The 'Porter by Net-A-Porter' Thead

My God! Love each and every shot. Very femme fatale, and cinematic. She looks spectacular.

Evertime I look at Leighton it's a reminder to me of how messed up Hollywood, and society actually, is. She got robbed of so much. Basically every inducement Blake Lively got, every film role, campaign, cover, was supposed to be hers. But because she didn't come from the right background, or had the right connections, and wasn't tall and blonde, she didn't get it.

Leighton looks amazing, I love that shoot. I agree she should have been the huge star from Gossip Girl, but she's just not as pushy as Blake Lively. Despite being a mediocre actress, Blake is always out and about getting her name and face out there, made herself a "style icon" for the press, and married a more famous actor that elevated her profile. She has definitely worked at being famous and it paid off.

Leighton strikes me as much more low key and someone who probably didn't want to be super famous. She didn't take a ton of endorsement deals when she was on GG, nor did she really date anyone famous or go to the "right" events to buddy up to people like Anna Wintour. She's done a lot of indie movies and theater and even musical projects rather than going for big budget studio films that could have made her more of a star. Still, I hope she has a long career acting in projects she cares about, because she is incredibly talented and beautiful.

Ugh. Still doing amazing content. Love the edit with Shanelle, Hannah and Dipti. Such different girls but their photos blend together well.

As mentioned, I hope the film indrusty offers Leighton more opportunities. That edit is so simple yet gorgeous.

Lol, I can't believe I'm sticking up for Blake Lively of all people.

Imo, Leighton is not a good example of what's wrong with Hollywood and society at large. And Leighton did not deserve what Blake got during GG days, for a number of reasons. Regarding Vogue covers (this awkward Edit cover is not Vogue worthy) and Chanel campaigns, Leighton didn't deserve those because Blake didn't either. Neither Blake not Leighton deserved those 'accomplishments' for a cheesy teen show on a netlet, not even a proper network, with poor ratings at that, if we're speaking in hypotheticals. And besides, if I were a Leighton fan, I wouldn't want her subjected to the vitriol Blake received because she landed those covers and campaigns and most didn't think she was worthy. If Leighton were in Blake's place, she would get the same vitriol.

Regarding film roles, Leighton didn't deserve Blake's roles because Blake auditioned for them and thus put in the work to land them. No one is deserving of anything they don't work for. Blake and Leighton are on two different tracks in Hollywood because of their choices during GG. Sure Blake was so desperate and transparent in her quest for a higher profile/fame but it worked because she's the only one who still has a high profile in Hollywood, post-GG (the difference between working actors and those who have a higher profile is the latter's ability to make something happen for themselves in the industry - who doesn't want that?). And even Blake's profile and millions of IG followers isn't guaranteeing Blake any magazine press in this new media landscape, seeing as she wasn't able to land a single September cover for her highest profile movie since her GG days (working with accomplished Paul Feig, Oscar nominee Anna Kendrick based on a book by the author of Big Little Lies). Who would've thought that Blake wouldn't land a cover for a movie that's number 2 at the B.O. this past weekend, 3, 4 or 5 years ago?

Anyway, while Blake was working with Ben Affleck and Oliver Stone, Leighton was working with Selena Gomez in cheesy teen movies and her music career. So, in other words, you get what you put in. And if Leighton was so talented (and believed in her talent and had a team around her who did as well) she could be doing much better for herself, all she needs to do is look at Michelle Williams. Michelle was also on a high profile cheesy teen show but she wanted to be taken as a serious film actress and put in the work to make it happen. Michelle had a strategy and executed it. If Leighton had a strategy similar to Michelle or even took a few tips from Blake (working as hard as possible to land roles with the most accomplished producers, directors and actors possible) maybe she could have a had Vogue cover or a big campaign ala LV like Michelle by now.

Ultimately, I don't care about either Blake or Leighton and this Edit cover nor editorial (some of these poses are quite awkward) but it's not fair to Blake to say Leighton deserved what Blake got during GG when she didn't put in the work for it, whether that work was based on her talent or hype.

Well, I still reckon Blake received a lot of opportunities due to her role in GG. Most of it wasn't neccesarily based on talent or putting in the work. It was just much easier to sell Blake to the public, than Leighton. The girl with a Vogue cover, Chanel campaign, who sits front row at Michael Kors, will always be a few steps ahead of her peers, whether we'd like to acknowledge that or not. And that's the gist of my comment.
Using Michelle Williams to add weight to your case doesn't help much because actually, her career post Dawson followed a similar trajectory to Leighton's. I'm young, or old, enough to recall Dick and Halloween was the equivalent of a Selena Gomez movie. It was only until 2005 when she was solidified as a serious actress, and ultimately, fashion darling. And even then, she was half of a star couple. I don't mean to detract from Michelle because I like her more than Leighton or Blake, but facts are facts.

but facts are facts.

