The 'Book Challenge' Thread

jexxica

Reaction score
What and how much are you planning to read in 2019?

I go for 50 books.

Thanks for the thread, @jexxica! Onto a bigger and brighter year for all of us. Hope that everyone will have a great year full of interesting books.

I'm keeping my expectations low - I'm going for 20 books. :lol:

Last year i read around 20 books which for me is quite good since in 2017 i only read 1-2 books lmao.

This year i'm trying 30.

I read 52 last year. Will try to get to 60-65 this year

Thanks for the thread, @jexxica! Onto a bigger and brighter year for all of us. Hope that everyone will have a great year full of interesting books.

I'm keeping my expectations low - I'm going for 20 books. :lol:
At the rate at which I am going, I'd be happy to go for 10 to 15... :lol:

Good luck, everyone!

I've made a personal pledge to read a book a week, should be easy to manage considering the amount of time I go for dinner, watch Netflix, post on here, run and swim. But so far I'm only just halfway with Tommy Orange's There There. And I actually know I could've managed more.

So I'll be safe and say 60 is a good number to aim for.

My first book of the year! A really great one too!

1. My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg with Mary Hartnett and Wendy W. Williams

I'm aiming for 12 but hopefully it will be more 15-20 books!

1. Heavy by Kiese Laymon (A befitting title, terrific memoir)

My list of books read for now this 2019:

1. Books of Blood #1-3 by Clive Barker
2. Wildfire by Richard Ford
3. Por qué volvías cada verano by Belén López Peiró
4. Un año sin amor by Pablo Pérez
5. Amores como el nuestro by Charo Márquez
6. El desierto y su semilla by Jorge Barón Biza
7. The ghost stories by Edith Wharton
8. El gato tuvo la culpa by Hebe Uhart
9. El nervio óptico by María Gainza

As last year, I'm trying to read many Argentinian authors, and also female authors in general.

Good luck, everyone!

I've made a personal pledge to read a book a week, should be easy to manage considering the amount of time I go for dinner, watch Netflix, post on here, run and swim. But so far I'm only just halfway with Tommy Orange's There There. And I actually know I could've managed more.

where do you swim? I've got to add that to my list for 2019 :P

like last year, I don't have a number but I began to read graphic novels. And I want to continue that this year
Also want to read collections of poetry.

where do you swim? I've got to add that to my list for 2019 :P

like last year, I don't have a number but I began to read graphic novels. And I want to continue that this year
Also want to read collections of poetry.

At Aston's sports centre, at our local uni. So it's semi-private, I suppose. I've not been to a public swimming pool in ages, only when I travel.

It's easy for me to stick to the sessions because I enjoy it. Like running. Do it 3 times a week, more if I have the time. They've got yoga classes too, but I don't go there because it's more fitness yoga as opposed to spiritual.

Sorry to derail the thread!

Good luck, everyone!

I've read 60 books last year. It is not as easy as I have thought, considering reading is the thing I like most in the world and I gladly forgo watching Netflix and TV for a good book. This year is already a bit of a mess and my reading has been patchy.

I've just read Vulgar Favours by Maureen Orth because i just watched the Assassination of Gianni Versace. It's incredibly well researched but kind of bitchy and slightly homophobic. The author totally lost me me at the end when she enters conspiracy theory territory, and I'm of the opinion there a special circle of hell where conspiracy theorists will end up in.

Now I'm probably the only person in the world that is reading a biography of Empress Eugénie wife of Napoleon III, called "Eugénie: The Empress and her Empire", she's not the most thrilling of subjects, but she "reigned" in the period of History I'm most interested in so for me she's just one more tiny piece of a much bigger puzzle.

I've read 60 books last year. It is not as easy as I have thought, considering reading is the thing I like most in the world and I gladly forgo watching Netflix and TV for a good book. This year is already a bit of a mess and my reading has been patchy.

I've just read Vulgar Favours by Maureen Orth because i just watched the Assassination of Gianni Versace. It's incredibly well researched but kind of bitchy and slightly homophobic. The author totally lost me me at the end when she enters conspiracy theory territory, and I'm of the opinion there a special circle of hell where conspiracy theorists will end up in.

Well let me put it this way, I'm still busy with There There, lol. Should've been done with it by now, but I keep getting interrupted. The book itself is near perfect and each time I pick it up I'm actually 100% dedicated to it. I do find that I'm subconsciously rationing myself because it's that good. Excellent flow and there are quite a few poignant and historical moments which really hits you hard. The characters seem earnest, and it adopts the 21 Grams-type of flow and interconnection of characters.

Yes, Maureen Orth's got somewhat of an obsession with that murder. Kind of like the same way Dominick Dunne was with the OJ Simpson trial. She was the very first journalist to take on an investigative piece for Vanity Fair immediately after his death in 97'. After that, we got at least 2 or so more features. I didn't know about the conspiracy theory thing though, hahaha, but I wouldnt put it past her.

[
Well let me put it this way, I'm still busy with There There, lol. Should've been done with it by now, but I keep getting interrupted. The book itself is near perfect and each time I pick it up I'm actually 100% dedicated to it. I do find that I'm subconsciously rationing myself because it's that good. Excellent flow and there are quite a few poignant and historical moments which really hits you hard. The characters seem earnest, and it adopts the 21 Grams-type of flow and interconnection of characters.

Yes, Maureen Orth's got somewhat of an obsession with that murder. Kind of like the same way Dominick Dunne was with the OJ Simpson trial. She was the very first journalist to take on an investigative piece for Vanity Fair immediately after his death in 97'. After that, we got at least 2 or so more features. I didn't know about the conspiracy theory thing though, hahaha, but I wouldnt put it past her.

I'm sold! Definitely on my reading list now. Thank you.

Apparently already in 99 the New York Times reviewer took her to task about that, something that it seems she still hasn't forgiven him.:lol:

There There was my favorite book last year. Teary towards the end.

1. Heavy by Kiese Laymon
2. Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah

It seems that I am finally catching up.
  1. My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg with Mary Hartnett and Wendy W. Williams
  2. 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari
  3. The Art of Forgery by Noah Charney
  4. Sunset Survivors by Lindsay Varty
All really great reads thus far!

The first book is a set of essays and speeches, and excerpts of judgments, by Justice Ginsburg. The woman has accomplished so much as a lawyer and a judge, and seeing her writing is incredible. The book has been written and compiled in a way that makes it accessible for the average reader - not just for lawyers!

I liked the second book as well. I haven't read the other two books by Harai, but I thought this book was informative, meditative and consistently thought-provoking. Highly recommended!

The third one is made up of different stories on art forgers throughout history. Charney's insights into the psyche of various forgers are interesting, and the book is altogether enjoyable and engaging. I am not sure how I feel about the way Charney's decision to categorize the stories according to the forgers' specific motivations. I find the categorization somewhat arbitrary.

I cannot get over how wonderful the fourth book is. It is a coffee-table book filled with interviews with and stories of those who work in dying industries in Hong Kong. The author aptly captures the inner lives of these people, and the love and respect that they have for their craft. Truly an astounding and touching piece of work! It makes me terribly sad to see these industries fading in the ever-changing city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->