Talent Watch: Marjolijn Van Den Heuvel

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Scott, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Also,because with--as Faust says--Belgians have a very discreet sense of design. Its not always blatant. More so an intimate style. That's most of their aesthetic foundation... doing things from within. Plus,they ARE artisans or craftsmen in the first right anyway...so they will always focus more on the stuff beneath the surface.

2. Scott

I think with Belgians one would have to look at their work up-close and personal to really make a formative opinion. There are always....ALWAYS hidden surprises that you rarely get to see in a mere photo. The silhouettes though,I will agree,are a bit repetitive but generally Belgians have a real appreciation traditional structures. It gives them the chance to experiment more with the subtle innovations like a certain shape of a shoulder or a cut of a trouser etc.

3. Scott

Btw,Prince,re-interpretation isn't such a bad thing. Belgians do it,for sure. Their approach however is more like giving those things a second life. But its almost always twisted in a way one almost cannot recognize. But they will never ever do anything that was ever trendy or retro. Classics,traditions and historical influences will always be here in any way. They just keep those things fresh and alive.

And before I get it with the avantgarde agruement...none of them have ever called themselves avant garde. They make clothes;clothes for which the wearer decides to interpret them.

4. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

ethinc pride is very dangerous much more when it comes to artistic expression.

what annoys me is that some take it as if all belgian designers are genius which of course isnt the case.
    there are brilliant and not so brilliant designers everywhere,
    its not a matter of geographic position, its a matter of talent

5. runner

runner .

all right

all from A/W 04

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. runner

runner .

7. runner

runner .

8. runner

runner .

9. runner

runner .

10. runner

runner .

11. runner

runner .

12. runner

runner .

13. runner

runner .

14. runner

runner .

15. runner

runner .

16. runner

runner .

17. faust

faust New Member

True, only it just happens that the last fashion revolution came from Belgium and we can not deny the brilliance and freshness of it. And judging by the aesthetical value,craftmanship, originality and strength of personality (not leaning where the whimsical trend winds blow and disregarding the philistine pop-culture of today's society) - I don't see the likes of Ann Demeulemeester, Raf Simons, and Dries van Noten (and Jurgi Persoons and Olivier Theyskens when they had their own lines) coming out of neither Italy nor France (and I'm not even talking about the stagnant US). They pushed the boundaries of fashion which have last been pushed by Rei and Yohji 10-15 years before that, and I bow to them for it.

While I don't know anyone here who's lumping designers together based on their nationality, you can't deny the cultural influence of a certain country - every artist is a product of his zeitgeist. :flower:

Runner, thanks for the beautiful images. Just like I suspected, once these pieces that look quiet on the hanger take shape on the body they become beautiful, easy and natural. Love the footwear too.

18. Scott

Lena,I know there are less brilliant designers out there and I wouldn't necessarily say all Belgians were absolutely brilliant. But I don't think there's anybody that's bad. That's the key there. Almost all of those designers have something really special and unique going for them which is so unlike anywhere else in the world. That ambience of talent...it's uncomparable.

Runner,thank you for these photos. I really like what I see from this vantage point. There is so much more to these clothes on a closer look,isn't it?

19. paprika_hiccup

paprika_hiccup Reanimated

The knits are gorg :flower: I would love to see a close-up of this pullover:

[​IMG]

:heart: VVVVV these, too:

[​IMG]
    [snapback]403396[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

20. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

exept dirk birkenberg

I lvoe every thing you posted runner :heart: