The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #10

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by tFS Thread Manager, Aug 5, 2017.

1. eizhowa

eizhowa Active Member

Hi guys, I haven't checked in for a while (since october...). Life got very busy:neutral: It is currently 2:40 am and I am trying to catch up on laundry before work starts tomorrow (/today) morning...

Wow, TommyGirl, you have had quite a year! It seems things have really turned around for you in a good way:flower:

Betina, I am litteraly watching the Minimalism documentary on Netflix as I type...

Fashionista-ta: How long will you give StitchFix a try?

Whoever ends up with the coat better send a picture of it!

Barbaraa: The off-white pussybow blouse is stunning!

I picked up a few more items since october:
    For a holiday work party:
    * Black L.K. Benneth suede pumps
    * Sequin midi-dress
    * Velvet black clutch
    2 x work trousers in navy from Filippa-k, both in the same kick flare cut.
    Second-hans lavender (who.would.have.thought:blink:) cashmere jumper. Could be a complete miss. I'll see when it arrives.

I also donated a lot of items. I donated all dresses I owned except the sequin dress I ordered in november. My little sister ran off with the Ganni kimono dress. I had plenty of high quality dresses that were sentimental items that I kept in a large box. A silk dress I bought at 13, the dress I wore for my confirmation, etc. I also donated some shorts and some random other items I thought I donated...

Betinapple likes this.
  2. Betinapple

Betinapple Active Member

Nice to hear from you! Hope you got well through the work day despite the hectic start.

How did you like the documentary?

Suppose you never really got to liking the Ganni Kimono? Will be wearing mine for new years (again - think it is 3rd or 4th year in a row).

3. eizhowa

eizhowa Active Member

I wore it a lot! I just think it is slightly to short. I suit slightly longer dresses better.

I recognized pretty much everyone in that documentary! I watched it to get inspired to get rid of some items, and it worked!

Betinapple likes this.
  4. Betinapple

Betinapple Active Member

Yeah, it definetely is on the shorter side. But great your sister will get use of it :)

Planning on decluttering myself over the next few months - perhaps I should watch it again.

5. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

eizhowa, not sure about StitchFix ... not sure if it's pretty much a total bust for me, or if it will work. I suppose it all depends on finding a good stylist. I wasn't too impressed with the first one. I have another fix scheduled for January, so we shall see ...

6. Betinapple

Betinapple Active Member

Happy New Years to everyone :magic: Anyone else looking back at last years purchases or planning ahead, these days?

At the end of 2017 I decided that I wanted to spend less money on clothes in 2018 and decided on a specific budget for the year. Furthermore I decided that I could spend the money earned from selling clothes I didn't wear anymore and money gifted. No item limitation though, as it didnt feel neccesary with the very low budget - perhaps a third of what I spent previous years.

Looking at my list of purchases my shopping break down for 2018 is:

- Shoes: 3 pairs
    - Dresses: 7
    - Knitwear: 2
    - Bags: 2
    - Tops: 1
    - Jackets 1
    Total purchases (underwear and gifts excluded): 16
    Gifted items: 5 (raincoat, turtleneck and some loungewear).

I am really happy with most items (especially the green cardigan, the Zebra jacket and the black/white wrap dresses which I have worn several times a week). Only mishaps was the sandals (returned due to poor quality), the black polka dot dress (which I love, but it wrinkles by looking at it and the seams are horrible), the burgundy wrap dress and the light blue sweater (when will I accept that I am seldomnly happy with polyester and acrylics?).

Not counting extra income I've stayed just above my monthly budget - including extra income its a breakeven with a minor surplus. Furthermore, the amount of items I've bought is only a fraction of the amount that I bought earlier years. While I did have some "help" in terms of having some gift certificates that covered some of the cost, I am very happy and somewhat proud. Even more so since my life changed quite a bit during the past year (moving, changing jobs, going from being a student to working full time and doing the LDR thing - at one stage I felt like I lived out of my suitcase..).

For 2019 I want to continue this development - although probably aiming at only 1 item per month. And I really want to stop buying items in a quality that I know wont last or that I wont be happy with (poly, acrylics and thin wrinkle-prone viscose). Furthermore, I want to be better at planning ahead - last year I bought what I liked which is fine when you don't have any specific needs, but I know I will need to buy sandals this year and probably a pair of shoes for spring (instead of jumping directly from boots to sandals like previous years).

