So You Want to Become a Model? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

eloes, where do you live?

If your friends parents are willing to move, and she is truly talented, I say go for it. However, if their moving will cause problems (financial especially) she shouldn't do it until she at least graduates high school. Also, you can almost never be too short to be an actress. In fact, most actresses are on the shorter side as are the leading men. I have found my height (5'9) to be a bit of an issue because though I look young (I am 16) the people I play opposite are often shorter than I am. One time they even put the guy playing my boyfriend on a box and me in a hole :lol: (we were on the beach)!

I understand the whole myth about getting started early, I too am an aspiring actress and at one point I was actually upset with my parents for not taking me to auditions earlier (I am sixteen and started at about 10)! The myth is partially true, when I first met my manager she said my resume was weak because I had begun acting (both professionally and in local productions) a'late'. :rolleyes: I have gotten over this handicap by being in indie films for college kids (looks good for film expierance) and am looking to segway into modeling and even more professional (and paying :flower: ) film work.

I'd say your best bet would be to buy a Ross Reports (a pamphlet/magazine) at your local bookstore and find some agencies to send pictures, a cover letter and a resume to. If you live in the NY or LA area you could also visit talent agencies when they have open calls (they will tell you all the info in the Ross Reports).

Good Luck!

PS: thanks model_mom for starting this topic, very informative!

Thanks, LilyBird! I live in the New York area (or close enough). You're making me anxious about my age, though, as well as my friend's!

Thanks for starting this topic model_mom. It has a lot of helpful info that will come in handy. I plan on spending a month in New York City in January to try my luck at open calls. Thanks again.

thank you for starting this topic, model_mom! this is my first post here, i've been lurking for awhile now :ninja: . i spent a week in nyc looking for an agency about a month ago (with my mother agent), and although Vision and Major were both really interested, they both said that they couldn't afford to bring models up for the summer. is this true, or is that just a nice way of saying that they don't want to sign me? i also don't feel as if my agent was as aggressive as he should have been (the entire trip he did nothing but show the agents a big book of all his models back home) so i'm wondering if i need to look for a different agent. i'm starting to doubt my potential, but i don't want to give up my dream so easily, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :flower:

There are some money jobs available during the summer months,but the best time to be in NY is for show castings in late Aug,early Sept for spring/summer show and Jan for the fall winter show castings. Shows run through Sept and Oct if you go to Paris and Milan for spring/ summer shows and Feb and March for fall/winter ones. Right after the shows castings for campaigns start so it's very important to be available. A lot of young models who are still in school go to NY for the summer months for 3 or 4 weeks but I know a lot of the agencies close down for most of the month of Aug. I hope this info helped to answer your question. :flower: ( couture shows run in Jan and July but they are very selective on who walks.)

It would be a good idea to try a secondary market like Chicago or Miami, Ali's first summer modeling we spent some time in Chicage with Ford doing catalog and editorials. She made some very good money.

Originally posted by Nathalie@May 23rd, 2004 - 6:09 pm
Vision and Major were both really interested, they both said that they couldn't afford to bring models up for the summer. is this true, or is that just a nice way of saying that they don't want to sign me?
It might be true because as modelmom said, sooo many new/younger girls come to NY for the summer. They might not have room in the apartment or the budget to support everyone.
I think you should look into going back with a parent or even by yourself since it sounds like your agent was more on a promotional tour than really focused on you. I went alone for spring break last year and just saw everyone who would see me. It went pretty well :flower:

thanks for the advice, model_mom and Terrima! :flower: I really was worrying that they were just blowing me off. I don't get job in Charlotte because I look really European, and they like the girl next door here. The next time I go up it probably will be without my agent, b/c i did feel a little taken advantage of. Assuming I can save some money, when would the best time to go back to NY and make the rounds again be?

They're always looking for new faces to show off right before show season. If you got the looks and the height(very important) your best bet is then. If the agency really likes you on open casting days, they"ll take you no matter what season it is.

I'm 5'10"/16 yrs old so I know I'm tall enough. I'll try and get a picture to show you guys sometime soon; I hope I have the look! This may seem like a completely random question, but does anyone here know what the market is like in Stockholm, Sweden? Thanks :flower:

I e-mailed LA Models with some pictures. The response I got was, "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we currently represent our maximum number of people in your category. Please feel free to resubmit in 6 months." Do agencies really have a certain number of people who are allowed be in a category? Or were they just trying to say "no" nicely? My guess was the second one, because I never knew they had a 'maximum number'.

i can understand it because one booker can only handle so many clients...if they want to do a good job...

that would be my guess.

at least you've gotten return emails...

LA Models does get overloaded sometimes as well as others ocassionally do..

it happens so they have to decline new offers for now...

if you sent a email and they reply with that most likely they are actually telling the truth...cuz well if I was a busy bookie, assistant, secretary,etc at the agency I dont think I'd wanna be spending my time emailing declines with some crackpot lies...if it was a no then I'd just leave it and go to the next email.

Also, they did tell you to try again in six months. If they really meant 'no,' they probably wouldn't have said that because it just adds to the reams of new submissions that they'll get later. :flower: Good luck!

I've been in the agency when they are opening the mail. I've seen the agents open pictures and put them right in the trash, so if you recieved any kind of response you might be in luck. :lucky:

Ooh, I see. I got one from New York Model Management a little while ago as well, but they also said that they were not looking at the moment. I just sorta figured that they might have sent e-mails to everyone. Thank you all for your responses! :flower:

Originally posted by tinker_bell1988@May 24th, 2004 - 8:32 pm
I e-mailed LA Models with some pictures. The response I got was, "Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we currently represent our maximum number of people in your category. Please feel free to resubmit in 6 months." Do agencies really have a certain number of people who are allowed be in a category? Or were they just trying to say "no" nicely? My guess was the second one, because I never knew they had a 'maximum number'.
Tinkerbell, they were probably telling the truth. There is somewhat of a quota. I was once told by a Milan agency that they "already had enough black girls" who look like me. In NY they're much more descreet but they do try to keep the numbers down of certain types of girls.

Originally posted by tinker_bell1988@May 24th, 2004 - 8:32 pm
I also am going to say the same thing as the others...if they told you to resubmit in 6 mos. - Do it!

I was sitting in the lobby of an agency waiting on my sister while she was picking up her casting sheet and there was an open call going on. Anyway, girls and guys were coming in an giving certain agents their pictures. The agents would tell them " Thanks for stopping by, but you are not what we are looking for".

What I am saying is that LA Models would have let you know that you are not what they are looking for. The agencies have no problem at all telling people that.

Definitely keep trying and resubmit your pictures!

:flower:

I thought about sending out some pics to some agencies. I think I am too tall though (6'3 and a 1/2) and my skin isn't very good.

I have been thinking about ordering this guide for awhile:

http://www.supermodelguide.com/guide.html

It's an "insider's guide" on how to become a model. I was just wondering if anyone else has ordered this or knows if it's worth the price of $34.95. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Mutterlein@May 25th, 2004 - 12:47 pm
I thought about sending out some pics to some agencies. I think I am too tall though (6'3 and a 1/2) and my skin isn't very good.
I don't think height matters, as long as your tall.
After all Hana S is like 6'3 and is one of the big models at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->