"Synthetic" Diamond Breakthrough

Discussion in 'More Accessories' started by mrrene, Oct 6, 2003.

1. mrrene

mrrene New Member

Actually, it is a "naturally grown" diamond, but maybe that still counts as synthetic. The emphasis by red color is mine.

What do you all think? Do you feel the same way about synthetic diamonds as Ceril Campbell says girls do?

In any event, breaking the cartel may be a good thing.

2. trean

trean New Member

I saw something about this on television too,and you really can't tell the difference :blink:

3. tott

tott slightly dizzy

I think it's sad that diamonds won't really be diamonds, sort of.

Otoh, the diamond industry is an extremely dirty business. I think human lives and ethics comes first so I'm all for synthetic ones! I don't like real ones anyway, because of all the exploitation and shadiness.

4. banana

banana New Member

When I think of diamond smuggling, I think of poor countries like Sierra Leone that are dominated by diamond smuggling rebels. I wonder if we could make diamonds that were just as good if it would improve the situation or make it worse :(

5. Acid

Acid yes

oh wow :eek:
    but wont this lead to fake diamond crime?

6. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Tests will no doubt become developed to test for these grown diamonds (it has always been possible to make diamonds though: stick a lump of carbon in a very hot pressure chamber). No-one has ever been able to copy a Stradivarius, not even with a scientific dissection of a real one - it's the natural flaws that make it perfect.

7. Honey

Honey New Member

I personally think that there is something timeless and romantic about a true diamond.

And in the case of, a larger fake one, or a smaller real one....

Real one. :heart:

8. BabyJ

BabyJ New Member

I'm with Honey on this one.

I perfer a real diamond to one that was grown in a factory.

Especially when it comes to engagement rings, I don't care about the size of the diamond I want something simple and elegant that my boyfriend spent a lot of time picking out.

If they start selling these synthetic diamonds then the value of our real diamonds will go down and there is no longer a status associated with diamonds.

Russia (je pense) has the largest supply of diamonds. If they decide to become "ungreedy" and dump massive amounts of diamonds into jewerly stores around the world, they become a dime a dozen, lose their value, and no one will care for diamonds.

I believe that part of the charm of a diamond is its "rareity".