So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

lovespell

Reaction score
Moderator's note:

This thread is for asking about and sharing information about how one becomes an agency model ... how agencies work, how you get paid, what they are looking for. However ... we do not allow posting of personal infomation, stats,sizes, pictures, etc. for feedback about your suitability to be a model.

Per our Community Rules, weight talk is not allowed in this thread, even if it is pertinent to your modeling career.

Only agencies can determine your suitability to model and that is who you should share your information with.

We will edit and/or delete posts with personal infomation or pictures or if you are asking for a critique.

How does one do this?

Do you just show up at the doorstep of an agency? Wait for a scout to spot your incredible beauty in some obscure place and beg you to come model for them :rolleyes: ? Send pictures in?

Does anyone have the addresses of well known modeling agency's?

How many and what kind of pictures do you send in? Do they have to be taken by a pro, or can they just be snapshots?

What other info do you need to send with them?

What are agencies really looking for? I mean, they have a ton of beautiful thin girls dying to model for them. What's the deciding factor?

Does anyone on here work "behind the scenes" in the modeling world?

I'm so curious. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm off for the family new years eve thing, but I WILL respond. I promise!!! B) :flower:

Hello!

Well-known, I wish, someday.

Anywho! You asked all the right questions. Its not often that happens. Its more like, "I'm 5'2, look like reese witherspoon and my friends think I'm pretty. Do you think I can be a model?". But yay for you! :smile:

Alright, yes. Most top models were discovered. Whether walking down the street, eating McD's, so be it. Either discovered by agents themselves or photographers. I would be extra extra careful with any "photographers" that were to approach you. They may say they are a well known photog, and even use the right name. But, how many well known photographers are known for what they look like? Not ANY! Be careful. Also stay away from any "online agencies". Rediculous concept people. Plain rediculous. I'm not going to elaborate, just stay away.(E Model, Wilhelmina Scouting Network **not to be confused with the actual Wilhelmina Agency, Wish Network, and so on).

Modeling conventions. Okay. Good and bad. Good if you can't travel to NYC or La. But, if you can't travel to nyc or la, you better reconsider this whole modeling thing. Yes, there may be modeling "agencies", in almost every major city in this country. But, whether or not there is a working market, thats a completely different story. REAL MODELING-NYC! Secondary, LA. POINT BLANK PERIOD!!! Chicago-A few catalogues, Miami-Bathing suits, umm thats it. Back to the conventions, waste of money, you PAY to be seen by all these agencies at the same time. Thousands of girls will be there. How do you know that your 30 seconds on the "catwalk", all the possible agencies will be looking at you, and not out the window. Um, exactly.

I do not advise you to walk around the streets of NY or LA waiting for someone to discover you, nor do I want you to waste any money on Modeling Conventions. What I would like you to do is......
get yourself in front of a white wall.
in a bathing suit.
little or no make up please. :smile:
no posing.

have you photos/polaroids look like this.

http://modemodels.com/become_a_model/snaps...oguidelines.htm

Want to know if you really have what it takes? Send these photos into the top ten agencies for Women in NYC. These are the most coveted agencies for a girl to become signed to. If one, or more!, are interested, you have a great chance of working. Although, just because you get signed, does not mean you will work!

If possible!!!!!!! Call alllllll these agencies and find out their open call times. Open call-A mini interview with someone for each of these agencies. If they like you, a possible polaroid will be taken, you may have to walk for the rest of the agents on the board. And maybe even be presented with a contract right on the spot!!! Be sure to bring your photos/polaroids with you! Dress simply. Not too distracting. Make sure what you are wearing shows off your insane body! Little or no make up. And its okay to be nervous! And its okay if they say no! If they ask you to come back in a couple of months, GREAT!!! If you do not get a positive response from ANY of these agencies. You may want to reconsider. You do NOT want to go wasting any money on professional photo tests, portfolios, online portfolios, etc. Its just not realistic. :smile:

You should know! These agencies have uber tough requirements.

Females- 5'8+ 34-24-34 ages 16-24 ALWAYS exceptions, but realistically, please. :smile:

With your photos you should include your:
First Name
Last Name
Address
Telephone Number
Height
Bust/Waist/Hip Measurements
Eye Color
Hair Color
Best of Luck!!!!!!!! :flower:
:lucky:

Top Ten Agencies For Women. Models.com

10 Major
381 Park Avenue South, #1501
New York, NY, 10016
United States
tel: 212 685 1200
fax: 212 683 5200
email: [email protected]

9 Karin
6 W 14 Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY , 10011
United States
tel: 646 638 3330
fax:

8 T Management
91 Fifth Avenue,
New York, NY, 10003
United States
tel: 212-924-7779
fax: 212-645-4940

7 Ford
142 Greene Street,
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: 212 219-6500
fax: 212 966-1531
web site: http://fordmodels.com

6. Vision
111 West 17th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY, 10001
United States
tel: 212-414-4323
fax: 212-414-4436

5. New York Models! Woo!! (My agency :wink:)
596 Broadway, 7th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: (212) 539 1700
fax:
web site: http://www.newyorkmodels.com/

