The Business of Celebrities as Fashion Brand Ambassadors

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by Benn98, May 26, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'll posit this thread in here, but it can be moved if the mods feel it should be elsewhere....

Basically it will be about all about celebrity brand ambassadors. The pros an cons. How lucrative or ill-fitting they are for the brand, whether some brands should could do well with some celeb repping, and some without, etc etc.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-marion-cotillard-dropped-by-dior-1005385

Kirsten Dunst in Variety:
    Source: http://variety.com/2017/film/features/kirsten-dunst-sofia-coppola-beguiled-sex-cannes-film-festival-nicole-kidman-1202425358/

Source: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/op-ed-celebrity-sells-china

2. TaylorBinque

TaylorBinque Well-Known Member

Thank you Benn! This is a great thread. I seriously can't take Dior right now. But I'm glad Marion can be more fun. It seems that she likes to experiment. I hope to see her in more Chanel.

Also, I really am curious about Diane Kruger and Chanel's fall-out.

3. Nymphaea

Nymphaea Well-Known Member

Marion should be glad she got rid of Dior with Maria, there is nothing good coming out of that tenure I'm afraid. With Raf's designs she looked great just like Carice van Houten.
    I'm curious how long Charlize will keep her spot.

Great thread Benn!

4. YohjiAddict

YohjiAddict Active Member

Had never read anything about chinese celebrities partnership with fashion brands. Fan Bingbing's relationship with Gucci is very interesting, are Chinese that conservative? Gucci under Frida was the wet dream of any middle-aged woman, anything but outlandish or risky.

Kirsten Dunst sounds like such a bitter person, for starters during the Golden Age of Hollywood an actress wouldn't have had a choice when it came to something like what Sofia asked her to do, she should be thankful that she gets any jobs with that attitude.

5. CommanderTMugler

CommanderTMugler Active Member

What other celebs do we know have "contracts" with big brands?

Charlize Theron also only wears Dior to the big events and she gets custom pieces.

I'm not sure what's going on with Beyonce and Gucci but she's wearing them like crazy lately, especially on her Instagram.

Obviously Michelle Williams, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Jennifer Conelly are part of the Louis Vuitton team because of Nicholas Ghesquiere.
    Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones clearly got a contract with LV since that's all she wears now and attends all the shows.

I'm pretty surprised some celebs like Julianne Moore have balanced a couple big brands pretty evenly, she wears Tom Ford, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Givenchy pretty evenly.

Cate Blanchett seems to be in a relationship with Armani since she's the face of their perfume but mostly she wears the brand at the Oscars. Outside of that she also balances lots of brands.

Nicole Kidman doesn't have any specific ties does she?

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure what happened between Diane and Karl, but Karl is really like a butterfly. The one moment he's fangirling the likes of Diane or Alice Dellal etc hard, then it's Cara and Kendall, then it's Kristen. I honesty lose track of his muses. But somehow most of them monetise from that connection, which I suppose is cool. I don't actually recall Diane fronting any of Chanel or Fendi's fashion campaigns, Chanel beauty campaigns yes. Maybe the latter contract ended, and she saw no need to continue with Karl?

Watching Maria's Dior documentary, once could tell Charlize was charming Arnault super hard at a dinner held in her honour. So I'm sure her position is safe. I don't think she wore much under Raf. Like Marion, she was more of a Galliano woman. Marion was the only spokesperson to do Raf's designs justice. Raf's true Dior spokeswomen were Carice Van Houten and Leelee Sobieski, but because they are not as profitable, they weren't officiated.

I think celebrity partnerships can be very iconic if it seems organic and believeable. Audrey Hepburn x Givenchy for instance, immediately comes to mind. If the designer is powerful enough, some of his favourites can be hired. Jennifer Connelly moved with Nicolas from Balenciaga to LV. But not Kristen Stewart, who I don't seem to recall wearing any of Wang's Balenciaga designs. What interest me is women like Jennifer Lawrence, who's appointment seemed to have been made by a suit - meaning her style doesn't correspond with the ethos of the brand she reps, but she must be killing it in terms of marketing. I think she's one of the prime examples where the style disconnect is very apparent. The announcement of Paris Jackson for Calvin Klein is just as weird. It makes no sense at all, other than trying to cash in on her hype.

I think since Prada is going so heavily after that dollars, maybe it's time to start a partnership. It doesn't need to be someone crudely commercial (because Miuccia is all about art, remember), but how about Tilda Swinton?

Celebrity spokespersons in China is a big deal and it was perhaps another way to localise everything in a sense. To update that lineup above, Xhang Ziyi is one of Armani's loyal Asian muses, the new ones are Faye Wong for Céline, and Li Yuchun (Chris Lee) seemed to have moved from Givenchy to Gucci. There's currently a media sh*tstorm brewing over Angelababy being appointed as China's Dior spokesperson.

7. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Interesting that you brought up Tilda Swinton, Benn98. I think it should be mentioned that even though it appears there is no official contract between her and Haider Ackermann, she wears his designs religiously. She also wears quite a lot of Chanel. The rest of the designers she sports seem to be fewer and worn far between.

