Style vs. Stylist : Who Is Actually Fashionable?

Great thread!!!:woot:

I so agree with Blondes "we can just separate "looking stylish" and having a good sense of style"

i do think if u have a good sense of style, if u follow fashion shows and have the oportunity to get access to good professionals to improve yourself like, a good haidresser, makeup, then u just nead a stylist when u have doubts and to give u some new tips...
off course if u have money for pay to this good professionals it'll helps too!!!:innocent:

I find this whole having a stylist thing so fake. I mean, style is something that should reflect who you are/ how you feel something that comes along after where you been/what you seen, it's personal.

The thought of some stars having someone dictating what they wear or how they look seems very unatural to me..

with that said if a stylist can find the best pieces, already knowing your style lay them out for you and then you could choose then that would be great! :D

I think the only defense for it is that some people do not really represent themselves through their clothing choices, so if a stylist can actually bring out that person's identity with clothes its good. Not everyone is that concerned with clothes, so its not so much that they couldn't pick the things that a stylist has picked for them, they just have not had the exposure or interest.

At what point if you're in the entertainment industry do you hire a stylist? I would assume that C & D list actresses can't afford them and probably buy their own dresses.

pucci_mama said:
with that said if a stylist can find the best pieces, already knowing your style lay them out for you and then you could choose then that would be great

i think that's the idea for a lot of them..
i'd think the more a celeb works with a stylist the more it becomes like this...

the stylist gets an idea for who the celeb is and what their style is..
they have access to the clothes and time to collect them..
and then the celeb can pick and choose from a collection of things that the stylist thinks best represent their style..

^ Exactly. I think ideally a stylist should work with a celebrity to help bring out the true style within a person or enhance their style. Sometimes people are not 100% aware of what suits them best either so I think a stylist can really help in that area.

The problem arises when a stylist crafts a stars entire fashion identity. Katie Holmes is a good example of this - her style has changed so drastically that everyone has taken note and while she has a lot of what I would say are great pieces I am never quite certain whether this is her style or a calculated manipulation whereas before when she was with another stylist (I'm fairly certain she must have used one stylist before Tom and then switched once with him) I felt like I got more of a window into her own tastes. That said - I like her clothes a whole lot more nowadays.

In this respect I have to say that Rachel Zoe does a great job with some of the women she's working with - Joy Bryant, Cameron Diaz, Keira Knightley and Drew Barrymore all look like they've got their own distinct look going on. There isn't a clone element the way she used to be accused of with the Lindsay/Nicole/Mischa look that was hot for awhile.

It would be interesting to know just which actresses are with which stylists just for reference.

I always wondered the same thing about celebrities and their stylist:
  • Does the stylist help him/her on they everyday "style"?
  • Does the stylist help him/her just for event/public appearances?
I always thought about this too.

good point regarding rachel zoe luxx...
she definitely receives a lot of flack about her former young hollywood clients, and i think she genuinely does a great job styling some of her older clients (i would include jennifer garner on your list, i thought she looked great at the oscars :heart:)

the clothes should never look like a fashion-forward costume..
you can always tell when something doesn't suit the celeb's personal style from the way they carry themselves..

the clothes should never look like a fashion-forward costume..
you can always tell when something doesn't suit the celeb's personal style from the way they carry themselves..

Oh yes I couldn't agree more. There is something about the ease in which someone wears an outfit that lets you know whether or not its truly their own taste.

I think we should look at who is styling which stars. That could be interesting to see. I'll post the stylists I know and who they're working with - please chime in with people I have forgotten.

STYLISTS & THEIR CLIENTS:

RACHEL ZOE
: Current Clients
Joy Bryant, Lindsay Lohan, Jennifer Garner, Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Keira Knightley, Kate Beckinsale

Previous Clients
Nicole Richie

JEANNE YANG
: Katie Holmes

L'WREN SCOTT
: Nicole Kidman, Ellen Barkin,

NICOLE CHAVEZ
: Rachel Bilson, Kirsten Bell, Amy Smart, Brittany Snow, Ashlee Simpson and Katherine Heigl

BRITT BARDO
: Kate Hudson, Eva Mendes, Jennifer Lopez,

ROBERT VERDI
: Eva Longoria

PHILLIP BLOCH
: Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock

ANABELL TOLLMAN
: Scarlett Johansson

LISA MICHELLE BOYD: Charlize Theron, Jacinda Barrett, Brittany Murphy, Carolyn Murphy, Connie Nielsen

ANNA BINGEMANN
: Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman, Naomi Watts, Claire Danes

Previous Clients:
Rachel Weisz

KATE YOUNG: Michelle Williams, Jennifer Connelly, Natalie Portman, Hilary Swank, Rachel Weisz

ESTEE STANDLEY & CHRISTINA EHRLICH: Jessica Biel, Penelope Cruz, Elisha Cuthbert, Salma Hayek, Demi Moore, Mandy Moore, Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen

JESSICA PASTER: Maria Bello, Thandie Newton

Previous Clients:
Kate Bosworth

CHER COULTER: Kate Bosworth

Even just looking at the names grouped together you can see that some stylist have a bit of a set "look" while others seem to really cater things around the client.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it so interesting that Kate Young styles three of the most "intellectual" actresses. I'm really surprised that Gwyneth Paltrow has a stylist.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a stylist for red carpet events if you don't care that much about fashion, but want to look good. Natalie Portman is a good example of this; I've always gotten the sense that she can't be bothered with the fashion aspect of being a celebrity, so she hired someone to help dress her.

I don't like it when celebrities who supposedly adore fashion and/or are considered style icons use a stylist. Then it's really fake. Hair and especially makeup that are going to be photographed are difficult to master, but c'mon, surely they can at least dress themselves? As for using stylists to help them dress when they're off-duty, I just find that so ridiculous. I mean, to each their own, but it's still ridiculous.

i think rachel zoe also styles ann hathaway and jessica alba.. at least for red carpet stuff..

fun thread! post more b4 and afters is poss please. Its fun to see how dramatically the stars change-----not just clothing but makeup (and often body shape).

Completely agree....the term "Fashion icon"is just thown about to fit any celebrity...unfourtunately behind every celeb there is always a stylist...
who can we call a fashion icon now?......

^i dunno. i still don't think that it's necessarily bad to call someone who doesn't dress themselves a "fashion icon." although i do still think stylists should get credit for their work.

^^i can see your point as well..

someone can be a fashion icon and still employ a stylist...
but as you say the stylist should get credit

however, i do think that the term "fashion icon" gets thrown around really easily these days..
i've seen it in so many threads here.

you can call kate moss a fashion icon because she has consistently been fashion forward and in the public eye for years..
but i've seen the term used in celeb threads like lindsay lohan, nicole richie, mk and ashley, even katie holmes recently...

a few good outfits does not make one an icon -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->