Pictures via mache.dk, asos.com, zalando.dk, dilling-underwear.dk, mango.com, norseprojects.com, magasin.dk
    purchases2018-1.jpg purchases2018-2.jpg

#466 Betinapple, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  7. fashionista-ta

^ Nice work! And I totally agree ... polyester and acrylic are non-starters :sick:

I got my fix today, and it wasn't super successful. I made a size adjustment in my profile as the coated jeans weren't even close to fitting (granted, they were skinnies). The only items that fit correctly were the pair of sweatpants for WFH and the black leggings, so not counting these items (loungewear/activewear). However, these items are very good. Hopefully next time I can get the jeans to work ...

stitchfix

Nike leggings.jpg Black sweats.jpg

Black sweats.jpg

8. fashionista-ta

^ Not really sure why there are big and small pictures of the sweatpants, but IRL there is just one pair ;)

9. barbaraaa

barbaraaa Member

I might have gone crazy...

[​IMG]

uterque

10. floodette

floodette Member

hi all, happy new year!

this year i decided to add new color to my bw-burgundy-navy wardrobe, that is TEAL!!!

am getting some nail polish in teal (opi teal me more and opi cia)., to give that pop of color.

i already got some tealy clothes in my wardrobe, but never thought about making it officially my color. am excited to see how dark teal is combined with burgundy

11. Betinapple

Betinapple Active Member

@fashionista-ta: leggins look really good!

@barbaraaa: really cute shoes. I love the "pop" white shoes will add to an outfit.
    Personally I would be a bit worried about scuffing them though.

@floodette: Sounds like a really nice colour scheme

floodette likes this.
  12. fashionista-ta

I am wearing the leggings right now :) And coincidentally enough, I bought a teal dress today! It's Eileen Fisher. I also decided to discard the purple one I bought several years ago in Chicago. It's discolored, and there's some pilling (I think it may be primarily inside?). This one is organic cotton with stretch, so the fabrication is different. I love their Renew program--you get a $5 gift card for each item you take back, and they either resell or upcycle them.

This will be perfect for WFH. #4 for spring.

neimanmarcus

Eileen Fisher teal dress.jpg

floodette likes this.
  13. floodette

floodette Member

whoa! thats a very pretty dress, ta-ta!
    what color of shoes and bag do you want to pair it with? can i entice you with.... burgundy? lol

14. Betinapple

Betinapple Active Member

Has anyone here shopped from The Outnet (@eizhowa, @barbaraaa?)? They do ship from within Europe, right?

15. fashionista-ta

Thank you :flower: I don't have any burgundy shoes ;) I think it would go with a lot ... black, any metallic, my snow leopard print ballerinas, pearlescent, etc. I carry the same bag with everything ... usually black.

I have bought from the Outnet, but obviously I'm not in Europe (my honorary EU application though ...)

Also ordered this cashmere scarf ... this is why I was shopping yesterday, I wanted to see it in person. But two stores that were supposed to have it (and another option) didn't ...

neimanmarcus

grey leopard.jpg

16. eizhowa

eizhowa Active Member

^^I have shopped from the outnet. I think the EU has its own site.

17. barbaraaa

barbaraaa Member

I've never shopped from The Outnet... but I have some vague idea they ship from Italy?

Re: white shoes, I'm afraid too! But life is too short... or something.

18. fashionista-ta

^ I think Yoox Europe ships from Italy, so that would make sense ...

I wonder if that tennis shoe whitening bottle works on this type of shoe as well? They're your YOLO shoes ;)

19. barbaraaa

barbaraaa Member

Definitely YOLO shoes! There has to be some way to take care of white leather...?

Yoox Europe definitely ships from Italy. Aren't they and The Outnet owned by the same group? Which makes me wonder... why are they two different websites to begin with?

20. fashionista-ta

^ I guess probably the Outnet has its own customers, and I believe it has more prestige ... but I wish they were combined. I find Yoox much more useful since it has a better selection, especially for size, but I do check the Outnet occasionally ... especially if they send me e-mail about new stuff from a favorite designer ;)