So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

I've noticed that some of our tFS members would love to be a model. There's so much you need to know. Here's some of the info:

Send only poaroids to an agency,they don't want beauty shots. Wear very simple clothing and no mk up.

Don't call them,they'll call you if they're interested.

Find out the agencies open call days. This is the best way to go if you can.

If you get a contract, have a lawyer look it over.

The first step after signing is the Test shoot. The agency will foot the cost if you have potential,but it will come out of your check after your first booking. Be prepared in some cases you will be ask to disrobe to some degree,the degree is up to you. If your not comfortable with this say so.

When the test come back,the agency will let you know in what direction you will be headed, local market, catalog,editorial etc. It all depends on how you came out on film.

If they think you have potential you will be sen on a round of go sees to all the important clients, major magazine casting directors,important photographers, big clients etc.

Their response depends on where you go from there, many new faces are sent to foreign markets like Paris,Milan,or Australia to build up their book and get their faces seen in different markets.

If a famous designer or photographer picks you up and makes you his muse, you will be on your way to the top. If not you will make the rounds each day to different casting and go sees in hopes that you will land some nice $$$ jobs and stay afloat till your "day i n the sun" comes (if it ever does).

If you are somewhat slim and are 5'9 and up Runway is another way to get noticed. You will be sent to 10-20 castings a day prior to fashion week. You will see hundreds of gorgeous girls/guys. Be prepared to be rejected,say thank you and hope for better luck on the next one. Clients will look at your book,if you've got a chance ,be ask to try on their clothes and polaroids will be taken. This still does not guarantee anything till your booking calls confirming you for the job.

Give it a certain amount of time to work for you,take a job on the side to stay afloat, If it's meant to be it'll happen but if not you gave it your best shot. :flower:
some very important tips be available,live in NY, have a cell phone,look for contacts,find a great agency and booker. Good Luck :flower:

Originally posted by Nixon058@May 2nd, 2004 - 10:23 am
Thanks for the advice! :heart:
Your welcome ,I'm sure some of other model members have advice to add. I would love to see more. :heart:

i dont think im cut out for it to be honest
i have the height now and everything but my face doesnt photograph as well as it looks in real life. i never know what to do with my mouth so i always look like im doing a dumb pout

1 more inch and i could have a shot at runway. bleh.

A few of the pitfalls I forgot to mention:

Too much partying(we've seen a few girls sent home for this) Net working is important,but there's a difference.
Not eating right either too much or too little(and all the downfalls that go with it like anorexia, bulimia etc.)Also rest is important, make sure you get enough.
Not having some kind of support system,your family, friends or someone you can talk to. On the bad days it gets pretty lonely.
Compromising yourself,for some models this is the way to the top,but is it worth it?
Getting too full of yourself,there's always someone else waiting in the wings.

Ok that's all for now, I hope it doesn't scare you off. It's the hardheaded ones that make it. :hardhead:

For catalog modeling do you have to be 5'7 or taller. I've been approached by alot of agencies but I don't think im tall enough. I was just wondering if this was true.

great advice model mom!Thanks i ll pass it on to the models i scout

Wow that is great advice, I have no aspirations to be a model, but I am doing research for a story I am writing on modeling so this was quite helpful. I have found lots of useful advice on this forum for my research.

~Amara ^_^

Originally posted by model_mom@May 2nd, 2004 - 10:20 am
If you get a contract, have a lawyer look it over.
Your OWN lawyer, not one the agency recommends. It pays to be prudent when it comes to contracts. :wink:

Wow, if I ever have a friend who wants to be a model that's a fairly comprehensive guide. Good job!

Thank you. I just wish we had known all this when Ali first started modeling. You wouldn't believe how many mistakes we made by not questioning certain things. The biggest shock was the charges taken off her first check, it was all legit but it adds up so fast. Luckily shes out of the hole now,thanks to a wonderful booker and some good jobs. :flower:

that's really kind...hehe, even if i'm not the model type

I'd make a terrible model, but I still really enjoyed reading this. I'm sure many of the potential models at the forum will definately be appreciative. Your topics are always so thoughtful model_mom... :heart:

Originally posted by VuittonSweetie!@May 2nd, 2004 - 12:37 pm
I'm only 5'2....just to short :(
I here ya'. 5'3 here. Even if I were 7 inches taller it's way too cut throat for me.

Yeah, great tips ModelMom!
I also can't stress the nightlife part enough. It really pays to get sleep and pass on a lot of nights out because it really starts to show in your face/body if you're always out on the town. Some of my friends have reputations for being party girls and I've heard clients openly critisize their behavior. I know I shouldn't talk :blush: but I always feel more ready for a job if I get more rest.

And seriously, watch your money...both at the source (i.e. pay stubs/statements) and how you choose to spend it. Send some home if you have to but saving really comes in handy when work slows down. :flower:

:blush: This is kind of stupid, but...
I'm sixteen and I still have fantasies about becoming an actress (I'm not model material, but I thought that this thread might be useful). :blush: I love to act and I've bee told that I'm good, although I know that the business is really tough. I would still like to at least try to audition for some things, so that I' have the experience and so that I'll at least have tried. Do you guys have any tips, warnings, suggestions, etc? Also, I'm only about 5'6.5" tall. Is this too short? I would really like to try this kind of thing...

My fantasies aside...about some more realistic dreams: I have a friend with an incredible voice. We're in select groups together, but she's waaay better than I am. She has serious dreams of being on Broadway, and I think she can do it. Do you have any tips or information that I could pass on to her? She's truly amazing, and her parents might be willing to move to New York for her. She's worried that she's running out of time because there's a myth about the people who are really successful haveing gotten started at certain ages. She's almost sixteen and at the end of her sophomore year in high school (my grade). What do you guys know about this kind of myth and do you think it's true? Plus, does it apply to things other than Broadway, or film acting, too?

Thanks so much in advance. Sorry to change the topic so much. The advice is all so interesting and informative for models that i just wondered what you had to say about acting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->