The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant to write maxi skirts, not maxi dresses...esp this season.

Melisande, sounds like you need a statement piece or two, or maybe a fresh accessory ...

Today I completed my shoe return ... oh my. This was a seriously hairy deal. I had to find and complete my own customs paperwork ... Matches doesn't send any for the return, and they don't make that at all clear either ("Be sure to have the customs paperwork ready"). It didn't even cross my mind that it wasn't what came in the package, and DHL didn't tell me when I called either. The DHL guy (who is having to pick up from me twice because of this) commented that they sure took the convenience out of online shopping, and he is so right about that. Anyway ... my returns are done.

Still trying to finalize plans for NYE.

Ta-ta I think you're right.
Or maybe I just need to find a way to actually wear my statement pieces more often, since I do have quite a number of statement pieces that have grown alienated from my core capsule wardrobe.
Or a fresh accessory, yes. Again, I do have many accessories but a fresh one wouldn't hurt... Will keep my eyes open for something that inspires love and excitement...

Ugh, congrats on getting the ordeal over with!!!

I am starting to think that "luxury" stores do not care as much about customer care when it comes to online shopping because it is a solitary experience. If you were in one of their stores expressing how frustrated you were with returning something, I think they would care more... Word might spread...

So while building my wardrobe I’ve noticed I am extremely picky when it comes to bags. I very rarely find ones I like that are not very expensive designer brands. Because of this, I am thinking it would be best to have just one or two very nice bags. The problem is, if I only have one or two handbags I get very bored with them. What do you guys do about this and what are your handbag collections like (including evening bags)? It doesn’t seem at all justifiable to own as many bags as I do shoes or clothes (but I might want to use them as an accessory - I don't really like many accessories and bags do serve a more practical (but expensive!) purpose than just "decoration").

Melisande, maybe you need a bridge between the capsule wardrobe and some of the statement pieces ... I think this is one advantage of switching between acquiring basic and statement pieces. I am a big believer in things working together. When I buy something, I'm thinking about all the different ways it can work with what I already have ... I also think it works well to wear what a former coworker characterized as 'dull' pieces with a statement piece ... like all black and charcoal with red patent heels. I do this a lot.

Ganybelle, if you're extremely picky, you must be in the right place :wink: I have been able to find some moderately priced bags I like, such as Kate Spade, Michael Michael Kors, etc. But in the end I'm frustrated because they end up not lasting.

I hate changing bags, and I don't get tired of them except after months of carrying the same bag every day. I think I have less than half a dozen.

Evening bags, I don't really use very much (and I didn't count them in my total), but there are occasions you need them--like a wedding, or a fancy concert. I have one black velvet and one black silk, and they were not very expensive.

I would say focus on finding an everyday bag you really love, and then work up to a small collection so that you can switch when you feel the need. I recently bought the bag I've wanted for years, and I don't know when I am going to feel like switching again :heart:

Also, if you don't mind a bag being secondhand (and personally I do!), that's one way to get a better price. Another way is not minding it being last year's bag, or a statement color. Check out Gilt ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ganybelle: I only have two handbags. A large tan leather tote (for univeristy) and my Balenciaga City bag in black (for everything else). They are both very versatile, as the tan one matches my red hair and black goes with pretty much everything. You can see them both on my pinterest wardrobe board.

I haven't really felt bored with them since I got my two bags. I have felt bored with other parts of my wardrobe and assumed it had to do something to do with a lack of bags, but it was all in my head (turned out I was suffering from a lack of shoes...).

I am also extremely picky when it comes to bags. I have bought more bags (gold clutch and fig colored baggu bag), but I haven't
really kept them. I have lent them out to friends and family and I am not bothering to ask for them back:innocent: When I need a evening bag, I know I can just borrow from someone else.

I still sometimes dream of a Chanel Reissue, but I know that I don't need it, because my Balenciaga bag looks better on me.

I think two good bags are all you need, but I think it is very important to get it just right. Your bags needs to go with all your outerwear etc. or you are more likely to get bored...

