The Detailed Shape Of Things To Come

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Lena, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

quite an interesting article from NYT :flower:

2. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

Good for designers to be more detailed and more focused on technique. :)

Thanks, Lena! :flower:

3. Lena

Lena etre soi-meme

you are welcome igni :flower:

i hope overhyped 'bad taste' labels get a hard time for 2004, fashion needs more craftmanship and true original ideas ;)

4. ignitioned32

ignitioned32 Mannikin

ABSOLUTELY! :flower:

5. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Cathy Horn is one of my favorite fashion writers. Thanks for posting, Lena.

She really likes McQueen. He epitomizes her penchant for labels that are unique, wearable and--most importantly--well-made.

The World Trade Organization's textile quota talks fell apart in 2003. This matter will only continue to heat up until 2005 when quotas are lifted. Factories in China have been and are being built with the technology to handle both mass production and some of this finesse.

YES!

I loved the way Cathy Horn described S/S 04 Prada. I believe somewhere on the NYT website there's audio.

I think roaring sex appeal is a good thing too, though.

:lol:

6. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

Ditto on Cathy Horyn. Imo,she's really our only journalist in America who truly expresses how she feels about fashion.

I'm glad designers are becoming more interested in craft, but what are they doing that the Belgians have had so much passion for the last decade? Meaning,why just now has it become such a big deal outside Couture? Is it out of complete desperation to get people to the shops? Are designers finally listening to their clients? I'm glad they're doing it but what's bugs me is why now are they realizing that people want something one-of-kind that cannot be spawned off by gazillions of mass market companies.

7. metal-on-metal

This is what she wrote about the Prada show back in October. She always makes such spot-on observations!

8. Scott

She is an absolute poet in her journalism! :p I don't care what adverbs Talley uses,Horyn certainly has the upper hand in descriptions :flower: And yes,always on the nail too.

9. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

Scott, do you like Robin Givhan of The Washington Post? She's Cathy Horyn's successor at that newspaper and is also a noteworthy writer.

<!--QuoteBegin-Cathy Horyn in chickonspeed's post

And these clothes were about innocence, about being a brainy young woman with a cheap suitcase who goes off to Europe for her junior year abroad with no other expectation than to fill her head with marvelously strange notions.[/quote]

This is perfectly stated.

As for A.L.T., his understanding of fashion is on another plane. That man is ludicrously amazing.

10. Scott

Absolutely,I do! :woot: I completely forgot about her. Make that the two of them,then :lol:

11. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

:heart: Wonderful news, I dount think its a reaction to minimalism as mcuh as to teh amssive productiona nd marketing, i think people are tired of haveing to buy uber expensive one offs to get some quality craftmanship and detail and hearing "craftmanship is only in couture" people doutn whant massive any more, or so I hope, i hope that fashionw ill continue moving int his direction and giev the major mass production a run for its money

12. Scott

You know what's funny even some of the craftiest designers will say they almost fall over in their chairs at the prices of some of their pieces. In any case,if its well made and can stand a lifetime,its well worth it,imo. No matter the price.

13. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Think about what "roaring sex appeal" means these days, though. It's so cheap and vulgar. Sexiness in fashion sorely needs a redefining.

14. Atelier

Atelier Hoppity Hop

I'm not equating roaring sex appeal with being cheap. That's not appealing to me. But I will take vulgar. Now that's appealing.

My friend pointed me to a New Yorker article several months ago in which John Galliano had this to say:

Do I think understated can be sexy? Yes. Less is more and refined, can that be sexy? Of course. But I see nothing wrong with a woman incorporating full-on roaring sex appeal into her wardrobe too and still be stylish and fabulous.

15. TheSweetest

TheSweetest New Member

It's about time, doggone it! I want to see FASHION now. i love this article and i also agree deeply with you, HBoogie! I want to have my own REAL fashion line one day and if that is the ppl's idea of sexy, i don't EVER want my line to be referred to as sexy. And notice how everyone who's anyone says that about everyone's apparel line. I think it's getting sickening with so many other adjectives in the world, can't they think up any other?

16. Scott

Romantic,majestic,enigmatic,imaginitive,ethereal,poetic,quirky,sensual....those are all sexy qualities,no? It is truly boring to hear one say 'sexy' over and over to sum up an entire collection of someone.

17. Cicciolina

Cicciolina New Member

That was a really lovely article - thank you Lena. And I also really enjoyed the Prada article.

18. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

To true :angry: