Such A Good Move For Givenchy

mikeijames

no tom ford, no thanks.
Reaction score
THE GIVENCHY MAN

OZWALD BOATENG was named creative director of Givenchy menswear yesterday, making him LVMH's second star menswear designer after the appointment of Hedi Slimane to Dior Homme three-and-a-half years ago. Boateng, whose classic-with-a-twist style has gained him an impressive celebrity fanbase - he dressed the entire male cast of The Matrix Reloaded for the film's premiere in Cannes last May - has threatened to "make an enormous noise" at Givenchy. The 36-year-old Anglo-Ghanaian designer will hope to increase the demand for Givenchy-labelled menswear, which currently accounts for 35 per cent of the annual turnover at the house, amounting to £21 million. Givenchy's new emphasis on targeting male shoppers comes from a conclusion that men have strong brand loyalty and that, although they shop less frequently than women, they tend to spend more each time. (December 9 2003, AM) 
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?SSID=2

I am very happy for Ozwald...his fashions are so groundbreaking, they're unreal.

i confess not knowing too much about his work, apart the fact he's been very respected by the fashion establishment, i'm glad to see Givenchy moving on :P

thanks for bringing this in :flower:

Some of his designs for the Matrix were horrible and I don't think his dresses are up to much....

But it's nice to see Givenchy move on from it's kind of vague-decadence-without-any-direction look....

i dount knwo his work, but im happy that that givenchy is doing soem thing difrent, who knwos may be tehy willc an julien and put Givenchy back where it should be.

Sometimes Ozwald can be it mediocre and lacking. However it isn't horrid just not on par. Personally,I would have loved seeing someone like Stephan Schneider or Dirk Schonberger at the house. But good for them for moving on. Now if they could just get someone 'on par' in at the women's side...hmf :innocent:

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 9th, 2003 - 3:07 pm
Some of his designs for the Matrix were horrible and I don't think his dresses are up to much....

But it's nice to see Givenchy move on from it's kind of vague-decadence-without-any-direction look....
i don't think he designed for the matrix films...i think he outfitted the gentlemen for the premiere....

i also don't think he designs womenswear...they just hired him for the mens job.

his suits are so phenom. even women wear them

I'm sure I've heard him commenting on those trenchcoats, no?

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 9th, 2003 - 11:55 pm
. Now if they could just get someone 'on par' in at the women's side...hmf :innocent:
thats the idea, if driesS. git the post for mendwear, Juliens work could be in real danger and of course nobody at Givenchy would like that right ? :ninja:

Lena,you're such the Sherlock Holmes for pointing that out! :lol: Very true,indeed. However, with the latest and most recent collections from Julien,I'm not so certain he'll be able to convince anyone. I have my weary feelings he'll be gone faster than one of the 6ft amazons on his catwalk :lol:

I'm not really familair with this designer's work but it seems such a good move for Givenchy.

First because Givenchy needs something new, exciting and to move on. Another because classic-with-a-twist is perfect for classic Givenchy. It really needs a twist to move on. :wink: :lol:

Originally posted by Scott@Dec 10th, 2003 - 12:06 am
Lena,you're such the Sherlock Holmes for pointing that out! :lol: Very true,indeed. However, with the latest and most recent collections from Julien,I'm not so certain he'll be able to convince anyone. I have my weary feelings he'll be gone faster than one of the 6ft amazons on his catwalk :lol:
as much as i dislike galliano, but love slimane and castellane (sp?) i really think that mix works well at dior...bc no matter who you are, you can find something between dior, dior homme, or dior joiallarie (sp?) that suits your fancy.

i think they are trying to do that at givenchy, bring on huge talent all around so that no matter what you have a reason to shop givenchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->