Tatler July 2019 : Julianne Moore by Jack Waterlot

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, May 17, 2019.

1. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

2. jeffandtheworld

jeffandtheworld Well-Known Member

3. dfl-001

dfl-001 Well-Known Member

That's stupid.

4. caioherrero

caioherrero Active Member

This is so good. Love image, and layout!

5. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

A genetically modified peacock lol. Love the color though.

Benn98 likes this.
  6. Srdjan

Srdjan Well-Known Member

Not what I was expecting while opening the thread. I imagined a classic Julianne, something similar to her UK Vogue cover from 2010. I can't say I dislike it, but those black texts ruin the sensibility of the image.

7. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I'll give the cover credit for showing something other than Julianne Moore wearing green.

TaylorBinque and Benn98 like this.
  8. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Tatler are really going for the A-listers.

Benn98 likes this.
  9. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

Definitely not expecting this. But kudos to them for doing something very different. But it's not as successful.

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Dennen strikes again. His Tatler is really one high profile celeb after the other. Now only if the fashion content would be as prestigious as the cover subject.

I want to like this more, but I may be the only person in the world who's not raving over these Pat McGrath feathered eyes. Ethical reasons aside, it's just in downright ugly. And in this case, Hung Vanngo really went overboard. They're too long for her face. And 'dramatic Prada dress'? :rofl: All I see is some black fabric around her arms. Just as well Julianne's name is splashed across the cover because without that she'd be unrecognisable.

Magazines should stop with this 'as you've never seen her before' trite. I reckon Julianne's VP cover is do date her most daring one yet. Doubt whether Tatler could top that, but props for trying.

#10 Benn98, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  11. lelaid

lelaid Well-Known Member

It could have worked had the feather eyelashes been a different color, it's all kind of washed out (especially with the white background).

12. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Indeed! This has the makings of a brilliant cover, I am impressed with Tatler and Dennen once again.

A simple and straight-forward portrait shot of Julianne Moore but the feathered eyelashes adding something extra, making a statement, and when teamed with the angle of the shot and the minimal art direction... I'm struggling to complain about a single element.

Might just be third consecutive issue of Tatler that I've bought!

13. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

A white bag with what I presume is my Tatler subscription has arrived... it'll hardly be UK Vogue or Vanity Fair, because I don't tend to see them until ten days after they've been sitting out on the newsstand getting stale. It feels like there's a supplement... will it be plastic surgery or posh schools? No, a wedding guide, which is designed inside to look like the main magazine, so it feels like you've got two issues for the price of one this month.

But back to the magazine itself... some of the cover lettering is a brighter orange than the scan suggests, so there's a little bit more vibrancy to it. The image itself... fair play to her for posing like that, as wearing false eyelashes can be enough of an ordeal, never mind sitting there with a bird's wing glued to each and every eyelid and probably not being able to blink much until it's done.

134 pgs. While there's a 4 pg Chanel fashion ad following the cover, most of the advertising in this issue is for jewellery.

A recurrent theme is Paris Hilton, she's the subject of TWO separate 1 pg features in this issue. Julianne's editorial inside is nothing like the cover, it's much more glamorous, much more 'her', and a lot of the shots were posted on the Daily Mail around the time the issue was released on Instagram.

There's also a fashion editorial that riffs on Jackie O and her sister on holiday in Capri, then turn the page and it's a bleak Scottish island, and then a feature where someone hires the lifestyle of a heiress. The content is lively and actually feels different every few pages. Plus a few pages of politics and posh holidays.

If you like arty or indie fashion, there's no point in looking at UK Tatler. But if you're missing the sort of grown-up sophistication and glamour that Vogue used to be about, as well as some of the wit of Vanity Fair, then the only place you'll find it these days is in this magazine. Given that it's always a thin magazine, it's not worth paying full price, but a cheap subscription or newsstand deal is worth looking into.

mikel and Benn98 like this.