Sophia Kokosalaki For Givenchy

kit

Reaction score
News on FASHION WIRE DAILY is that SOPHIA KOKOSALAKI is to be the new designer of GIVENCHY FEMME as from A/W 05/06 .

An in-house design team will cover the S/S 05 collection , now that the ' Welsh Versace ' , Julien Macdonald , has gone to pastures new .

It's supposed to be a done deal .

GOOD LUCK to her :lucky:

I'll bet LENA :heart: will be pleased !!! :flower:

KIT :innocent:

wow, that's pretty cool, I'm really interested to see what she'll do at Givenchy :flower:
Although I really wanted Martin Grant to become the new designer for Givenchy :cry: because I love how well tailored and lovely his designs are :heart:

oh well, congrats to her and good luck all the same :blush:

thanks Kit for the news.

here's FWD article.

Kokosalaki Rumored on Way to Givenchy

September 07, 2004 - New York

Word it has that Givenchy is poised to hire Sophia Kokosalaki to become the next creative director of the famed Paris fashion house.

Neither the president of Givenchy nor representatives of the Greek-born Kokosalaki would confirm the reports, but well-informed sources say it’s close to a done deal.

“I don’t think it is correct to the people I have been speaking to, or to the designers that we won’t end up working with, to make any comment on this,” the president of Givenchy Marco Gobbetti, who joined Givenchy from Moschino in February, told FWD in a call from Paris.

“This is obviously a key decision. Whoever we chose will be the basis for the development of the brand in the next few years and we have very ambitious goals for Givenchy,” the Givenchy president told FWD.

The position of creative director of the womenswear in Givenchy has been open since April when the house did not renew the three-year contract of Julien Macdonald.

Givenchy has been a revolving door of British designers ever since Hubert de Givenchy retired in 1995. First John Galliano did three seasons at Givenchy before moving on to become a smash-hit at Christian Dior, then Alexander McQueen generated enormous media attention but less success at retail, before the three-year reign of the Welsh Macdonald, characterized by lukewarm reviews and far less excitement.

Gobbetti has previously made clear that Givenchy will take a one-season break between creative directors this October, and present a collection in showrooms designed by an in-house team this October in Paris.

In London, a spokeswoman of Kokosalaki at the firm Relative PR told FWD. “Givenchy? I cannot comment on what’s been going on. I will have to get back to you on that.” She did not.

The choice of Kokosalaki would mean two London-based designers helming Givenchy. This summer, the first-ever men’s artistic director at house, Ozwald Boateng, staged a well-received spring-summer 2005 collection during the Paris season.

“We have had a very, very good response from the collection Ozwald created. We will enjoy a significant increase in sales and have signed up many new specialty stores as clients,” Gobbetti said.

Kokosalaki would join Givenchy with an excellent resume, including a slew of gun-for-hire gigs over the past few years.

Kokosalaki is a guest designer for U.K. clothing retailer Topshop, and has been designer for two seasons for Ruffo Research, the top-quality Italian leatherwear manufacturer that has also employed Haider Ackermann, Véronique Branquinho and Raf Simons.

A year ago, Kokosalaki won the British Style Awards for best New Generation Designer, and in August the Swiss fashion festival Gwand named her a nominees for the coveted Swiss Textiles Award 2004, a prize worth $120,000.

But most importantly, with the decampment of major bold name designers from London such as Vivienne Westwood, McQueen and Roland Mouret, Kokosalaki’s show has become the must-see show in London of recent seasons.

Her style is a clever mélange of references to her native land blended with contemporary ideas like patchwork and macramé leather has created a signature hip Grecian style.

Kokosalaki is not the first name to pop up on the Givenchy rumor mill, which has seen Viktor & Rolf and Josephus Thimister mentioned as candidates.

This summer, trade papers claimed that the job would go to Alber Elbaz but he eventually re-signed with Lanvin. Now, the smart money is on Sophia. Gobbetti hopes to make a decision before the end of November. Stay tuned.

Has the potential to be very exciting--did anyone else like what she did with the costumes at the Athens games?

Well, as a matter of fact she did a great job at the Olympics! Everyone says so! i am not sure, wheather she has dressed tha singers in the closing ceremony!

She is very talanted!!!

i'm actually quite surprised but i think it could be great...i will definitely be interested in seeing the next installment at givenchy...

this is an excellent surprise!!! :woot:

oh i cannot wait to see this :shock: :heart:

I can't wait to see this as well. :woot: she's a brilliant designer and I think she'll be great for them! :grrr:

i was going to post about this..

VERY exiting, i hope it is true, finally some thing intresting from LVMH

i love sophia :heart: :heart: :heart:

I just hope this doesn't become a tremendous task and distract her from own collection. She's had some beautiful and successful collections thus far,just don't want that to be ruined. In any case,I am confident that she'll be breathe of fresh air.

This is certainly interesting news!
I can't wait to see what she comes up with, Givenchy has been so blah lately.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Sep 8 2004, 08:09 AM
I think Ozwald and Sophia are a good combination to revive Givenchy.
[snapback]359221[/snapback]​

i love the frisson created by a team like that -- almost as exciting as the galliano/slimane/de castellane union at dior. each expanding in different directions and intepreting the same spirit in different ways. let's just hope lvmh (if the rumor holds true) is as pleased with her vision for givenchy as they are with galliano's for dior. (and so much for choosing an unknown as one thought gucci group appointments were foreshadowing)

thats great! I'm so excited that they picked a lesser known designer as well. I can't wait to see what she'll do for the house!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->