The Business of Magazines

^Thank you for posting this, I was really curious to read it.
I personally find the whole idea of digital magazines (or even books) just tragic. Nothing compares to having a real magazine in your hands. See how the paper feels, turning the pages, seeing the paper aging as the magazine gets older... You lose all this when you just have to touch a screen. I think it also explains why digital copies don't sell well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like a pretty rough correlation -- while the shape of the lines may be roughly the same, there are all kinds of exceptions: the late spring rise of GQ digital, the fairly steady summer for wired digital vs. a huge increase in wired print, and plenty of times when sales in one medium are rising and the other is falling. I don't the the article's argument is very compelling, because it relies on a relationship between print/digital sales that I'm not sure is actually born out by the numbers.

One obvious data point one would like is the sales before the iPad issues. I mean, do people buy BOTH the mag and the app or are some other people attracted by the app than those who would buy the mag?

In an ideal world, you could persuade people to get both - but that would require the magazine to take an imaginative leap with the content they're providing with that app. It's not enough to offer a slightly more animated version of the newsprint publication.

Lagardere talking to Hearst to sell intl press biz
Reporting by Leigh Thomas; Editing by Bernard Orr (reuters.com)

* Exclusive negotiations run until Jan. 30

PARIS Dec 31 (Reuters) - French media group Lagardere (LAGA.PA) said on Friday it had entered into exclusive negotiations with privately held Hearst Corp to sell its international magazines and press business for cash.

Lagardere, which publishes Elle and Paris Match magazines, said that the two sides had agreed for the negotiations to run until Jan. 30.

The company, France's biggest magazine publisher, said in early December it wanted to sell its international division, to cut costs and refocus on its domestic titles, which are its most profitable.

"Lagardere SCA and Hearst Corporation announced today that they have entered into an agreement providing for exclusive negotiations until January 30, 2011 for the acquisition by Hearst Corporation of Lagardere's international press and magazine business in an all cash transaction," the French company said in a statement.

French business newspaper Les Echos reported last week that Lagardere was close to selling the international business to Hearst, which the company promptly denied.

Lagardere, whose main businesses are book and magazine publishing, sports-rights management and airport retail, is under pressure to boost its valuation by divesting minority stakes in non-core businesses and restructuring its magazines.

Sales of the international titles division have been hit most strongly, falling 23 percent last year as an economic slowdown hit advertising spending, while sales for the entire magazines division fell 20.1 percent.

THE LADY’S A WINNER: Put Lady Gaga in anything — flesh-colored bra, black bustier, meat dress, artillery-undie extravaganza — and it doesn’t matter. She sells. According to the Audit Bureau of Circulations, Gaga was the runaway hit at the newsstand in 2010 for monthly and biweekly magazines. The results don’t extend all the way through the end of the year, and they do vary (figures for Condé Nast titles go through November; Hearst titles through October). But it’s safe to say no celebrity will catch up in time to match Gaga’s strong and steady performance throughout the year.

Through the end of September, machine-gun-wielding Gaga’s July 8 cover for Rolling Stone was the top-selling issue of the year for the magazine, with 245,000 copies sold, a total that is nearly three times better than its 2010 average. (It didn’t hurt that it was the same issue with the big Stanley McChrystal profile, one of the most explosive magazine pieces of the year.) For Cosmopolitan’s April issue, the Gaga cover sold 1.7 million copies, the top seller through the end of October. The Gaga September Vanity Fair issue sold 450,000 copies, the title’s second-best seller of the year (behind only Angelina Jolie) through November, and more than 80,000 better than its average. Gaga on the January issue of Elle was the magazine’s third-best seller of the year through October. And if rumors on the Web are to be believed — that Gaga will grace the cover of Vogue in March — Anna Wintour has plenty of reasons to rest easy.

Who else did well? Rihanna’s January GQ cover was the second-best seller of the year through November for the men’s monthly, and her August Seventeen cover was the Hearst’s title’s top seller through the end of October. But unlike Gaga, who dominated whatever biweekly or monthly magazine she graced, Rihanna on the July Elle cover sold 285,000 copies, slightly below average for the Hachette monthly.

For every Gaga, though, there’s a Taylor Swift. Barring a late turnaround, Swift had the year’s poorest results. Her April Elle cover was its worst seller of the year through October, with sales running 60,000 less than the average on the newsstand; her November cover for Glamour was the second-worst-selling for the monthly, and her July Marie Claire cover was the third-worst-selling issue for that monthly through October.

But there is a chance for a turnaround, and it certainly would not be without precedent.

“Gossip Girl” star Blake Lively had the dubious achievement of being on the cover of the worst-selling issue of Esquire through October, and her June Vogue cover was its third-worst seller for the year. But just as it seemed Lively couldn’t sell, her October Allure cover sold 196,000 copies, which is by far that magazine’s best seller of 2010. This isn’t the only time Allure has come to the rescue. Jennifer Lopez was sacked with second-worst seller of Elle through October, but had the second-best cover at Glamour and the second-best seller at Allure. Perhaps Allure and Seventeen — presumably where Swift’s fan base lives a bit more than at Elle — can help turn her fortunes around as well. She’s on Allure’s December cover, Seventeen’s January one and a December issue of Entertainment Weekly.

Other topsy-turvy cover girls in 2010 include Jessica Simpson, who managed to land the best-selling cover for Lucky through the month of November and the worst-selling cover for Marie Claire through October. (On the Marie Claire cover, Simpson didn’t wear makeup and said, “I don’t have anything to prove anymore. What other people think of me is not my business.” Evidently that doesn’t make for good business.) Lauren Conrad, whose September cover for Glamour was the best-seller of the year for editor in chief Cindi Leive, also managed to have the second-worst selling cover for Seventeen. And Anne Hathaway’s November cover for Vogue was a bomb — its second-worst seller at the newsstand — but her cover for InStyle was its second-best performer of the year.

So what’s the moral of this story? Play it safe and book Lady Gaga for a shoot immediately.

wwd.com

And Anne Hathaway’s November cover for Vogue was a bomb

I wonder why, I find that to be interesting because it was so well loved on here. I wonder what the worst selling issue of Vogue was though. Blake, Anne... then who...

it doesn't suprise me that issues with taylor swift were some of the worst sellers for elle, glamour or marie claire...
she doesn't strike me as someone that readers of those magazines look up to or want to read about...

i am pleasantly surprised that lauren conrad on glamour was their best selling issue of the year (and i'm not surprised she wasn't a high seller for seventeen...which is where swift should be)...

That's interesting, I think that once you pair a celeb with it's target group you'll be in for cash. It's not about who you put on the cover it's about what magazine you pair that person with.

I do believe the reason Taylor Swift sold so low is because she doesn't reach out to the target customer elle has, she would have faired better at a magazine like seventeen or teen vogue. The same with Blake Lively, she might not appeal to the Vogue customer as much as she does to the Allure one.

I would like to see covers compared to the same month in previous years. I don't know how to assess the role of the cover subject if it she covers the magazine in a month that tends to have poor sales anyway. I guess the same can be said about the top selling months as well, again comparisons to same months in previous years may be a more valid comparison.

I guess that shows, that these days (Gaga asaide), it really is not about the celeb, but more like what you do with them, because some of those did horrible for some mags, and good for others. Im surprised Annes was a bomb, such a lovely cover. Not however surprised by Livelys flop, thats what happens when you want to shove someone down Vogues readers throat, in like 4 issues that year, its without real merit. Hopefully Wintour lets it go, but then we all know she does what she wants, so i dont think she will.

I feel like Gaga has done an amazing job at keeping herself out of tabloids despite her fame. I don't think I've ever seen any big stories on her in Us Weekly or even People, that also keeps her fresh. (Then again, we have to endure a lot of Kardashian, apparently.)

I also remember reading Taylor Swift was Glamour's biggest seller in 2009 here but a lot can change in a year.

Anyone know anything about the UK mags and what they are selling?

I think the general magazine ABCs for the latter half of 2010 might be out in mid-February.

I think the market was saturated with Taylor Swift last year and the fatigue set in. There was nothing left to know about her.

While Lady Gaga was the queen of the newsstand for monthly and biweekly magazines in 2010, who led the way in men’s magazines?

Naturally, you need to start with a lady. Rihanna’s topless January cover was GQ’s bestseller last year, a spokeswoman said. Several funny guys led the way for the second bestseller of the year when GQ featured three different cover stars in August — Tracy Morgan (donning devil’s horns) on one issue, Paul Rudd on another and Zach Galifianakis for yet another. The worst seller of the year for GQ was Taylor Lautner’s July cover, which sold 159,000 copies, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations Rapid Report (these are figures submitted by the publishers and have not yet been audited by ABC). And what’s up with having the name Taylor? Taylor Swift had the poorest results for any woman on major monthly or biweekly magazines in 2010, according to Rapid Report stats available.

Meanwhile, Lautner’s “Twilight” co-star, Robert Pattinson, fared far better and graced Details’ bestseller of the year back in March. The biggest bomb for Details? Jon Hamm’s October cover sold the least amount of copies for the monthly through November, according to ABC.

And, while Rihanna going topless worked wonders for GQ, Blake Lively had the worst results for Esquire — figures are available through November — for her February cover. Javier Bardem with a cigarette in hand on the October Esquire was its worst performance for a man for the Hearst monthly. The best? Leonardo DiCaprio’s March cover sold the most copies, and James Franco’s September cover — with a cover line of “James Franco: On Our Cover? For Petey’s Sake The Guy Is Everywhere” apparently serving as no deterrent — was the second best.

Through October, the dubious achievement of worst-performing issue for Men’s Journal goes to — no surprise here — Mel Gibson, who appeared on the February cover, which was months before even his most recent meltdown. Robert Downey Jr., boosted by “Iron Man 2” momentum, had the bestseller back in May with 97,000 copies sold.

And for Men’s Health, the best-selling cover goes to January/February cover boy and actor Sean Faris — who? — which sold 645,000 copies, according to ABC. Maybe you don’t need a star on the cover. The worst seller goes to “True Blood” star and Australian actor Ryan Kwanten, who appeared on the November cover, which sold 300,000 copies, 80,000 less than last year’s November cover.

wwd.com

I think all of these numbers just prove that people are picking up magazines based on ther factors not just celebrity. While someone like Lady Gaga is assured of moving issues because she is having, for better or worse, a huge culture moment others like Blake Lively seem to sell well or not based on that particular month. This becomes evident when so many of the best sellers are from March and September. The exception, of course, is Rihanna's January cover, it doesnt take a rocket scientist, however, to realized why a hot naked popstar sold on the cover of a men's magazine while a Teen Hearthrob did not.

15 years ago only major celebrities who were assured of selling issues were put on the cover, The Madonna's or Demi's but nowadays every month a new celeb is put on front with the hopes that it might be a hit with the public and as these figures show most times it doesn't really matter. How else to explain why a celeb can be one one of Allure's worst sellers but on one Glamour's best? Maybe there are other forces at play besides their face on the cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris is...Emmanuelle Alt!

Source: VogueParisLive Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->