Summer Courses and Home/Online Study

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
:woot: finally :clap: a great , global education opportunity from London College of Fashion, "a two year online degree is aimed at students who wish to pursue a career in the marketing and promotion industries"

lfw_online.gif

LCF's virtual students
It had to happen and at last it has. Not so long ago, fashion PRs were baffled by the Internet, but now more and more of them have cottoned on to using it as a promotional tool. Now, the London College of Fashion is the first UK fashion college to offer a 100% online fashion promotion course. Last year, four students enrolled in the Foundation Degree Fashion Marketing and Promotion Online course, and their success has led the LCF to formally launch the online course for October 2004. Currently, you have to live in the UK to be eligible, but from next year applications are welcome from anywhere in the world. It's a two year full-time course which uses the LCF's Blackboard, an online learning environment which has been developed over the last two years. Applicants need to have access to the Net and be available for live tutorial sessions with tutors at 12midday. Other than this, there is great flexibility as to when you work - single parents and people who already work in the industry, but want to acquire more skills are particularly encouraged to apply. All applications must be made via UCAS, but if you call the college on 020 7514 7344, they will advise you on how to proceed. Visit the website for more details

from fuk.co.uk

AHHH!! How excellent! And it's great for a program like this to be through a well respected accredited university, not some as-seen-on-tv promotion I might have to check this out :clap: :buzz:

I just graduated with a Marketing degree... I wonder how far in the fashion industry that could get me without have the "fashion" in front of it...

Hmm interesting question Elle. What are the parameters of marketing and how does it alter given the specific focus. Spent a bit of time thinking on this and perhaps CelineChic ..... :innocent: could answer.

I think the interesting thing here is that
1. it's online - and so is utelising current changes in technology
2. It's fashion - so it aims to be cutting edge.

If it was Sports Marketing (thinking the movie Jerry McGuire) how would that change the angle?

Whether the fashion lead-up is necessary ... I can't find an answer.

sounds like a great concept!

LCF has gone downhill a lot recently from what i've been hearing :unsure:

Does anyone know how well placed in the work market the graduates from this programme are? I find it a bit weird that this course offers knowledge from very different parts of the fashion business industry, such as marketing and brand management, public relations, advertising, retail and merchandising. It just doesn't seem too specific ... Would it be a waste of time and money to sign up for this?

I'm very curious after reading about this for the second time.

Anybody have any updates on it? I'm curious on the job placement, as well.

i think you should visit their website and try to get some info straight from LCF

Summer and online school programs?

mods please merge if you think it should be with the other school thread. I posted a separate thread because I think that thread deals with diploma and degree programs. I would like to hear and share information about long distance / online courses and also summer courses.

I tried going through that thread to figure this out but all I really came up with after reading several pages is that FIT offers a summer program. There must be others...? I am hoping to find a really good short program, very intense, because due to my job I do not think I can get away for longer than a few months at most but I don't want to take a simple introductory program (I'm already past that level and have taught myself to make patterns and drape but I would like some formal instruction to help work out my kinks and push me to a more advanced state). I'm open to online programs but I have not found any that seem very good because design and patternmaking seems to be something best taught verbally and not through a computer screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
i go to the academy of art univ. in san francisco and they offer online and summmer classes. i havent taken any of the online or summer ones yet but was actually thinking of taking some over the summer. the schools website is www.academyart.edu hope it helps :smile:

thank you both for these links. That Instituto Marangoni looks really fab, if I can manage to take that much time off I would love to take the intesive italian program and then take the fashion program in Italian. Wow, that would be amazing!! As for the Academy of Art, I can't believe they offer online Fashion program with design courses. That is the first accredited program I've seen online that isn't Fashion Mgt or another less design oriented option. Wow, maybe I will do both! I am still trying to decide what to do as I would like a Bachelor degree because it is a requirement for work visas in many countries. I have half of one already done (well I can transfer a bunch of courses from engineering to have half of an arts now that I have quit engineering) but maybe it would be better to do a fashion one instead.

Anyway thank you for your help and anyone else that can recommend any please do!

sad to have to say that, but marangoni is not such a great school rockitgirl..
then i guess it could be fine if it's just for a summer course..

Lena, they aren't? That is too bad, I looked at the gallery from the students fashion show and I was quite impressed with their clothes compared to other schools. I was looking through their site and their masters program interested me a great deal. I will have to reconsider now.

Do you have suggestions of schools that you know offer summer programs? Most of the summer "fashion design" courses I have found just focus on drawing.

rockit, acid did a term or two with them and he didnt sound very pleased,
but as i said already, its just a summer program so why not? much more if one uses this as a foundation course :wink:

yah and I guess if I am interested in the masters program I would know after the summer program if I liked it or not. I will have to find acid and ask him what he didn't like about the school to get his feedback. I know there is a London and a Milan campus so maybe it was school/instructor specific and not the actual program...either way I'm still on the hunt for other options but they are hard to find because I want something that is intensive since I already know how to do everything in a way and would just like some formal instruction to work out the bad habits I've taught myself and find shortcuts I didn't know about.

even if you attend Marangoni, try to avoid Milan, if you can.. it's a terribly depressing town, much more during summer
London is much better since you will be able to hit the libraries, retail boutiques, flea markets and the art galleries..
i believe CSM have a summer course, this could be much more interesting.

why dont you contact acid by PM? i'm sure he will help you out :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"