The Education & Job of a Creative Director - magazines

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by jetmeiko, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jetmeiko

jetmeiko Member

Hey! So I know different magazines call the creative directer "art" directer, and that they're pretty much the same thing--but what comes with that title? Do you know the specific things they do within the magazine?

More importantly, does anyone know what requirements one would need to have to pursue being a creative director down the line? Such as educational, prior "lower" jobs that could be impressive on a resume, types of internships to go after? Or at least does anyone know of successful magazine creative directors and their background, etc? Any sort of answers would be very appreciated!
    :D

2. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

From what I've learned, it's a position that found most often in an Advertising Agency. But, yes ... magazines have them too. Most of the time a Creative director is above the Art Director, and is not the same thing... it just depends on the company. A Creative Director will deal with more than the "art" in a magazine (layouts and graphics) which would normally be the Art Director's area. Creative Directors would oversee a staff that creates the entire look of the magazine.

I found this which seems to lay out what a Creative Director might have to do:

Source:/pagerankstudio.com

3. jetmeiko

jetmeiko Member

Thank you so much for posting this! It really helped :D