Stella Mccartney Spring Summer 2005

Look, I like Stella but this collection just wasn't gelling with me. As others have said, it's just too sloppy. I think nonchalence and carefreeness can look fantastic when translated for fashion but this collection didn't hit the spot. In the video on style.com Stella was saying how she thinks a strap slipping down as a person walks is sexy, the clothes were practically falling off models as they walked. Stella, that aint sexy, that's just plain annoying. :(

Originally posted by keepsmiling@Oct 9 2004, 08:41 PM
Stella was saying how she thinks a strap slipping down as a person walks is sexy, the clothes were practically falling off models as they walked. Stella, that aint sexy, that's just plain annoying. :(
[snapback]392062[/snapback]​
:P :mohawk:

I like some of the dresses but I could definately find better from chloe

Originally posted by softgrey+Oct 9 2004, 08:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Oct 9 2004, 08:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
i know what you mean...she wears her own clothes...
but somehow the stuff doesn't really translate to the runway...

[snapback]392049[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hi softgrey, thanks for the welcome :smile: I agree with you there, her clothes look better on her. Maybe her next show, she can just have a gallery of pappazzi photos of her wearing her clothes from that collection :P

<!--QuoteBegin-stylegurrl
@Oct 9 2004, 08:41 PM
My comment was not only related to this current collection but to the way she is treated in general. I don't know of any other designers that have been given three stores and a perfume in little over a year. As someone else said, others have to earn that over time.
[snapback]392061[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I think the reason why she's been given the stores and the perfume is because her time at Chloe has made her very well known and they're using that as an investment? She did increase sales dramatically for Chloe. She's been working in the industry for ages, starting out doing work at Saville Row whilst she was studying. Also, her label has been around for more than a little over a year so it's not like it's all happened at once for her.

I do agree that there are more talented designers out there who should have their share of the spotlight but it's not exactly Stella's fault.

Originally posted by faust@Oct 7 2004, 09:21 AM
Yawn. Worst investment by the Gucci Group, and serves them right, too.
[snapback]388930[/snapback]​

Bahaha! :lol:

I actually love it, admittedly however it's the first Stella collection I have so much as liked, let alone loved.

It may not be entirely original, which I won't go into, but I'd wear all of those pieces.

Originally posted by o2w@Oct 7 2004, 09:57 PM
holy hell!
the worst swimwear i've ever ever seen - the models had wedgies on the catwalk!

mccartney.jpg

[snapback]389715[/snapback]​

Wedgie-chic?

Wedgies the new black?

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 9 2004, 08:26 PM

i know what you mean...she wears her own clothes...
but somehow the stuff doesn't really translate to the runway...

maybe she was making potato sacks because she's pregnant?... i don't know...
but it never seems to look as good anywhere as it does on her...
i don't think she knows who her customer is... :unsure:
[snapback]392049[/snapback]​

exactly softie...i guess that's what i was trying to say earlier when i feel a disconnect between the collections. even when she was at chloe, i felt her looks were all over the map. it's the complete opposite of what phoebe's done with chloe. she wears the clothes, they look great on her and they look great off the runway.

i feel similarly to others here about her success. narciso rodriguez has been around for a long time (on his own, with loewe, etc.), and he just recently launched a fragrance and has no stores. i think the reason chloe had the resurgence it did was not only due to her talent but also the starpower she brought to the label. i'm sure the gucci group knew she'd bring that kind of attention to her own line (which she has) but that doesn't translate into sales in stores.

I think the reason why she's been given the stores and the perfume is because her time at Chloe has made her very well known and they're using that as an investment? She did increase sales dramatically for Chloe. She's been working in the industry for ages, starting out doing work at Saville Row whilst she was studying. Also, her label has been around for more than a little over a year so it's not like it's all happened at once for her.

I do agree that there are more talented designers out there who should have their share of the spotlight but it's not exactly Stella's fault.

