The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is doable, if you mix it up with accessories.

Also, if you alternated, say you wore your black skirt and pink sweater on Monday but then wore the black skirt with a different top on Wednesday and the sweater on Friday. I would just feel dull wearing the exact same outfit over and over.

seraphelle, you have a similar philosophy of clothing as i have, except i splurge even less on expensive pieces. ^_^

i have a friend who seems more european in her habits of dress and appreciation of cut and material than american. she taught me a lot about clothing, and it's because of her that i started altering my own clothing. we used to experiment and go to thrift stores -- she's the only one who i know who could wear a weight belt as a cumberbund across the chest w/ a sleeveless turtleneck and make it look chic. B) anyways, those avant garde days are seemingly over and we've both traded in our crazy handmade creations for a more streamlined wardrobe.
her: black blazers and sheer black long sleeve shirts etc etc. trousers and jeans perfectly starched and ironed, and serious chic, polished locks. a hybrid of italian and french :P very yohji...

me: a bit of that w/ a twist of anti fashion midwest punk.. i'd like to say japanese avant garde, but on a cheaper budget!

I ve started to earn my own money - I want quality! So I dont spent money on many pieces, just on few - 5 quality pieces a year! And so more clothes which is a necesity (to gym, socks, tees...)

I think - wear the same exact clothes 2 days in a row IS NOT a no-no!!
Sometimes you are late, so you have to pick your clothes as fast as possible...
Or you feel so comfortalble in it than you WANT to wear it AGAIN!

fashionista-ta said:
I agree, nothing wrong with wearing one of the pieces from yesterday the next day--in fact you could do that on a rolling basis all week.
I used to have quite the collection of silk paisley skirts, some from the same labels. We had a really bitchy receptionist at work and once when I was walking by I heard her stage-whisper, "She's wearing that skirt again!" It was a different one, but she was too stupid to know it :lol:

Agreed. I tend to repeat items, and I have a lot of identical and practically identical stuff...

fashionista-ta said:
I used to have quite the collection of silk paisley skirts, some from the same labels. We had a really bitchy receptionist at work and once when I was walking by I heard her stage-whisper, "She's wearing that skirt again!" It was a different one, but she was too stupid to know it :lol:

[font=&quot]Its pretty obvious to me she didn’t have enough work do to, or should wouldn’t be so petty as to remember who wore what when. Talk about not having a life! :unsure:[/font]

I think this is a great idea! I've got a bulging wardrobe already and in fact I need to clear it out each time I do any major shopping. I think it'll work for me because I go for classics most of the time and it's money well spent IMO. And ... I never wear the same clothes twice without washing. The moment I come home from work, they go into the laundry basket. The exception is jeans because I cannot stand fresh jeans!

travolta said:
seraphelle, you have a similar philosophy of clothing as i have, except i splurge even less on expensive pieces. ^_^

i have a friend who seems more european in her habits of dress and appreciation of cut and material than american. she taught me a lot about clothing, and it's because of her that i started altering my own clothing. we used to experiment and go to thrift stores -- she's the only one who i know who could wear a weight belt as a cumberbund across the chest w/ a sleeveless turtleneck and make it look chic. B) anyways, those avant garde days are seemingly over and we've both traded in our crazy handmade creations for a more streamlined wardrobe.
her: black blazers and sheer black long sleeve shirts etc etc. trousers and jeans perfectly starched and ironed, and serious chic, polished locks. a hybrid of italian and french :P very yohji...

me: a bit of that w/ a twist of anti fashion midwest punk.. i'd like to say japanese avant garde, but on a cheaper budget!

Both your wardrobes sounds great, the weight belt as a cummerbund included :D

The September Vogue has lots of interesting coverage of escalating prices ... one of the articles contains a reference to a **2-3** piece French wardrobe, so apparently the number has shrunk on us! :D I will post again when I've finished gathering all my pieces, but I'm already past 4-5 ...