4. (tied) Marilyn
300 Park Ave South, 2nd floor
New York , NY, 10010
United States
tel: 212-260-6500
fax: 212-260-0821
web site: http://www.marilynagency.com

4. (tied) Elite
111 East 22nd Street,
New York, NY, 10010
United States
tel: 212-529-9800
fax:
web site: http://www.elitemodel.com

3.(tied) 1 Model Mgmt
424 West Broadway, 2nd floor
New York, NY , 10012
United States
tel: 212-431-0054
fax: 212-431-1723

3.(tied). NeXt
23 Watts Street, 5th floor
New York, NY, 10013
United States
tel: 212 925 3900
fax: 212 925 3905
web site: http://www.nextmodels.com

2. (tied) Dna
520 Broadway, 11th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
tel: 212 226 0080
fax: 212 226 2566
web site: http://www.dnamodels.com/

2. (tied) Women
199 Lafayette Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY, 10012
United States
Check this Agency's BBB Record
tel: 212-334-7480
fax: 212-334-7492
web site: http://www.womenmanagement.com

1. IMG
304 Park Avenue South, 12th Floor
New York, NY, 10010
United States
Check this Agency's BBB Record
tel: 212 253-8884
fax: 212 253-8883

:flower:

wow that was really nice of you almostfamous.....i am sure lovespell will be more than thankful for all your info!!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful, realistic advice Taylor. Very helpful, and much appreciated. :heart:

Originally posted by lele@Jan 1st, 2004 - 7:42 pm
wow that was really nice of you almostfamous.....i am sure lovespell will be more than thankful for all your info!!!!
i agree! that was very informative for those that aren't pursuing modeling as well...good to know!...thanx! :flower:

Before I could start modeling, I had to convince my mom I was ready. Remember, I was a little 14 years old! haha This is alllll the information I came up with after about a year of research. I only wish I had someone around to answer all my questions...at once. :P

You're really helpful, almostfamous.

The info you provided are sure to be very informative for those young ladys :flower:

almostfamous! how old are you and what agency are you in.. id like to see your pictures :wink:

...so say if someone is 5'5" there's no hope? or should they still try the same agencies for print work..or what do u guys think? :unsure:

Realistically, if you are not between the ages of 16 and 20, 5'8, and have never modeled before. You will probably NOT get a top nyc agency. I'm not saying that no one could get signed by any agency. But I'm talking about top NYC agencies. The ONLY agencies that will get their models work. If you want to sign with an agency just to be able to say that you are a model, then there are tons of agencies for that.

90% of print models are 5'8+. Most companies use the same agencies, which happen to be the top agencies in NYC. Which most, if not all, of their models are 16-20 and 5'8+.

There's absolutely nooooo harm in sending in your pictures or going to open calls, even if you do not meet their listed requirements. You never know. They might just see something!

But remember, the most notorious of the tiny models were discovered. They never really wanted to be models in the first place. The agencies knew exactly what they wanted, and saw it in these unconventionally short girls. If Devon and kate were 5'10, they STILL would have worked like Crazy and had super model status. B)

Originally posted by AlmostFamous+Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlmostFamous @ Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-santsa@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 3:07 pm
almostfamous! how old are you and what agency are you in.. id like to see your pictures :wink:
I'm signed with new york model mgmt.
http://imaging.modelwire.com/servlet/AutoP...7O1047681772000
me
:P [/b][/quote]
do you live in new york???

Originally posted by santsa+Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(santsa @ Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:28 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-santsa
@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 3:07 pm

me
:P
do you live in new york??? [/b][/quote]
I live three hours from new york. I'm like an "on call" model. Whenever they need me, I'm there. I just have to know the day before. If its that important, it can be reschedualed.

During exam week last year, I booked a job for what I didn't know at the time was a really really really kick *** Italian mag that would have brought GREAT tears in my book. My booker got really mad at me for not being able to go to this job because I had a final exam in Spanish that day. W/o that exam, I would have not passed 10th grade. I guess you have to have priorities. :cry:

Originally posted by AlmostFamous+Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlmostFamous @ Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-santsa@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 3:07 pm
me
:P [/b][/quote]
In some of your pictures I really think you look a bit like Mini Anden...

Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 10:28 pm
I live three hours from new york. I'm like an "on call" model. Whenever they need me, I'm there. I just have to know the day before. If its that important, it can be reschedualed.

During exam week last year, I booked a job for what I didn't know at the time was a really really really kick *** Italian mag that would have brought GREAT tears in my book. My booker got really mad at me for not being able to go to this job because I had a final exam in Spanish that day. W/o that exam, I would have not passed 10th grade. I guess you have to have priorities. :cry:
Yes, you do have to have priorities and I'm so glad that your education is one of them! Good luck, taylor!!! :kiss:

Originally posted by solider+Jan 26th, 2004 - 3:52 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(solider @ Jan 26th, 2004 - 3:52 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 4:26 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-santsa
@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 3:07 pm

me
:P
In some of your pictures I really think you look a bit like Mini Anden... [/b][/quote]
I get that quite often, and I cannot complain. She is one of my FAVE models, ever. Mini, May, and Tetyana B. B)

TeaLady-there isn't any getting around it, to do anything after modeling, you need to have an education. :smile: :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->