Facts are facts, and thankfully IMDB is coming through to save the day for me! I don't want to make this too long because I don't want this post to be deleted for being off topic and you can check IMDB if you want to confirm this.

But yes, Michelle did do Halloween and a few other 'non-serious' movies ("Dick" was actually well received) but that was closer to the beginning of Dawson's Creek in 1998. But towards the middle of Dawson's and by the end her roles/strategy shifted and she was a part of HBO's film "If These Walls Could Talk", "The United States of Leland" with Don Cheadle and Ryan Gosling and "The Station Agent" also another well received film. So Michelle's films were either acclaimed or starred respected actors, while she was still on Dawson's (I think she also was doing off-broadway then too, another example of her wanting to be taken seriously as an actress).

Then 2005 came and Brokeback Mountain took her to the next level but Michelle had already executed her strategy so she was already in a good place in terms of being seen as a respected actor. I believe Michelle would've still started her ascent to the A-list with Brokeback, even without the Heath relationship - it might've taken a little longer but it still would've happen.

Leighton, on the other hand? She was doing good with Country Strong starring Oscar winner Gwyneth Paltrow (starred in a movie with an Oscar winner) but then she did the Selena Gomez movie and the movie with Minka Kelly after/was released after Country Strong. And there was the music career on top of that - moves an actor who wants to be taken seriously about their craft probably wouldn't do, imo.

And as people who obsess over fashion, I'm not sure why Blake going to attending fashion shows, parties and networking isn't counted as 'work' - it got her name out there, she made connections to get covers, roles - that's another important part of the work that goes into being a viable actress. Not everyone is Meryl Streep and the talent speaks for themselves. Some people take Blake's route and others take Michelle's but to reiterate my point you need to pick a strategy and execute if you want to have any possibility of carving your own path in the industry and not having to go to auditions and basically be a working actor, taking whatever you can get.

Leighton didn't do that, so I think her current station in her career/Hollywood is fitting. GG could have raised Leighton's profile if she put the work in (either like Michelle or Blake) but she didn't. Whether you agree with Blake's approach or not, you can't deny she didn't work for it.

So, imo, Leighton didn't deserve what Blake got from GG because she didn't work for it. So I guess ultimately we'll agree to disagree, but my Michelle example actually is a solid example and to get this thread back on track, I like the pic of Leighton in the car, I don't know why they didn't fix that cowlick.

I'm a fan of the styling in the America Ferrera editorial. It's like a Douglas Sirk-like heroine meets a starlet from a 50s, Fellini movie.

The styling is also worth applauding because it's quite possibly one of the rarest times when a magazine understands how to dress up a full-figured actress / model in a dignified way. Usually they're either turned into a human caricature of Jessica Rabbit, put in sizes that are too small, or be forced to wear any clothing item whose silhouette doesn't flatter their voluptuous body.

The photography itself is quite gorgeous, but I can never get behind deliberately sparse spaces in a photograph as evidenced by several shots in the editorial. In my opinion, this Juergen Teller-like aesthetic always ends up looking sloppy.

Oh wow! She's ageing so gracefully. Yes ghe styling is indeed great, but I'm digging her presence here.

Always thought Ugly Betty undersold America. She's so much better an actress. Hope to see her in some feature films.

Oh I love this so much. It's a standard The Edit type of direction but it does Claire justice here. Also I really hate how Vogue styled her like she is Lisbeth instead of being Claire Foy who plays the role which I can see here. The leather jacket shot would make a great cover

Wow, I like this. She actually photographs tremendously well. I'm getting strong woman vibes from this. It actually shows how Vogue retouched her pictures to look younger, because here she looks her age. Great work from Collins too, who's been slacking a bit with her other shoots. Love the cover image and her 'weary' stoic expression which is perfect for this shoot.

This is miles better than the Vogue US shoot. It's melancholic, seductive, vulnerable yet powerful because that's where the power lies in.

October 19, 2018

Born To Stand Out
Model Grace Bol
Photographer Mehdi Lacoste
Styling Helen Broadfoot

net-a-porter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68