Btw, 2-3 doesn't really keep pace with what's wearing out/the cleaners are destroying/accidents befalling etc. in my wardrobe. I've ditched 4 pieces so far this season ... if I were adding only 2-3 I'd be behind ...

Anyone finished shopping for your fall wardrobe yet?

*Perfectly tailored black pants

*Perfectly tailored black blazer

*Trench

*Perfect fitting jeans

*Flats

(these are what I consider to be the most vital pieces, though I really really wanted to make it 6 with a great classic bag)

Fabulyss said:
*Perfectly tailored black pants

*Perfectly tailored black blazer

*Trench

*Perfect fitting jeans

*Flats

(these are what I consider to be the most vital pieces, though I really really wanted to make it 6 with a great classic bag)

So you're topless under your jackets? :lol:

I should really begin to focus more on quality rather than quantity soon. I buy too many items which I like, not love. I'm beginning to get better though, so this whole french-idea kind of appeals to me now. I already have what I value as key pieces; the black pants, the perfect jeans, this fall's "goes with everything"-quality jacket, the good pair of black, leather boots, the flats; actually I have several of each. I love shopping so much, it would be hard to limit my buys to 4-5 pieces per season...But it does feel good when I save up to buy those more expencive things I know I am absolutely going to adore to death...:blush:

I would love to see some great French street style. I haven't as of yet.

Here's where I am confused. How well are designers and their boutiques doing in France if folk don't have very many pieces of clothing? Doesn't that mean they don't shop as much?

I really think the French shop quite a lot, this "4-5 piece wardrobe" is really about the "important" pieces each season. Then you buy accessories, underwear, tops, shoes and so on...

So you're topless under your jackets?

:P I thought this was about French basics. Obviously, one cannot build an entire wardrobe with just 4-5 items. Though I must admit, I love the look of a woman in a suit with no shirt on underneath!

TheSweetest said:
I would love to see some great French street style. I haven't as of yet.

Here's where I am confused. How well are designers and their boutiques doing in France if folk don't have very many pieces of clothing? Doesn't that mean they don't shop as much?

Well, certainly not everyone in France subscribes to this philosophy ... and it may be that they're all lying to us like we were their husbands and smugging purchases galore :lol:

OTOH, just because you buy fewer pieces doesn't mean you're not spending as much, or more.

But I would agree, underwear for sure can't count, even as seldom as some Europeans bathe :ninja: :innocent: :lol:

PrinceOfCats said:
I buy less than that in a year. Maybe I'm secretly French.

Haha word to that, PoC...I think I've bought like 5 items total this year thus far, and it most likely isn't going to go much higher above that. Eh, as long as I got clothes to cover my skin and keep me warm and all those bare necessities, s'all good!

I remember my brother in HS used to keep a log of what he wore so he wouldn't wear the same thing twice week.. I thought that was ridiculous because my theory is.. if you don't remember what you wore 3 days ago.. why would anyone else??.. and yes this is a HS in the US

CharlottefromCA said:
I remember my brother in HS used to keep a log of what he wore so he wouldn't wear the same thing twice week.. I thought that was ridiculous because my theory is.. if you don't remember what you wore 3 days ago.. why would anyone else??.. and yes this is a HS in the US

Do you know, I used to do that too when I was in high school ... but it was to make sure I was properly rotating my wardrobe :lol: Needless to say, that practice has gone by the wayside :wink:

I don't think I'm french at all. :( I've got a thing when I got to the mall, I say in my head "Krissy you will pick out nice and lasting clothes." But when I walk into the store and see something cheap, I have to buy it. I guess I'll just have to work on it. :doh:

Here's my "French" wardobe for fall ...

2 pr shoes
2 tops
1 pr jeans
1 pr slacks
1 sweater
1 jacket
1 coat
1 bag
1 wallet
lingerie, hosiery

Tell me yours ...