1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today (8/15/2020) between 11 AM and 2 PM Eastern Time (ET). The site will go down for 15-20 minutes. We'll try to get it done before noon. Thank you for your understanding.
    Dismiss Notice

The Business of Magazines #4

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by Thread Manager, Sep 14, 2017.

1. axiomatic

axiomatic Well-Known Member

Why Vogue is launching in Scandinavia now

2. aracic

aracic Moderator

Sure, jan. It's gonna be another boring and generic european edition... just what we needed! Wish they'd fix what we already have before opening new unnecessary editions that will probably produce the same meaningless, artsy fartsy cr*p. I just hope they'll focus on fashion and quality (and please, just a bit of glamour if you would) instead of gimmicks and 'resetting' the world like the rest... Let Alt's VP be their guide!!

Phuel, Bertrando3 and Benn98 like this.
  3. axiomatic

Troy Young Out as Hearst Magazines President

4. axiomatic

Hearst Employees Say Magazine Boss Led Toxic Culture

5. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Though Vogue in Scandinavia would be a no-brainer because people would be able to afford the goods being sold and there are already a few magazines operating in that region, I just wonder what it will look like because most Scandi magazines are not remotely exciting or 'fashion-forward'. It will probably another poseur Vogue like Portugal/Czech etc.

aracic and Bertrando3 like this.
  6. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Maybe Hearst passing on Joanna Coles for president was a mistake.
    I wonder if Young forced her out after he got the coveted job.
    It would be interesting to know what she has to say. Maybe someday.

What about Oprah? She hasn’t said anything.

It’s just so messy.

7. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Right? Oddly enough, their instagram page is running and is very active. However, there are no signs of the magazine.

8. honeycombchild

honeycombchild Well-Known Member

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t already have their own edition of Vogue to be honest. It’s a fairly affluent and style-lead territory so it would have made sense it would do well there really.

9. 8eight

8eight Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what Grazia UK sells currently?

10. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Vogue Scandinavia absolutely makes sense, but oddly that region is just now getting taken seriously by many large brands. I can't believe there was no Chanel store in Copenhagen until last year, especially since so many affluent Danish women carry 2.55s and Boy bags.

11. vogue28

vogue28 Mod Squad Team Leader

Oprah’s magazine coming to an end in December 2020:

12. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

If not even Oprah can survive this, who can?!?!?!?

13. Bertrando3

Bertrando3 Well-Known Member

I keep saying this for a DECADE now :cool::innocent::rofl: Print magazines have no future or a very short lived one, mark my words. MANY people said, when digital magazines started to appear, that these would not last, that people would never stop buying print magazines and a decade later here we are:
    - l'Uomo Vogue closed and reopened
    - Some editions of Vogue closed and reopened
    - MANY editions of cosmo and Elle closed
    - Harper's Bazaar (one of the big 3 most sellable magazine brands in the world) closed their Australian and Chilean editions
    - MANY men's fashion magazines closed this past two decades: US Men's Vogue, Vogue hommes japan, Men's Vogue China etc.
    - MANY Asian magazines do not exist in print and only exist in their digital editions
    etc.

It's a reality: as a society globally WE read much less newspapers and novels and books, and magazines nowadays aren't consumed as they were since the Gen Z watches images on Instagram but do not actually buy the print edition (therefore NO need to get influencers on covers instead of supermodels but that's another issue for another day...)
    I rest my case your honor :judge:

crmsnsnwflks and Benn98 like this.
  14. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

More on the Aussie closures today in the SMH, last para is very sad!

Hearst's search for new mag partner
    The head honchos at Harper's Bazaar HQ in New York are not too happy with what has been happening to their beloved fashion bible in Australia. The magazine was unceremoniously killed off on Tuesday, four days after publisher Bauer Media was taken over by private equity firm Mercury Capital.

Bauer shut most of the international titles it publishes under licence here, including Elle, InStyle and Men's Health, but it was the axing of Harper's Bazaar - first launched in Australia in 1984 under the editorship of Lee Tulloch - which truly rattled the local magazine market.

