Stefano Pilati Leaving Ermenegildo Zegna

Egoiste

Reaction score
Stefano Pilati’s is indeed headed to one of Milan’s fashion giants—just not the one that had been rumored. Ermenegildo Zegna announced this morning that the former YSL designer, who exited the house after his Fall ‘12 collections, has been appointed head of design at menswear stalwart Ermenegildo Zegna (where he’ll also work on the Ermenegildo Zegna Couture collection). He’ll also be charged with growing Zegna’s womenswear label, Agnona, where he will serve as creative director as well. The appointments are effective as of the first of the new year.
style.com

I'm so happy for Stefano and I can't wait to see how it goes.

From YSL to Ermenegildo Zegna? Well I hope he finds his niche there and that they give him the creative freedom that he deserves.

I wasn't a big fan of his work for ysl, but looking at the aesthetic zegna, I can see this working quite well. Glad he'll still be doing womanswear too.

Great. His sharp lines were one of my favorite elements from him and he'll definitely have the freedom to play with them more at Zegna. I also feel like it's good/healthy to go from the enormous pressure, amount of interests and controversies of a label like Yves Saint Laurent to a label that's established but that critics tend to leave alone.. the downside is that it's far more commercial so risks will be limited but I think Stefano can manage, his risks are usually in details.

yay Stefano was one of my favourite designers, so i am very happy he has found a replacement from his marvellous work at ysl. I am now eagerly awaiting his debut.

I guess that's a start. He'll definitely have more creative freedom there, even if with less resources. This could turn out to be great.

I havent heard of Agnona, looks like he'll have his work cut out for him.

This is exciting news, after going out on one of his best collections for YSL and straight to Zegna ? he definitely deserves it, I have always admired his work and have the highest of hopes for his debut collection and future at the label.

This is great news! I am very excited to see that Stefano will still design and what's even more exciting is that he doesn't have the dark cloud of a 'legacy' hanging over his head. He can finally be himself 100%. It seems like Zegna wants to be a "fashion" brand and not just a luxury brand any more because this will be the first time for the brand to appoint a creative director. I am very happy for Pilati and I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeves. His work at YSL was very inspiring to me and I know he wouldn't disappoint here either.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love Pilati's work, no matter where he lands
Zegna should be celebrating the collaboration with a bang

I can't wait to see what Pilati does for Ermenegildo Zegna, and now he has free reign at a womenswear label with years of experience designing beautiful tailoring.

I guess that's a start. He'll definitely have more creative freedom there, even if with less resources. This could turn out to be great.

I think that's the best thing about this; Zegna seems to be happy to let him be himself.

For Zegna,' Stefano Will Make It Happen'
By SUZY MENKES

PARIS — In Milan, Gildo Zegna, chief executive of the family brand, talks about how he hopes the appointment of Stefano Pilati will bring a designer edge to Ermenegildo Zegna and to Agnona , its women’s brand:

“Agnona was born in the ’50s. And my grandfather bought then 25 percent of the mill making cashmere, vicuña — all the long-haired wools.

“Later we owned it in full and reached €30 million,” or $38.5 million, in sales, Mr. Zegna continued, “and we had to decide what we wanted to do.”

“To create a real brand, we need a designer. Stefano seemed to be on the market. I knew him from the ‘Tom and Dom’ years,” he explained, referring to Tom Ford and his business partner Domenico De Sole at Gucci.

In 2000, he continued, “they brought Mr. Pilati into the Gucci group and Zegna was producing Gucci and Saint Laurent.”

“The Agnona brand will soon be 60 years old — she is entering her third age,” Mr. Zegna said. “We want to make sure that she looks good.

“We will launch in May with a cruise precollection. Zegna will be shown in June in the men’s wear fashion week. Then Agnona will have something interesting at the shows in September.

“We will show in Milan; we stick to our roots. Milan needs some new things, some innovation. We want to create a daytime wardrobe for the luxury women, whether she is 60 years old or 30 years old. There is a void in the market. Stefano will make it happen.

“We will also have fashion and accessories, where Stefano is very good. A woman without accessories cannot live!”
nytimes

Really excited about it. Good for Stefano, plus I never heard of Agnona before, so I'm really curious how he'll settle himself at the brand.

I literally cannot wait for Pilati's first collection with Agnona. Yves Saint Laurent was one of the highlights of fashion month with him at the helm, it will be very interesting to see what he does with a different brand.
As interesting as that little article is, the way it is finished makes it sound as if Mr Zegna is saying "We want Mr Pilati to give us a Tribute shoe equivalent!" :lol:

It's so strange there isn't any follow up on what's to come from him and Zegna when we get zillion articles from Dior Raf or Hedi SLP. As boring as menswear is, it's Stefano Pilati, one of the greatest designer nowadays. I refuse to believe there's no journalist who wants to interview him.

^ I find that extremely weird aswell. Maybe they're taking their time? I mean it's menswear but also the re-launch of Agnona, they're gonna have to do some press. I remember the CEO of Zegna saying his first collection would've been the Agnona resort 2014, to be presented in early june - i don't know if they've changed their plans about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
connor44
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->