The End For The Kings And Queens Of Haute Couture?

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by brian, Jul 6, 2004.

1. brian

brian New Member

something similar was also posted here (regarding jpg's "semi-couture") but i found this article very interesting and informative :flower:

2. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

interesting...thx brian...

i'm definitely for a couture hybrid... :flower:

3. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

What obscenity.

Ungaro is not showing couture due to the parent company, Salvatore Ferragamo, wishing to reduce finances. Givenchy is not shwoing due to the absence of a head designer, i.e. Julian McDonald.

Isn't Carven an exclsuively couture house?

4. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

Great article. Thanks for posting it. :flower: I found another article on a similar vein:

Independent UK

5. Alliecat

Alliecat New Member

6. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

i want to know what goes into a two MILLION dollar show? i mean i understand that price tag for some of his shows, but outside of the models and venue what could possibly raise the price by that much? am i just naive or does this not sound like a lot of money...for one show?

7. Acid

Acid yes

well remember venue's cost a lot of money

then think of all the technical people

security

ELECTRICITY

you have to pay anyone who does anything........down to the person who chooses the colour on the invitations

8. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

And ofcourse the work on the dresses costed lots and lots of money...also the people from the atelier who work on one dress for more then 100 hours....and ofcourse the expensive jewelry that is designed especially for the show, e.g. the Dior show...how much moneu thise crowns, rings and necklaces would have costed....Not to mention the paycheck for Karolina and friends.....

9. Acid

Acid yes

yes Mr. Dale but that 2 milllion euros is JUST for the show

not including the clothes :wink:

10. Mr-Dale

Mr-Dale Unveil Yourself....

Really? WOW....then it really is alot....but the models payckecks still count then or don't they?

11. softgrey

no...acid...i think the cost of the samples is factored into the cost of the show...

it HAS to be ...even if the venue cost $20,000 and each model gets $10,000...you're still nowhere near that total figure...

12. stylegurrl

stylegurrl New Member

13. softgrey

well...

it's the end of the (fashion) world as we know it... :o :doh:

:cry: :ninja:

14. h_bazaar

h_bazaar New Member

Well, this is general breakdown of the cost of a fashion show:

01) Venue
    02) Models
    03) Lights
    04) Music/ Sound
    05) Stage
    06) Props/ Decor
    08) Food/ Cocktail
    09) Press Releases/ Invites
    10) Help (Stage hands/ Crew/ Dressers/ Co-odinators/ Waiters/ Users/ Event Organizer/ PR Company/ Choreographer/ Make-up & Hair (tho this may come free) etc.etc.etc. :( someone gotta pay these people

A typical fashion show cost about 10K-30K... But when it comes to a show like Dior where quality and image is EVERYTHING... The stakes are higher and thus more money is lavished on such shows...

15. brian

brian New Member

16. softgrey

Well, this is general breakdown of the cost of a fashion show:

01) Venue
    02) Models
    03) Lights
    04) Music/ Sound
    05) Stage
    06) Props/ Decor
    08) Food/ Cocktail
    09) Press Releases/ Invites
    10) Help (Stage hands/ Crew/ Dressers/ Co-odinators/ Waiters/ Users/ Event Organizer/ PR Company/ Choreographer/ Make-up & Hair (tho this may come free) etc.etc.etc. :( someone gotta pay these people

A typical fashion show cost about 10K-30K... But when it comes to a show like Dior where quality and image is EVERYTHING... The stakes are higher and thus more money is lavished on such shows... [/b][/quote]
    isn't the cost of the samples part of the bottom line...?...

17. mikeijames

mikeijames no tom ford, no thanks.

isn't the cost of the samples part of the bottom line...?... [/b][/quote]
    i hope it's the cost of the sample and that they are writing off the production of his designs as part of the show...i didn't think that's how most houses budgeted that expense, but i guess it works... :unsure:

18. Mutterlein

Mutterlein Well-Known Member

This whole thing about Haute Couture dying is stupid. Of course it is going to die when A) they rarely let any other brands enter the market and become legit haute couture producers and B) these brands keep producing dated clothes based on an idealology that is from a bygone era (ahem *chanel*). There are a lot of designers who create "haute couture" style clothes made for a specific client and made to measure just for them. They just don't get any recognition. And really, who wants to spend 300,000 pounds for a dress that their grandmother would have worn? Haute Couture needs new blood. Tara Subkoff had interest in the industry and she had some really good ideas as much as people laughed at her. It's people like her who can save it.

19. versace

versace New Member

So if Dior spends approx 2mil Euros on a single haute couture show.. then where does all the money come from to break even again?? People say accessories such as perfume, bags, skin care products etc etc.. but if u think about selling 2mil Euros of Dior accesories.. how long would this take to achieve this break even.?? it should realistically be before the next dior haute couture show and so they're not running on debt.. hmmm.. its so confusing :huh:

20. Incroyable

Incroyable New Member

Dear God Tara Subkoff in haute couture?

Even in Imitation of Christ I only found that military hat worn by Chloe attractive.

I think it's people being too cheap, and "pragmatic." One should know that in a very broad general statement that spending encourages economy.

What's Primark?