Submitting a personal photo with my job application

miikahuynh

Reaction score
I am applying for a job at a newly opening AA store where I live and wanted to ask if I should submit a personal photo? I probably should since it should increase my chances but is also ok to submit my details and C.V. without one? Anyone who works at AA can give me some help?

but why don't you call them and ask if you need to send a photo... ?

Well it hasn't opened yet so there is no contact info yet. It's American Apparel by the way since my thread had to be changed.

I've read that it can be good because the recruiter will remember you face, and it personalizes the application. On the other hand I know that for more serious jobs it can be considered somewhat tacky.

In a service profession however, I don't see why not - since you will be the company's face towards the public, maybe a decent looking photo can score you some extra points. :wink:

Good luck :flower:

Hej,

Much thanks for your reply. I'm going to submit one yeah because they have said it would be good as they receive a lot of resumes and its to put face to application. Anyway, I would think it would be incorrect to pick people based just on what your wearing right?

M.

Some job aplications speifically ask for a photo but tbh i think this is purely only for shallow reasons ..only want the pretty girls etc.

We sometimes get cvs handed in, in my shop with photos and i notice its mostly forgien people from europe..dunno must be the done thing there but i know here in england its not done at all ..dunno about anywere else.

Thank you for your insight. Yeah no I have always known submitting a photo with your C.V. is not a good idea with all the career job help sites. I'm still not quite sure whether to do so or not as photos need only be 100kb and that's pretty small.

I'm not sure if they've changed it, but in the past if you were applying to AA online there was a specific field for you to send your picture along with your CV. AA is known to be "looks" driven so that could be the reason why the company wants your picture along with your other credentials. I would advise you to send it.

^
well it asked on the AA application. It doesn't demand it (I think you can hit 'submit' without attaching any) but it says please attach photos so we can get an idea of your personal style (ie we only want attractive people). That said, I don't think the people at my AA are that attractive or well dressed to be honest. It was -30 out and one of them was dressed like it was a hot night in LA and they were at a cobrasnake party.

hahah that's one thing, meg they are definitely never dressed weather appropriate, or life appropriate for that matter.:lol: It may be a london thing though because the vast majority of the AA employees here are tall, thin, attractive and hipster.

I have also heard of a lot of restaurants here that asks for pictures along with a resume if you wish to apply for a waitressing position (not sure if it's the same for waiters).

My rule of thumb is not to apply to said jobs because they judge you before they even meet you which usually suggests that the company is more interested in what you look like than what you are capable of. Since the OP is applying to AA though-and they do encourage picture attachments-I would just go ahead and include it.

In this case I would include it, but in general you shouldn't. My friend worked in HR for a hotel and any resume with a picture attached was immediately thrown away.

My rule of thumb is not to apply to said jobs because they judge you before they even meet you which usually suggests that the company is more interested in what you look like than what you are capable of. Since the OP is applying to AA though-and they do encourage picture attachments-I would just go ahead and include it.

That's my rule of thumb too.

any application i receive with a photo attached is automatically thrown out...
:ninja:

i had somebody once send me a cv with a picture on the cover page, it was quiet amusing.

i received resume or two with a picture
i must say the person was very attractive ...
but i snapped out of it ...
personally i dont care if you do or dont send.
however, it doesn't mean you'll get hired either...
regardless how good looking or stylish you are.

i'm surprised American Apparel asked for photo included ...
i've seen their sales people and their nothing to gawk at ...

heres the thing:

Companies should want to hire you for your skills and not for what you look like. If they like your cv then they should invite you. Plus then they can see you in person wich is a thousand times better than a picture. Espeically as a woman i wouldnt send a pic..isnt there a law for this already?

yes the AA I was talking about was in Ontario, not London, UK. I do think in general it's a more 'European' thing to attach a picture with CV's but even then, I would said older generations. All the CV's we had on hand at my previous job from our associates had a picture on their CV. But they were all from the continent as well (mostly Spain) so I don't know if that makes a difference

there was a bit of a movement for a moment there where some company was trying to get people to pay them to make a video for them to submit with their application...
they claimed it would set you apart from all the other candidates...

i think they went out of business....:ninja:...:lol:...

it's the norm at aa for them to ask for a photo....i would say because they're trying to promote a ''hipster'' image or sense of ''cool'' in the shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybabycrzy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->