Ganybelle, I'm like you. I'm much more a shoe person. There was a time I even resented bags because I felt they detracted from my outfits. I have a bunch of smaller designer bags with character and color to use occasionally that actually count as part of my outfits, and then one or two big, everyday bags for purely utilitarian schelpping purposes, since I tend to carry a lot. My go-to is the Longchamp pliage (4th or 5th one I own) they're feather-light and super useful and go with everything. It's easier when I just think of everyday bags as a utilitarian thing and not an integral part of the outfit; like carrying a camera or something.

Ta-ta, yes you're right, I just need to wear my statement pieces more often...and now that my winter capsule wardrobe is working well, I can go back to thinking about adding accessories to build that bridge.

I think it's also about getting rid of items I'm just not wearing /excited by, and giving up on trying to integrate them. I've already created a huge pile of give-aways. It helps clarify.

So, my sale ankle boots didn't work out as I would have thought unfortunately, so they are going back. And currently there isn't anything I need or want, so it's quiet over here. :wink: I'm waiting for more sale, probably after Christmas.
How about you guys?

fashionista-ta, eizhowa, Melisande: you guys are right about bags and it is something I have been telling myself all along. I think once I find a bag I really love I won't want to change it so often out of boredom. And coordinating with my outfits is never a problem because I seem to wear the same variation of outfits with the same color scheme every day :P.
Btw I am very jealous of your Balenciaga eizhowa!

@Ta-ta: I aggree. Too good to pass up on. I don't have the time to go to Copenhagen and get i before January, though, I guess. Shame about the pants.

@Fewormany: a bit soon to be tired of winter already? I do feel you. I think my favourite season in regards of dressing is fall, since you can layer up but don't have to wear a bit winter coat.

@Barbaraa: Benneton should be able to provide you with both a pale pink and an emerald green sweater.

@Eizhowa: how about a dress and you Balenciaga chelsea boots? If I can wear dresses with flats, so can you!

New years: I really felt like buying a new dress for the occasion, but I still don't know what I will be doing, and I have perfectly fine dresses for any occation, so I better not. Depending on where we are going I am thinking black, vintage glitter dress or a simple black dress with my sequin kimono.

@Bags: I have way to many but I can't seem to pull myself together and sell the ones I don't use. Right now I just need:
- A big(ger), brown every day bag (Mulberry Bayswater in the colour "chocolate")
- A medium sized black quilt bag that can be worn cross body (Michael Kors sloan bag)
- A big canvas tote
- A small cluth for evening wear (I probably could use the Michael Kors bag instead, but I like having something smaller and more festive - I have used it for every day occasions as well though).

Besides from these I have a big black leather bag, a Marc Jacobs "stam" bag in green that I would like to wear more, but this is apperently not happening, a big cognac coloured woven leather bag (the last time I wore that was when I brought it with me as my carry on for this years vacation), and a small vintage quilt clutch, that I mainly use when I go clubbing, since I have a habit of abandoning my bags when I am drunk, and therefore wouldn't want to bring anything too expensive.

I would say, that if you pick the right bags, you should be able to do with one "day"-sized (depending on how much you carry), and a smaller one for other occasions - perhaps an evening bag as well.

@Melisande: how does those heattech tights work ? (how are they heat-tech, on the website I can see that they are made of nylon).

Betina! the heattech are FAB. I love them, they're comfortable (which for me means nice and snug) and, I found, surprisingly warm even wearing a short skirt in 1 degree celsius.

I envy you girls for being able to carry smaller leather bags for daily use; I carry too much to make it possible, but they look so much nicer, so I try to remember to get them out when I go to dinner. And forget about big leather bags, for me they end up weighing 5 kilos...

Betina! the heattech are FAB. I love them, they're comfortable (which for me means nice and snug) and, I found, surprisingly warm even wearing a short skirt in 1 degree celsius.

I envy you girls for being able to carry smaller leather bags for daily use; I carry too much to make it possible, but they look so much nicer, so I try to remember to get them out when I go to dinner. And forget about big leather bags, for me they end up weighing 5 kilos...

Thank you. Do they have a thermal function of some kind, or? I am starting to freeze a bit in my regular microfiber tights.

