The Art of Layering

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by highheels, May 17, 2004.

1. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

2. Aida.Sevan

Aida.Sevan New Member

3. TheSoCalledPrep

TheSoCalledPrep New Member

You know, I really dislike those shirts that are made to look layered, but it's all one piece... do you know what I'm talking about? They're supposed to look like a baby tee with a long sleeve top underneath. *GAG*

4. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

They do? How strange...

I was layering the pink vest with the white ribbed tank yesterday...kind of the gay gigolo look...

5. Plumour

Plumour New Member

I personally hate this kind of layering :wacko: :ninja:

6. ahhGucci

ahhGucci Active Member

This was a trend a few years ago, and I didn't wear it then.

7. MoMoCiTa

MoMoCiTa New Member

yahh its not really a new new trend...people have always been kindaa layering there clothes
    but i personally like layering my clothes.....im usually wearing a halter top under any baggy shirt or anything it will look goood under.....i love it for the summer cuz it reminds me of going to the beach..... B)

8. Misako

Misako within an embrace

I think layering in the style of the new tanks (ie, gap & C&C) are cute, but only certain people can pull it off. I saw some pictures of Hilary Duff with layered C&C tops, and it just made her look BIG. Sometimes, it can be cute, though.

9. eloes

eloes New Member

I was on the Olsen thread and I noticed some nice layering there.

Here is some layering of two tank tops (the simple kind that some of you seem to like). I actually like it here, too, mostly because of the way it works with the bracelets and things. I dunno, it just appeals.

Here's some other layering that I just love. I want a blazer like that one! I know that I'd wear it all the time. I adore both outfits (and yes, I know that Mary-Kate's isn't really layered, but it was in the photo and it's cute :p ).

There are other examples on the thread, but those are two of my favorites. :heart:

10. banana

banana New Member

I've tried to layer my clothes but I think it's more comfortable just to wear one shirt at a time. I've always been like that...

Though I have worn t-shirt over a long sleeved shirt to class in the winter but I usually pick more exciting/contrasting colours. :ninja:

11. EdK

EdK New Member

sweater dilemma - layering

How do you guys wwear your sweaters? I usually like to layer underneath by wearing a button down shirt or something to add some thickness cuz im skinny. There are a few jcrew sweaters i want to get but i cant decide if i should buy them in small or medium. The smalls are a little tighter what should i buy if im goign to layer?

12. AlexN

AlexN New Member

Maybe you should buy one of each size?

13. utopia

utopia ingenue

for layering I would tend to go for the smaller size...since they're likely to be shorter and it's nice to have the bottom of the under layer peeking out.

14. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

Can we talk about layering?..

a lot of people here do it very well...
    and many people do it in unexpected ways...
    ie-helena puts things on top of other things that i would never even think of...
    susie b.-puts layers on top of layers...
    etc...etc...

i do it myself sometimes...
    but there are times that i find it really difficult to find the right shapes...
    or i feel like the layers shift throughout the day and i am a rumpled mess before long...
    plus i don't actually want to add 'thickness'...if you know what i mean...

**can some of our members please share any style tips about successful ways to layer...

all you girls really seem to be good at this and i am just looking for any tips you can provide to doing this successfully...
    examples...
    -are there any materials that are better suited for this?...
    -any fabrics or shapes that are better under or over?...
    -what about armholes?...(sometimes too many layers feels like wearing a straightjkt)..:ninja:
    -how do you keep from getting all dishevelled?...

**and anything else you guys can think of...
    ....;)

THANKS for sharing!!... :woot:

:flower:

15. travolta

travolta New Member

i got some dark gunmetal- green silk from a fabric store and i cut it up hankerchief style and tied the ends together and you can create make shift aprons (layered over clothes) or multi-scarves without sewing ... ;P

16. susie_bubble

susie_bubble New Member

Wow...honoured that I got a mention...thanks softie!
    Um...I don't really have a science behind it. My usual reasons for my excessive layering is that I want to double up my summer wardrobe and adapt it for colder weather. Or that something by itself looks too simple for me (don't ask me why I have to always complicate things!)
    I think fabric contrast is great when layering, like silks and satins with cotton jersey or wool. Heavier fabrics like cottons go better under the lighter fabrics. This works great for dresses (converting skimpy/dressy dresses into daywear and winterwear). Though I also love chunky knits vests over thin cotton.
    Layering also plays on proportions. The short over the long works better i.e. a shrunken camisole over a long wifebeater. Items that are the same length layered over and over again tends to make it bulky and dishevelled. That's not a strict rule...I personally just like contrasts when layering. I don't think I'd do it otherwise :D

17. Plastic'sWife

Plastic'sWife New Member

Im so glad you asked all this soft, I seriously am really clueless on how to do this...

18. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

I simply try to put on as many clothes as possible. I'm always freezing.

19. Curious

Curious New Member

Great topic Soft! You're good at that :p Things I do :flower:

- stick to lightweight/thin materials with the possible exception of the outer layer. Materials I find that work well layered and still allow you to breathe are modals & silks.

- under layers are usually simple shapes like an oxford shirt, tank, s/s or l/s T etc. I also stick to silk, poly or modal usually for an under layer... something "slick". I find cotton tends to stick to other layers creating that frumpled mess you referred to when you move (unless the upper layer is one of the aforementioned materials). Cotton on cotton only seems to work if the shapes closely mimic each other to begin with so they move together

- leave voluminous layers for the top. Squashing them doesn't work and is uncomfortable imo

- armholes is a good point :p I've tried to layer batwings under stuff and it just doesn't work :lol: Too voluminous as above! I guess I generally have the smallest armhole on the bottom...

- If there's any sort of detailing on the under layer (crossovers, embroidery, eyelet), I put a more substantial/heavy layer on top to smooth it out so to speak

I also like the idea of layering different necklines... i.e. a scoopneck over a crewneck to give some dimension and depth. I also love puffed sleeves poking out from underneath a sleeveless shell...

Oh the possibilities... endless :woot:

Hope this has helped ;)

20. tott

tott slightly dizzy

I think you covered everything practical here, and I couldn't agree more! Especially the part about avoiding friction, all too true.