You are absolutely right. It isn't Stella's fault and Gucci hoped that her celebrity connections would be enough to ensure the success of her label. As Kimair pointed out , some designers such as Narciso have been around just as long (or longer) but have not been given the same trappings . Others, like Badgley Mishka have had trouble obtaining additional backing despite name and great success. Personally, I think a young designer needs more thatn a year to prove themselves worthy of such huge investments.

from Friday's FWD...interesting:

Stella McCartney: Brand Building Before Her Buddies

by Godfrey Deeny

Fashion Wire Daily October 7,2004- PARIS - Stella McCartney may not go down in history as a designer who significantly influenced fashion. But, anyone one who tells you that, ultimately, the brand Stella McCartney is not going to be a success should be sent to bed without getting anything for supper.

McCartney, whose ability to connect with the press and field journalists questions makes Bill Clinton (news - web sites) look like a media novice, staged her latest signature collection in Paris, and all her tricks and talents were on display.

For starters, the gal really knows how to put on a show. She picked all the right models, i.e. Daria, Gemma and Dewi, re-looked them like rock goddesses with shaggy, post-coital hair, and sent them out in a coherent pretty, punchy and polished clothes.

Stella can also be relied to whip up neat and novel ideas. Today her big play was a series of beaded bras in stretch cotton, some with rhinestone beading. She used them hidden under voile dresses, or in sexy, high cut swimwear. They all worked. Plus, her high wood soled espadrilles, and new faux doctors bag in light grainy leather looked like winners too.

Her other great strength is mixing male and female references in the same look. So we got guy’s miniature tails with Victorian white cotton dresses, or chopped up mannish mackintoshes in linen over shirtdresses. They were all smart plays on her signature idea that women often look best when the rifle something out their boyfriend’s wardrobe to go with their own clothes.

It never hurts that Stella’s address book is a cool blend of glitz and fame. Today her front row offered us Harvey Weinstein, Daphne Guinness, Padma Lakshmi and Gwyneth Paltrow walked by Giancarlo Giammetti. FYI – The partner of Valentino is staging a diner in Gwyneth’s honor tonight in his art-filled Quai D’Orsay apartment.

No wonder executives from luxury group PPR, which owns 50 percent of Stella’s house – looked so chipper during the show. Slowly but surely, Stella has developed her own signature look, one which will help to assure the success of her latest co-branding, the performance collection created by her for Adidas due to be launched this fall, that will revolutionize the way women dress for the gym worldwide.

No surprise then to see a gang of happy Adidas executives too at the show. Matter of fact, their creative director Michael Michalsky even had a German TV camera crew following around for a documentary on him. Smart guy that he is, he knows everything that Stella touches turns to gold.

i think phoebe and stella were praying to the same god...their collections almost look interchageable to me...

Originally posted by mikeijames@Oct 11 2004, 11:51 AM
i think phoebe and stella were praying to the same god...their collections almost look interchageable to me...
[snapback]393702[/snapback]​

:lol:

I think Stella has seen how successful Phoebe has been and decided to "borrow" a bit from her. Phoebe has has used similar silhouettes almost from the beginning.

Kimair,

That article was "interesting" :lol:
Stella does not use leather so the doctor's bag they mentioned is probably vinyl or plastic, there is nothing polished about clothes that literally fall off of the models, and there were no new ideas presented. This guy comes off as being starstruck.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Oct 11 2004, 04:51 PM
Kimair,

That article was "interesting" :lol:
Stella does not use leather so the doctor's bag they mentioned is probably vinyl or plastic, there is nothing polished about clothes that literally fall off of the models, and there were no new ideas presented. This guy comes off as being starstruck.
[snapback]394044[/snapback]​

i agree.

and to not know that stella doesn't use animan skins/fur in her collections, well that just shows that someone's writing about something/someone they don't know enough about. :innocent:

i still take issue with this statement:

Slowly but surely, Stella has developed her own signature look...

i don't think so...

Originally posted by kimair@Oct 11 2004, 06:28 PM
i agree.

and to not know that stella doesn't use animan skins/fur in her collections, well that just shows that someone's writing about something/someone they don't know enough about. :innocent:
[snapback]394132[/snapback]​

That is very true. Anyone who really follows fashion should know that fact, particularly a fashion journalist.
One of the PPR bosses was asked if her no leather stance would hurt the growth possibilities for the brand. He said no because that stance is part of her consumer appeal. :huh:

i don't think so...

Me either...

Originally posted by saturnine@Oct 10 2004, 12:29 PM
Wedgie-chic?

Wedgies the new black?
[snapback]392680[/snapback]​
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member