I carry a lot of sh*t as well, that is why I am a big fan of my canvas tote - I use it in combination with my small leather bag. Then I carry my essentials (wallet, earplugs, keys etc.) in the leathet bag and books, tablet, food and water in the canvas tote. - practical when I am at uni since I can leave my books when going to the cantina while still having my valuables with me.

I have added another thing to my wishlist: a semi-loose fit stripe l/s tee, preferably in navy blue/white. I have woolen breton sweaters and a tight-fit jersey version, but I would like a looser fitted one (not oversize) for the days where the woolen ones are too hot.

I am looking at the commes des garcons play top, but I think it is very expensive for a simple cotton top and I really don't wanna pay that kind of money if I am not sure it will last me a long time. Please feel free to recommend me any alternatives or share if you have any experience with the CDG top :smile:

Thank you. Do they have a thermal function of some kind, or? I am starting to freeze a bit in my regular microfiber tights.

I carry a lot of sh*t as well, that is why I am a big fan of my canvas tote - I use it in combination with my small leather bag. Then I carry my essentials (wallet, earplugs, keys etc.) in the leathet bag and books, tablet, food and water in the canvas tote. - practical when I am at uni since I can leave my books when going to the cantina while still having my valuables with me.

Yes absolutely! The heat-tech series is known for its thermal technology; they actually work. They also have heat-tech leggings and woolen tights and leg warmers too, if the tights are not enough. Ahh, yes the two-bag solution. I do it very occasionally but always fear forgetting I have one or the other so I just dump everything in one bag. Now that you mention it I remember your canvas tote, it's very nice too.

Yes absolutely! The heat-tech series is known for its thermal technology; they actually work. They also have heat-tech leggings and woolen tights and leg warmers too, if the tights are not enough. Ahh, yes the two-bag solution. I do it very occasionally but always fear forgetting I have one or the other so I just dump everything in one bag. Now that you mention it I remember your canvas tote, it's very nice too.

Thank you - maybe I should try those.

I have been very opposed to the idea as well, but for my uni life it works well (and for work, since I sometimes go out to some of the other stores in my breaks, and then I don't have to carry all of my stuff).

The canvas tote has really served me well, it is so sturdy and I use it a lot! Also it still looks nice, even though it has been in the washer a few times. Also for grocery shopping, since it is huge and due to the wide handles it is a lot more comfortable to carry heavy stuff in, than a regular canvas tote. I have really gotten my moneys worth from it, and as I recall it was very cheap.

I would be interested in a review of those CDG play bretons as well. I am looking for something not tight, but still small enough to fit my frame.

I have a canvas bag as well, but I don't really count it as a bag. I only use it for carrying empty bottles back to the store and that is so not glamorous:wink:

I will head into town on Monday and see if I can't find a solution to this new years eve outfit conundrum.

I don't think my ankles/legs are good enough to combine chelsea boots and a dress, unfortunately:( It is not impossible that your legs are longer than mine Betina. Last time I measured my torso was 3 cm too long:P Also, My eyes are 10% too far apart... but lets not fall into this rabbit hole:D (I should have been in Mean Girls - "My nailbeds suck!")

I would be interested in a review of those CDG play bretons as well. I am looking for something not tight, but still small enough to fit my frame.

I have a canvas bag as well, but I don't really count it as a bag. I only use it for carrying empty bottles back to the store and that is so not glamorous:wink:

I will head into town on Monday and see if I can't find a solution to this new years eve outfit conundrum.

I don't think my ankles/legs are good enough to combine chelsea boots and a dress, unfortunately:( It is not impossible that your legs are longer than mine Betina. Last time I measured my torso was 3 cm too long:P Also, My eyes are 10% too far apart... but lets not fall into this rabbit hole:D (I should have been in Mean Girls - "My nailbeds suck!")

:lol: I do have an amazingly short torso (well, I must have since all tops are insanely long on me).

I hope you will be able to find something, and let me know if you find a review of the CDG tops.

:shock: I thought only dogs and livestock had breed standards...:(:(

I think the less we know about all of them, the better :wink: I happen to know from trying on hats that I have quite a large head ... but it's only so my brain can fit :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->