8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

There's a difference between beauty contracts and fashion contracts.
    Charlize Theron like Cate Blanchett have beauty contracts. That means that they have some types of events where they are required to wear the brand and sometimes have to attend events related to the brand. But, they don't have to wear the brand everytime.
    In their case, they have build a relationship with Mr Arnault (for Charlize) and with the Armani family (Cate).

I think that Beyonce just buy a lot of Gucci and has a collaboration with the brand but she is not under contract. She used to be the face of Armani perfume back in the day and wore Armani everytime.

Julianne Moore has that l'Oreal and a Chopard contract. That's maybe enough for her in terms of incomes. She seems to only wear the designer she has a relashionship with: Karl, Riccardo, Nicolas & Tom. She must have a lot of gift from those house but not money.

Kidman only has some beauty and an Airline contract nowadays but besides her long Chanel contract and the Jimmy Choo one, i don't think she had any other fashion thing.

9. Yohji

Yohji Well-Known Member

Charlotte Gainsbourg seems to have dissociated herself from Louis Vuitton and has now defected to Anthony Vaccarello's Saint Laurent, a designer she started to wear just before Nicolas Ghesquiere was hired at Vuitton. Maybe they didn't like that she was wearing too much Anthony Vaccarello especially after he was hired at Saint Laurent, a rival brand.

I've also noticed that Sofia Coppola slowly distanced herself from Louis Vuitton, too. At the beginning of Ghesquiere's tenure, she attended a show or two and even attended some Louis Vuitton sponsored events despite Jacobs' departure, but now she wears mostly Marc Jacobs, Sonia Rykiel, Valentino and Chanel. Do they even distribute her bags any more?

Michelle Williams was hired when Marc Jacobs was still at Louis Vuitton which makes far more sense than Michelle Williams for Ghesquiere's Vuitton.

Unfortunately, we hardly ever see Julianne in Tom Ford any more nowadays. Not one look in Cannes.

#9 Yohji, May 27, 2017
    Last edited by moderator Aurelien: May 27, 2017
  10. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

Not an actual contract I guess but she wears McQueen and Armani more than any other brand.

When L'Wren Scott was still alive she styled Nicole often in her own designs.

11. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

Stacy Martin / Miu Miu

Not sure how long is her fragrance contract with Miu Miu but I feels like it's a very longterm one..

Inès de la Fressange / Roger Vivier

I think this is the perfect definition of what a brand ambassador is.

12. magsaddict

magsaddict Active Member

Nicole also has a long standing global contract with Omega! she just wore an omega watch at cannes and for years there have been billboards from Shanghai to Sydney. I could see her doing some fresh fashion campaigns for the right price as she's having such a big year, and she's now officially the wealthiest entertainer in Australia and among our wealthiest self made women. Also, i saw there's now a nicole kidman instagram with the verification symbol but no posts? could something be in the works?

Also thank you Benn98 for that article on celebrity endorsements in China, it's really insightful! Especially the way stars are managed by firms for short term gain, i've often noticed in China sometimes it's the most non prestigious and seemingly random products being endorsed by the biggest stars.

13. anlabe32

anlabe32 Well-Known Member

I'd say both Prada and Miu Miu.

Also Mia Goth, Mia Wasikowska, Dane DeHaan and Ansel Elgort for Prada and previously Lea Seydoux before she got a contract with LV.

14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I think there's still Chloe Grace Moretz for Coach. Also Selena Gomez moved from LV to Coach.

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/12/selena-gomez-coach-coca-cola-verizon-endorsement-2016

15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Only a pleasure! :flower: I think in that sense Nicole is quite loyal and takes the partnerships very serious. Charlize Theron on the other hand once got dragged to court and had to fork out $20 million because she wore a Dior watch instead of a Raymond Weil one. :lol: So sometimes these deals can backfire!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2008/oct/14/celebrity

16. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Intersting article from The Fashion Law!!

Source: http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/what-are-brands-really-paying-ambassadors-to-do

17. hopemcmanus

hopemcmanus New Member

18. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I actually think she is. At the time of the MET gala, she was busy working on the new Lara Croft reboot in South Africa. LV sent M&M and Jeff Koons over there to shoot the campaign for that line.

19. dsamg

dsamg Active Member

Would you call Caroline de Maigret a celebrity ambassador for Chanel? It is not as if she really 'models,' except for Chanel and the odd show, plus she wears Chanel to every event.

I think Doona Bae is an LV ambassador as well as she always seems to wear it. Nicolas loves his Asian girls.

20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Yeah, she's more of a muse, isn't she? Difference being muses often don't get paid in cash, clothing certainly.

Nicolas have one in each of the three major markets for Vuitton. Doona fits his aesthetic like a glove and she's more believable than the other two, shame about Sense8 getting cancelled.

Also, there's Jared Leto and Tom Hiddleston for Gucci.