, I will never starve myself. I can give my all to the industry but if they don't want me, then forget them. It's either take it or leave it.

That's the best attitude to have, honestly. Eating disorders can mess girls up so badly, they're absolutely horrible to see unfold. And also, when I was 13 I was around that tall .. and now almost three years later I'm 5"7/5"8 and I've never even had a growth spurt yet. Just wait it out and who knows!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->