Tatler November 2018 : Dakota Johnson by Jack Waterlot

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by amby, Sep 26, 2018.

1. amby

amby Active Member

2. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Christ, it took me 5 solid minutes to fully grasp that coverline! Way too complicated this time in the morning, but of course unnecessarily complex, like Dakota, lol.

The cover is gorgeous. So is Dakota and the dress she's wearing. The style ofreminds the dress reminds me very much of the Charlie's Angels (2000) ruffle trend. New Tatler is on a roll! Yes, it's another Gucci bought effort, but at least it looks stunning.

3. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

US Vogue from some years ago wants their layout/excesive text back!

4. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

Her posture makes me feel she is squeezed into the cover to fit the length of the page. Her make up is too bland. The only thing I like is the green color, just like the red in her Vogue Australia cover. :D

Benn98 likes this.
  5. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

She is starting to look like Tatum O'Neal in some pictures, including on this cover.

6. mepps

mepps Active Member

Nothing works here, starting with her pose.

7. SLFC

SLFC Active Member

This would have been good if it wasnt for the awkward posing and strange posture.

8. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

Got my subscription copy this morning... 174 pgs, and no supplement this month. There'll be a watches & jewellery one with the December issue, out 1 Nov.

Back page ad is Anna Ewers for Dior jewellery, while the inside ads include fold-out Vuitton with Alicia Vikander, Dior with Jennifer Lawrence, Tiffany with Elle Fanning - these ads are chronically dull - then a couple of pages of Chanel, Bulgari, Chanel jewellery with Kiera Knightley, Van Cleef, Hermes etc. Tatler never boasts a big page count, but it does have a well-off readership.

Tatler also (positively) looks at the style of Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, Dakota's cover story is entitled GREY PRIDE, it's 8 pgs, and it's a curious mix - there's a lot of awkward posing, but she's gorgeous from the neck up. She's used her face to really connect with the camera, but her body has been left behind, like a lead weight.

LOVE AMONG THE RUINS is a 12 pg feature/edit that ties in with the Edward Burne-Jones show at the Tate (Pre-Raphaelite). This fashion edit is a lite version of Madigan Heck, shot by Luc Braquet, styled by Oliver Volquardsen, with models Niki Trefilova and Luke Robson.

A GAME OF TWO HALVES is an 8 pg look at WAGs, the partners of sportspeople, specifically soccer players. This is the sort of Daily Mail/Tatler crossover content that I secretly like.

COLOURFUL CUES is a reprint of an edit from US Vogue Aug 18, called SEIZE THE DAY, about a line of ladies queuing for the toilet, standing at the bus stop etc. It's fun, so it fits in Tatler, and there's no way I'd waste my money on US Vogue these days, so I don't mind seeing it here.

Then there's a 2 pg look at the 'special relationship', and the alliance between the British-American alt-right. Then there's a short beauty section, and the travel section is mostly concerned with skiing, and opens with a shot of Kristen McMenamy. The Tatler throwback page looks at Princess Eugenie's April 2008 cover.

As a subscriber, I'll enjoy reading this issue, but there's nothing that would have induced me to buy it on the newsstand.

However, Tatler doesn't feel neurotic - it's not desperate and uncertain, running scared of the internet - and there's a lot to be said for a confident magazine. It also still believes in glamour, which always gets my vote.

Benn98 and axiomatic like this.