The Harper's Bazaar masthead is owned by the wealthy American Hearst family and has been an icon of international glamour and style around the world for decades. For many years it was a joint venture between the Hearsts and former ACP proprietors the Packers. In 2017 it became a licensing agreement between Hearst and Bauer, which was due to expire at the end of the year.

Advertisement
    PS can reveal the bad blood set in around two years ago when Harper's Bazaar Australia was firmly under the control of German-based Bauer, and the Americans were concerned it was not keeping up with global publishing trends, including the push towards digital media.

Hearst's global editorial director Kim St Clair Bodden discreetly flew to Sydney to meet with various publishing executives about forming a new alliance in Australia to publish the magazine. It remains to be seen if a new partner will emerge, but in other parts of the world Hearst has done similar transitions for its other titles, including Elle.

In the 1990s, when Harper's Bazaar was producing bumper issues of 300 or more pages in Australia packed with luxury advertising, the local edition was one of the most profitable in the world for the Hearsts and Packers.

While arch rival Edwina McCann at Vogue Australia is no doubt relishing all the extra ad revenue about to go her way, the loss of such a prestige brand from the market does not bode well for the overall luxury sector, which has boomed in Australia over the past decade.

Meanwhile there was nothing luxurious about how the 40 staff, including loyal Harper's Bazaar editor Eugenie Kelly, were shown the door at Bauer this week. As one put it to PS: "No speeches, no thanks, no cards ... not even a bloody cake. It really was very shabby treatment. People might think it's all Ab Fab, champers and glamour on those magazines, but in reality we worked out arses off, the days of $25,000 photo shoots are long gone. We pulled off miracles on a shoestring."

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/culture/cele...-celebrity-pecking-order-20200722-p55ecm.html

Benn98 likes this.
  15. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

American Vogue is selling a 1-year subscription for $12?? That's just £2 more than what we pay per issue!
    I'd subscribe within a heartbeat but the offer is only valid for US citizens.

aracic, SRank, vogue28 and 1 other person like this.
  16. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

On Amazon you can at times buy yearly subscriptions (Print + Digital) to Vogue, GQ, HB, Elle, and many others for often $10 or less for a year. It’s been that way for a couple years now. Allure and Women’s Health are on sale right now for $.99(!!!) for a 4-month subscription, Esquire and Men’s Health are $6 for a year.

Benn98 likes this.
  17. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Somewhere there's a huge disconnect if prices are this low and people still aren't people buying??

18. axiomatic

I've had free subscriptions to GQ, Vogue, Allure, HB, Elle, Cosmo, W, Rolling Stone, New Yorker, and many others for the last 6-7 years.

That's why subscriber numbers can be misleading; they don't take into account free/cheap subscriptions. The US Postal Service requires magazines to print an audit in year-end issues. It's interesting to note what % of overall subscribers are free or nominal $.

nyc_art_style and Benn98 like this.
  19. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Maybe people are just finally tired of seeing Oprah on the cover of every single issue for decades. And I don’t mean that in a dismissive manner to her. It’s a stunning revelation and testament to the power of her personality and brand that she’s lasted as long as she had with such a concept; one that would have been ridiculed as pure vanity and bound for failure from anyone else.

And as for Vogue Scandinavia, Vogue is really not representative of affluence for many countries. The ME for instance— from Saudi Arabia to UAE may be fairly generalized as one of the most long-standing, powerful consumers of luxury brands, yet it wasn’t until recently that there was a Vogue Arabia (and they could easily have had a Vogue for each ME country/region). ME readers/consumers had/have access to any Vogue— and any of the brands advertised within the Vogues that they want, yet they’ve never had this insecure attitude that Western countries (America in particular) have of needing representation for validation. Perhaps that’s how Scandinavians feel (until now)— or some rwealthy Scandinavian’s finally decided to invest in a franchise that’ll get him in on some fashionable parties.

Rather buy a pack of smokes.

Bertrando3 likes this.
  20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

LOL. I don't smoke, #thankyouverymuch