Tess Giberson Resort 2015

marcBarna

Reaction score
After slogging through the long winter, the ideas of escapism, lightness and ease were hot on Tess Giberson’s mind. Enter the pool. That cool blue water and the lifestyle surrounding it provided inspiration for the chalky color palette, hand-painted palm tree prints and kitschy flowers that recalled retro swim caps.

Done in white denim, a tailored suit was approachable, while a sky blue, wrap-front asymmetric slipdress paired nicely with a white rabbit fur jacket. The designer also updated her traditionally witchy knits by using an airy mixture of crochet and netting on a sweatshirt and running shorts.

wwd

JUNE 02, 2014
NEW YORK
By Maya Singer

Like a lot of people, Tess Giberson spent much of the interminable winter that just passed fantasizing about swimming pools. Those daydreams were the jumping-off point for her new collection, and in lots of ways, the inspiration was apt. Resort is all about daydreams of warm, sunny places and water lapping about, throwing off light. Giberson's translation of that emphasized slouchy, open-weave sweaters; sport-inspired pieces like jogging shorts; and optical, black-and-white knits and jacquards that riffed on the tile work commonly found at swimming pools. She also made nice use of mosaic-patterned crochet and a watercolor print of a palm tree that was painted by her husband. A few pieces here seemed out of place, like the stretch leather leggings in white, paneled in matching calf hair, but overall the collection struck the right breezy tone. A white denim suit, comprised of a jacket narrow about the shoulder and trousers with a barely-there flare, looked particular sharp. And a slipdress in aqua blue had a terrific, shrugged-on, diaphanous sexiness. These clothes were smart and appealing—if not as seductive as the notion of sunning by the side of a pool and then diving in. But then, what is?

style.com

she lacks any sort of signature to her collections...
this is different from her previous works and could be by anyone...

i have so much stuff by her but it looks nothing like this...
i don't get it...

she's all over the place...

This collection feels so half-***ed for her. She usually adds much more exciting elements to her tailoring, but here the silhouettes are so minimal and just... blah. I actually feel like she's really good at incorporating graphic images subtly in a collection and making it feel really cool, but here they are almost the focal point, and then it makes the whole collection take on a very weird try-hard vibe. Disappointing.

i'm actually quite shocked she even decided to do resort in the first place....it just never seemed like something that was her thing. but i guess there's the pressure to sell and this is currently a hot commodity. there are some good aspects but i agree softie,it feels a little all over the place and not very distinctive....most of which more ordinary than one would expect to see from tess. feels like some nods to VPL and a.f. vandevorst in certain areas and others you'd expect to see from every other same-y young-ish designer in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->