The Art of Layering

Tip:

The Guardian reckons you should get a length of chiffron to use as a neckscarfthingy and dye it the same colour as one of your tops, for a colour-coordinated layer look.

I never said it was going to be a good tip...

so can anyone recommend some cheap and easy to find tops for the bottom layers?...
ie-pack of hanes t-shirts...

who makes good long sleeve tops cheap?...
do i have to get american apparel?..
i find their quality so bad...
maybe forever 21?...

any ideas american girls???...

i'm not an american girl....:wink: :P....but i buy men's singlet tops in an XS size and find them perfect.....hanes in nth america....(bonds, for anyone in australia).....they come in packs of 3.....grey, white, black, blue, etc.....and are perfect for this kind of layering...
i think i pay about $6 for a pack of 3.....compared to i dont know what at AA for just one.....and i find they keep their shape far better.....
:flower:

Very much agree with layering silk ... it slides so nicely. I usually layer tone-on-tone ... boring perhaps :P ... but it allows a lot of detail in the indiv pieces without looking busy. I also go thinner with the upper layer if the lower layer is detailed, so the details can show thru ... I have a silk 3/4 cardigan with a chiffon front that does this very well. Kind of like Elizabeth Taylor photographed thru cheesecloth :P

For fall, I also layer eggplant wool under ... it's bias-cut, and I layer under a 3/4 sl black cardigan that has tiny buttons up top (empire) and then flares. Makes for an interesting (and flattering) silhouette ...

Oh, one thing I have done in the past is buy a raw silk shirt with slits at the sides a couple sizes two big and wear it as a jacket. I like that hem style for an outer layering piece, it's covered-up enough for the office yet flattering too.

Layering is also good for getting extra mileage out of tops that are too low-cut to wear to work on their own, but are just fine under a jacket or cardigan.

do you all find it difficult to find the right layers...?
i find it takes that much longer to get dressed because you really have to try stuff on and experiment to see what works and what doesn't...

you know?...
sometimes i just don't have the time or the patience...:rolleyes:...
but it does extend your wardrobe....
so i want to try...

softgrey said:
so can anyone recommend some cheap and easy to find tops for the bottom layers?...
ie-pack of hanes t-shirts...

do i have to get american apparel?..
i find their quality so bad...
maybe forever 21?...

any ideas american girls???...

i think 2xist should go into women's business. Looks like there is a market :D

softgrey I really like petit bateau for under-tops but not sur eyou get in there....they do several different neck shapes (round/scoop/v-neck) in most colours.

helena said:
softgrey I really like petit bateau for under-tops but not sur eyou get in there....they do several different neck shapes (round/scoop/v-neck) in most colours.

we only get children's clothes, and they are EXPENSIVE :doh:

petit bateau has become EXTREMELY trendy here actually...
you can get it at dept stores like saks now...

but don't they just come in basic colours..?
all the ones i have are white...

**i'm not really looking for the obvious basics...like wht tanks or t's...
i was hoping for something a bit more creative or adventurous...
you know-great colours...interesting textures....different necklines...etc...
but maybe there just isn't anything....:ermm:

softgrey said:

That's what I want to know. Sometimes the tanks are easy to find, especially after the layering craze last season, but long long-sleeved tops are tough to find.

EXACTLY erin...
maybe the answer is obvious...
old navy, gap, banana, j crew, etc...

i'm going to check forever 21...they have so much stuff...
they must have something...

i remember i used to have the best l/s top that i got at banana...
and another that i got at the gap....

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Good luck, Softie. If Forever 21 has 'em, defiitely let us know. :smile: I guess I've never really checked too hard at Banana and Gap, I just figured their items would be normal in length... like hitting below the hip... but I should check for the longer tops there.

I don't really layer with t-shirts. I like camisoles and other kinds of tops like that. One great place to check for nice layering pieces are lingerie departments. Sometimes you can find a great camisole or thin t-shirt there.

yes...see...
we needed you here strawberry...:flower:

and how about dresses...?...

*question?...
do you get a bigger size in something if you know you are going to wear stuff underneath?...

^I tend to layer looser fit dresses on top of the tighter ones (but the top layer has to be shorter than the one underneath) so I just buy all the same size. It really depends on the fit of the dress.

Ho, thanks soft :P

I often wear dresses over a skirt, or maybe two if that looks nicer :D. I agree with susie, I often layer just because I need to make lighter clothes more wearable, since there's not much of a summer and definitely not much cash :lol:
(so I always end up buying out of season, in sales, but still want to wear new purchases straight away. :P )

And I don't think it looks bulky wearing so many items, because they're usually either a bit light or sheer.

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
and how about dresses...?...

i like to combine strappy dresses with same colour or co-ordinating t-shirts or recently turtle necks:heart:

or if its a v-neck wrap dress stick a nice vest/strappy top underneath

well thats what i tend to do anyway:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->