Sonia Rykiel

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by PoppyAzure, Jun 10, 2004.

1. PoppyAzure

PoppyAzure New Member

Hi everyone! I was looking for more info on Sonia Rykiel. Her stuff is amazing.

2. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

Search in Designers and Collections :flower:

3. PoppyAzure

PoppyAzure New Member

4. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

I did a tFS search and came up empty so here's this:

Also, view her collections here.

And of course her website.

5. tott

tott slightly dizzy

I have to say I respect Sonia Rykiel!

I don't necessarily love everything she's ever done, but she does seem to stay true to her vision year after year...

I think she could be ripe for a major re-launch...!

6. kit

kit New Member

Sonia's collections now have a vast input from her daughter , who is married to Simon Burstein , scion of the BURSTEINS of BROWNS , of South Molton St. London fame , and recently , head of the CHAMBRE SYNDICALE DE LA COUTURE .

The family were the great champions of Sonia , right from the late 60s and the family ties have cemented the symbiotic relationship .

Sonia Rykiel , both femme and homme are Quintessentially French chic and recently , I believe , COLETTE devoted a VAST amount of floor space , to what is obviously a REAL French institution .

Her horizontally striped sweaters for both women and men are her trademark . SOOOOOOO ' left - bank ' ( rive gauche ) .

As a man , I am ALWAYS tempted by her men's collections , although one can only buy them in London , unfortunately .

KIT B)

7. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

i saw some good rykiel homme at liberty when i was in london kit....i completely agree with your description of her work as quintessentially french chic...and i also feel a re-launch coming on... :flower:

8. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

re launch? sonia rykiel is still quite populare. especially with the luanch of the 'sonia' line.

9. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

true, no need for Ryliel re-launch, they did great with Madonna posing in the 'hot' green & white dot dress from Rykiel ss04 collection and the fw show had some real cute looks.

what i love about Rykiel is that she has a style of her own and is sticking by through all the years.

*kit, Burnstein is NOT the head of the CHAMBRE SYNDICALE DE LA COUTURE :ninja:

10. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

yes exactly, she is very independant and fun :heart:

11. kit

kit New Member

Sorry LENA :heart:

I think that is Didier Grumbach , but Simon Burstein DID have some important connection .

http://www.modeaparis.com/vf/toutsavoir/

yours

KIT

PS

Sonia Rykiel was first represented in London by Lady Clare Rendlesham ( Rattlesnake ) who ran a PR agency before she bought the London franchise for YVES SAINT LAURENT RIVE GAUCHE , and later the one for the KARL LAGERFELD incarnation of CHLOE

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,...,794861,00.html

I have been searching endlessly for a vdeo of a film based on her life .
    She really was the ' monstre sacree ' of 60s ,70s and a portion of 80s London until she dropped down dead with a heart attack in Chelsea Library !!!

You just could not MAKE it up !!!

The times I was bullied by that woman , and I STILL went back for more !!!! :blush:

12. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

:lol: :blush:

Here is a FS thread for rykiel ss04 and some recnet pics that Lena :flower: posted from her resort'05 collection

13. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

thanks for providing the links paprica :flower:

14. softgrey

lena...madonna?...what dress?... :unsure:

i agree about the fall collection and her consistent signature style...

15. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

it was this dress from the ss04 collection that Madonna sported not too long ago in some kind of 'music industry event' i think while she received a kind of award.

16. softgrey

maybe it was a european event...i don't believe it was televised here...anyway...i've never seen a picture if it...i'm gonna ask around...thx...

sonia rykiel is actually pretty hard to find in NY...outside of the boutique...not many places carry it...i think she's vastly under-rated... i know she is much more successful in other parts of the world... :flower:

17. helena

helena Swim Upstream

I really like SR's mainline - she also does a diffusion line called Sonia. Its nice too - lots of her signature stripes! Its hard to come by thought - only place I know stocking it in the uK is Urban Outfitters. i bought a really lovely grey sweater wth pink & red flowers knitted into the waist & one shoulder.

18. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

i rember that

helena* browns sells sonia and sonia rykiel I belive.

I don't know many places in the US that stock her expet for may be barney's and I know The white trash charms boutique in L.A./Los Feliz sells her

19. Fujyn

Fujyn New Member

I like her style with her dresses rétro printed by eyelets melted pastels, dresses satin bare silk back emerald, she transport us once again in the universe féminissime and villain of Sonia Rykiel :p
    The collection for winter is also in this spirit cabaret, jazz, liberation which is appropriate in France ...

20. helena

helena Swim Upstream

thanks Spacemui - I have seen it there now that you mention it! Looking forward to seeing the winter collection in the shops - I just love the extreme frenchness that SR exudes.