Tatler September 2019 : Olympia Campbell by Louie Banks

aracic

Staff member
Reaction score
2september-cover.jpg

tatler

Oh thats stunning

Boring. Old fashioned style and I don't like the angle of her face.

Breathtaking! A truly stunning cover. I truly doubt Vogue, Harper's and Elle would be able to beat this. Can't wait to have this one in my collection.
The charm of it all is that Dennen isn't even relying on a Meisel or flashy stylists for his hit covers, they just come together naturally under his editor's eye. And he should also send a copy to Justine to prove to her that it is possible to romantic and evocative about the Dover cliffs without ditching the glamour.

Really well done, she looks more like a movie star than a model, and I mean that in a good way -- they gave her a lot of character in this spread. Love the shot of her in the tartan suit.

Got my subscription copy, this is filled with all the glamour you're not going to get in UK Vogue this month.

It's 168 pgs, but the size of Tatler doesn't change much over the months. The the digital cover above is a bright sky blue in contrast to the print version, which is more of a faded blue-green.

Ads aplenty, starting with gatefold 4pg Dior, 2 pg Gucci, 2 pg Armani with Kate Moss, 2 pg Vuitton, 4 pg Chanel, 2 pg Prada with Gigi, 2 pg Dolce & Gabbana, 2 pg Fendi, 2 pg Miu Miu, 2 pg Michael Kors Collection, then you're on to the usual ads for watches and jewellery. Back page is Keira for the Chanel J12 watch.

Editorials:
Spa-rkle!
5 pg jewellery editorial where Aliana @ Premier acts like a young heiress who refuses to take off her diamonds when pretending to do something in the health spa. Shot by Claire Rothstein, styled by Sophie Pera.

The Venus of Margate
The continuation of the cover story, with 6 further full-page shots and a 2 pg interview with Olympia. Shot by Louie Banks, styled by Sophie Pera, interviewed by David Jenkins.

The Beautiful Fall
A 12 page satirical catwalk editorial where 'Hanna @ The Squad' wears a head-to-toe look from a particular designer on each page. Looks a lot like Hana Soukupová to me. Shot by the Morelli Brothers, styled by Sophie Pera (one busy woman).

Welcome to the Circus
This is their debutant feature, its a 26 pg outdoors-shot editorial where everyone (men and women) pretend they're part of a fun fair, sone are the clowns, some are the revellers. Shot by Louie Banks, styled by Sophie Pera.

The Beauty section opens with a stunning b/w archive shot of Michele Hicks, and the travel section has an archive shot of Kate Moss by Tim Walker. There's a lot of promotion of Chanel in these two sections, from autumn make-up to visiting Paris.

The Tatler Throwback cover is Princess Diana from August 1990.

There's also an article about Nicky Haslam turning 80 in this issue. There's no-one more 'Tatler' than Nicky Haslam.

When Tatler have a better September cover than Vogue:blink:...I really can't abide this magazine but I have to give it to them, they've really pulled their socks up since the new editor took charge.

The Venus of Margate

Photographer: Louie Banks
Stylist: Sophie Pera
Hair: Oscar Pera
Makeup: Terry Barber
Manicure: Ami Streets
Cast: Olympia Campbell

Tatler Digital Magazine

Welcome to the Circus

Photographer: Louie Banks
Set Design: Derek Hardy Martin
Makeup: Pablo Rodriguez
Manicure: Chisato Yamamoto
Cast: Lily Jean Harvey, Fyah Connell, Ikram Abdi Omar, Oli Kearon, Yuki Beniya, Pauline De Blonay, Emma and Charlotte Dugard, Matty Bova, Lucas Nettleton-Tate, Gigi Hari, Josh Quinton, Ella Hope Merryweather, Ione Gamble, Mimi Wade, Jordan Vickors, Antonino Russo, Nicolo Pablo Venerdi, Leah Abbott, Harry Freegard, Kai-Isaiah Jamal, Iris Luz, Ayaana Aschkar-Stevens

Tatler Digital Magazine

Spa-rkle!

Photographer: Claire Rothstein
Makeup: Terry Barber
Manicure: Michelle Humphrey
Cast: Aliana King

Tatler Digital Magazine

I like the editorial but not the cover. :lol:

I like Olympia Campbell. She’s a good model with a great look. Healthy, athletic, androgynous, well-bred, very British looking thing. I like her better than Edie, by far.

Her editorial is nothing groundbreaking and isn’t destined for the history books - but it’s charming and well executed in its own right. Not overstyled or gimmicky and just aspirational enough to not be another one of the downer editorials that seem to plague every magazine now.

What a september issue though it’s pretty thin.

This circus story is very Tim Walker on a budget. But I like it none the less - like all other editorials! The mood of the cover story is very "last warm days of the year" and I feel it.

Dennen is really misplaced at Tatler - he belongs at a Vogue or worst case scenario he could take over one o the many ailing British magazines. Maybe if Justine decides to pack it in.
His entire magazine, from the cover to the art direction, to the features (still roll my eyes at the 'struggles' of the Tatler demographic though), to the choice in archival images, is top notch.
I like how he's catering to both the regular Tatler reader with gaudy and ostentatiously glamorous edits such as the jewellery and collections, and the more fashion-forward set at the same time. Mad about Olympia's feature, especially that last shot which looks like such a throwback to vintage British Vogue shoots. She's showing a lot of promise so far!

Can't believe the reality is that tacky Tatler managed the strongest and most cohesive September issue so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->