Stella Mccartney Business To Expand

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by stylegurrl, Nov 4, 2004.

1. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

2. Theory

Theory New Member

I thought Stella was a sinking ship? :unsure:
    She is so inconsisent in her designs from season to season.....but I do think the brand has potential and I guess the increased (healthy) sales support this......I think she needs to better define her market, is she going to start brandhing off and being in retail stores like Neimans.....or stick to being a bit more exclusive....I'm guessing it will be the former.....

Why do these designers, ranging from Prada to Stella insist upon developing these shrines, or costly flagships that never breakeven? Even Prada Soho, while heralded for its archeitural *innovation* doesn't translate into increased sales...which is the bottom line...and Miuccia can clearly take more risks than Stella can.....we shall see....

3. clueless

clueless New Member

I heard her fragrance was really nice

4. AlexN

AlexN New Member

Same here. I'm confused.

5. BrothaG

BrothaG New Member

Second that. I really don't get it.

6. faust

faust New Member

Is Gucci owned by Enron? :P

7. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i think her sales are propped up by her fragrance...and i can't be certain how it works but does the stella mccartney company get money when its commissioned to make clothes for that sky captain and the world of tomorrow?

8. macchiom

macchiom New Member

It’s all about creating an image!

While the single flagship store might not necessarily generate a profit the overall hype and desirability it creates is often enough to more than offset the cost.

Pure marketing…

9. faust

faust New Member

Yep. It's even more than that - it's a drug, that feeling of power.

BTW, Theory, I read that Prada's Bway store is projected to NEVER make enough money to pay for itself :shock: .

10. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

:rofl:

I don't know my friend works at her LA store and she said hardly any one buys.

11. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Recently, I have been seeing more celebrities (mostly B-list though) in her clothes so maybe this news is entirely true. She seems to be held in higher regard in the UK than in the US. Her perfume is being advertised more now-Sephora has it in their new catalog and there have been ads in fashion mags.

12. Imnangel

Imnangel New Member

she is a dreadful designer. Do you think she would have made it without a certain famous father???? NO CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living of daddy's reputation - she is a waste of space (sorry to rant)!!

13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Source: Businessoffashion.com

14. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Wow, that's quite a bold move! In these uncertain times when everyone is selling stakes of their companies to investors, buying fifty percent of your brand back to own it entirely requires balls. I haven't necessarily been a big Stella fan over the years, but I wish her luck.

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I think she may be onto something and it says a lot about Kering that they're prepared to do this. Stella always ran her brand with (seemingly) full autonomy. I predict it will go even better for all the supplement concepts.

Now only if the Dior group would give Galliano his namesake back which they ROBBED off of him.

Unrelated, the but the comments way above crack me up! :lol:

16. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I’m a big fan of Stella’s clothes and this is perfect for her. Now she will be totally in control of her production and based on her ethic, it is much more honest to be independent.
    Tom Ford and De Sole were very clever when they created their group. From Nicolas to McQueen, including himself, they had all from 10 to 50% shares on their brands.

It’s a pity that McQueen is not their anymore as they can do whatever they wants with the brand now.

Seriously, kudos to her. I hope this will have an impact on her future RTW collections.

I think the Galliano brand has still a lot of licensing deals which makes it impossible for Dior to sell it back now. But considering that now Dior is part of LVMH I really don’t see how they could keep that brand in the group anymore. Eventually it will end-up like Lacroix and i hope that John will be able to buy his brand back or at least on a joint venture with Renzo Rosso.

And yes, the comments are the best part but TFS has never really been too kind with Stella. It’s a pity because she is a lot more talented and honest in her work than a lot of designers today.
    Despite being a product of nepotism, she has proven to be a real hard worker.

17. tjasmine

tjasmine Active Member

Good for her! :cool2: