The Business of Magazines

I got sad and frustrated as well when I found out that fashion-iconography.com is now closed. :cry: It's like my savior whenever I'm not sure on a magazine year and its model. :(

Awful. I hope all is well with Gwen...

It's been ages since I spoke with her... despite how much people appreciate it as a resource, running that sort of site is a thankless task, so I'm not surprised the enthusiam fades and the updates falter.

Does anyone know what happened to 25 Magazine ? The one edited by Anja Rubik and her husband, there were just 3 issues launched...

I don`t know if this is real but it was linked from Wikipedia France

Sales of French Vogue for the First Half

www.ojd.com

source | blog.runway.nytimes | September 10, 2011

... Outside, I bumped into Cecilia Dean, the Visionaire editor, who seemed excited by the news that day that an upcoming issue of her magazine would achieve a place in the Guinness World Records. At 7 feet by 5 feet, she said, it will technically be the largest magazine ever published.

^Wow I'm excited to see how huge that magazine will be! Thanks for posting the info MMA.

Being of a practical nature, my first thought was, if you could laminate that magazine, you could probably construct some sort of shed out of the panels, maybe even a portaloo, and you could sit there and read other magazines - or the walls themselves - and the act of having a pee would be transformed into a profound post-modern experience of the process of consumerism.

Otherwise, I'd be at a loss as to why anyone would want a magazine that large in their life? Maybe in this one issue, the editorials will be life-sized... although that could lead to any number of horrifying outcomes, especially if scissors fell into the hands of a person who bought the record-breaking issue because they liked the shot of a model bending over.

January 2012 sees the launch of Marie Claire Runway, a new fashion biannual from the IPC SouthBank monthly, marking the first in a line of investment and developments on the brand. Available in both print and digital platforms, the publication features international collections, as well as interviews and photography. Other plans for 2012 from Marie Claire include new app launches and increased mobile content and a redesign of www.marieclaire.co.uk; in print, the title will move to a larger format with more editorial pages.

This is very interesting as I wouldnt think people buy Marie Claire for the fashion.
Is it an Advertising strategy?

Full press release.

Marie Claire to launch biannual fashion magazine
IPC Media has announced a number of proposed changes for monthly fashion title Marie Claire next year, including a larger format, a redesigned website and a new biannual fashion magazine.

Marie Claire Runway: set to launch in January
The new biannual Marie Claire Runway, which launches on January 26 2012, will cost £6 and feature exclusive fashion interviews, photography and behind-the-scenes features.

It will be available both in print and digital formats, although IPC has not yet confirmed what its digital form would be.

Marie Claire magazine, which fell 10.4% year on year to a circulation of 250,785 in the latest ABCs, will also move into a bigger format and will feature more editorial pages.

Its website, www.marieclaire.co.uk, is also set to undergo a redesign, while its mobile site, launched in 2007, is to feature more content.

Justine Southall, publishing director at Marie Claire, said: "We've developed Marie Claire to deliver an even more premium proposition, which, combined with our investment and development plans, gives us the strongest magazine brand offering for our upmarket audience.

"Marie Claire is this premium product that is still selling a lot of magazines. It's so important for us to invest more into the value of the product.

"These are changes we hope will have an impact on sales, but it's also about maintaining your core audience in these times."

Southall said that the brand's digital offerings continued to be its driving strength, with 1.2 million unique visitors to Marie Claire's website and 57,000 downloads of its beauty app.

IPC announced earlier this month that it had brokered an ad deal with Procter & Gamble across the mobile sites of Marie Claire, InStyle, Look, Good to Know, Woman and Home and House to Home.

I'm so happy I came across this thread! :D It will come in good use when I start my degree in magazine publishing next month. Does anyone have any useful sites on fashion magazine history or any useful sites that will come in handy? :smile: thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
More, and Less, of Harper's Bazaar

MORE, AND LESS, OF HARPER’S BAZAAR: Now that Hearst has had its hand on Elle for four months, the publisher is ready to roll out some changes at one of its other fashion titles: Harper’s Bazaar. WWD has learned that, in the coming months, the magazine will increase its trim size and, once again, reduce its frequency.

Harper’s Bazaar will come out 10 times next year after it combines its upcoming December and January issues, which will represent a drop in frequency for a second consecutive year for the fashion title — it dropped to 11 times annually this past January. “For now, the cover price will remain at $3.99, $4.99 for September and March,” said Harper’s Bazaar publisher Carol Smith via a spokeswoman. “We’re also moving to 10 issues, continuing to publish a June-July summer issue and, now, a year-end December-January issue. The bonus Runway Report will run in September, with additional single-topic issues around franchises like Fabulous at Every Age and Mr. Blasberg’s Best Dressed. The rate base will remain unchanged.”

Bazaar’s rate base is 700,000.

Other magazines have reduced frequency as a cost-saving measure at Hearst as well: Last year, Esquire dropped to 11 issues, and House Beautiful went to 10.

A spokeswoman would not get into details about Bazaar’s new trim size, but two Hearst insiders said it would not be as big as W or the British Harper’s Bazaar fashion issues in March and September, which are the same size as W. The reason? Although W’s trim size may be attractive to advertisers, magazines that big traditionally do not sell well on newsstand. (As an example: Harper’s Bazaar averaged 136,621 issues sold on the newsstand per month in the first half of 2011, while W averaged 19,006 sales.)

One source said the size increase would be more in line with Hearst titles House Beautiful and Country Living, which increased trim sizes in the last few years by 12 percent and 16.5 percent, respectively. A spokeswoman would not say when Bazaar’s trim size change would go into effect, but a Hearst insider said it would be early next year. The magazine will also upgrade paper and cover stock.

Bazaar is an obvious choice for a bit of a reboot. Of all the major fashion magazines — Vogue, Elle, InStyle and W — it suffered the roughest first half. It is the only magazine of that group that suffered a drop in ad pages, with a 5.4 percent decline in the first six months. After a strong 2010, it also has fared worse than its rivals in the first half. Bazaar dropped 15 percent, while W, Elle and InStyle had losses of 12, 10 and 8 percent, respectively. Vogue was the only winner with an increase of 11 percent.
wwd.com

Woah, someone seriously needs to man up, fire Bailey, and do some good changes for this once great magazine! Pissed off with the state of it for a while now!

The reason? Although W’s trim size may be attractive to advertisers, magazines that big traditionally do not sell well on newsstand. (As an example: Harper’s Bazaar averaged 136,621 issues sold on the newsstand per month in the first half of 2011, while W averaged 19,006 sales.)

I don't think that's a very good reason. W has less sales because it's a completely different magazine with a different target group, not because it's big in size. You can't even compare these two.

Until someone improves what's being printed on them, there's no point increasing the size of those pages.

Condé Nast International also said this week that it will launch GQ in Turkey, which will make its debut in March. Mirgun Cabas has been named editor in chief, and the title will publish in a licensed partnership with the Dogus Media Group.

wwd.com

Carine Roitfeld will launch her own magazine in September 2012.

You mentioned in the press a big project you were working. Can you tell us more?

It will be a magazine. I would love to do four times a year. Initially I wanted it on the Internet, but it's a lot of investment, a lot of time, I do not know if it suits me. I know that now you have to do with the Internet, and the photos are of very good quality iPad, but things quickly go out of style on the Net. We'll start with the paper. September Issue to a fall in English.

You have already found a name?

Yes. I can not tell you, I'm trying to see if not already filed, but I think it suits me, it's pretty rock and roll. I could call Carine Roitfeld how to Oprah Winfrey and as she put me on the cover every month, but I'm not sure if this is what people expect. At the moment they see me much, I'll even do a signing at Colette and it amuses me, but after I want to go

Back to your project magazine. How is he different from Vogue?

I do not want to compete with Vogue. Besides, I'm not sure they see me coming a very good eye. It will not be easy for me to run independently. It's a little earthen pot against the iron pot. But I still have friends willing to support me. I would like to succeed in mixing a lot of people very different, as for a dinner.

lexpress.fr, translated via google

^Excited to see what the magazine will be like. From what I understood it will be quarterly and English?

^I know... :rolleyes: I hope it won't be VP under Carine 2.0

Besides, I'm not sure they see me coming a very good eye.
This woman is so full of herself it's beyond me. Why would they even care?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->