Swiss Textiles Award 2009

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Scott, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

*vogue.co.uk

2. tricotineacetat

tricotineacetat Well-Known Member

YAY!

Ohne Titel are naturally my favourites, followed closely by Peter Pilotto :heart:

So happy for two of my favourite newcomers to have received major recognition :woot:

3. Scott

i think ohne and peter are the only really interesting nods this year. otherwise a bit name-y,if you ask me.

4. tricotineacetat

Yeah. I'm a bit disturbed how they would nominate someone like Alexander Wang, who is known to have already made 'it' and turn his design into a business (obviously coming from a wealthy, textile-manufacturing family-background doesn't hurt)... he's proved his raison d'être well enough, as he definitely has found an audience of girls who are buying into his fashions... 100.000€ mean nothing in the development of his line, unlike for people like Ohne Titel or Peter Pilotto... think of how they could further develop their lines with such a cash injection!

5. wheneveriwakeup

wheneveriwakeup a hymn to darkness

Won't be surprised if alex wang or thakoon take the prize, sadly...I would love to see peter win!
    I
    I would

I

6. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

Ohne Titel, Erdem & Peter Pilotto :woot::woot::woot:

7. Scott

ick...so wang took home the prize.

am i the only one bewildered,aghast and even slightly bemused? i mean their reputation in award recipients has always been rather of an innovative and visionary principle. i hardly think alexander wang's virtual line of basics is either of those qualities.

8. tricotineacetat

I wrote a comment on Diane Pernet's blog about my strong disagreement with choosing Alexander Wang as the winner for 2009's edition - not only since this year's edition had stong competition to choose from, but also when I consider Alexander Wang's statement that he thinks the money will enable him to considerably take his label to the next step, when Diane Pernet mentioned the following:

'His business is valued at 20,000,000 $+'

9. Scott

^egads....that's ralph lauren territory.

last year i think was one thing when rodarte won and even though that was surprising itself,at least it was feesable. they seem to be going in direction i'm very disappointed with. this has been one of the very few awards for young and indie labels,other than andam,that actually has a soul and it feels like it's quickly losing that spirit.

10. ponytrot

ponytrot New Member

how sad, I think just in terms of the Award's philosophy - Wang's win makes zero sense whatsoever.

He doesn't need further promotion (his team of it-girls are doing it already), he doesn't need development of his image (he's ALL hype and image)...what he needs is some damn interesting designing ideas!

this is quite disappointing.

11. Meg

Meg inspired contemplation

yeah, what a surprising choice. I mean most of all, he doesn't need the cash. I don't understand how he's even up for these sort of 'newcomer' awards. Obviously this isn't an award predicated on being new to the business, but he doesn't need a cash injection. He's got a well established, well known, and well stocked label.

12. zamb

zamb New Member

well, this begs this question of how are people nominated for this/(these types of) award(s) ?
    because based opon the size of his business, the types of products he makes etc, he should have been inelidgible for nomination................

13. Scott

this is the list of nominators which are basically journos and shop-owners from across the globe-

and the of course the judges-
    *swisstextiles.ch

14. Scott

and just to make comparisons in just the general standards swiss textiles have been known for....the previous winners-

15. Scott

and indeed i think the point here is that none of these previous winners garnered that level of commodity as alexander wang does.

and many may think raf before he won was doing well but in reality he wasn't wealthy. he ran a very small business and did not have the level distribution that wang does.

16. ponytrot

ponytrot New Member

wow, so many of the previous winners are my absolute favourites, especially Haider Ackermann, Marios Schwab. So sad to see that a struggling, talented designer would miss out :(

17. Scott

the process of having experts make suggestions and then pick nominees seems different to me. i dunno if that was the way they did it before but i do know that the standards and the principles were always about awarding creative and craft-oriented designers who have small,independent businesses with relative attention. i just do not see those qualities with this guy.

and if you go onto the web site you can also see the past nominees which included sandra backlund and jean-pierre braganza in 08,bless,ann-sofie back,cosmic wonder,lutz,toga,undercover,charles anastase,ann-valerie hash,jonathan saunders....that to me exemplifies the substance behind this competition.

#17 Scott, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by moderator cin: Nov 19, 2009