Alber Elbaz - Designer

dodencebt

Reaction score
PARIS — Alber Elbaz — whose soigné, draped designs catapulted Lanvin to become a top Paris fashion house — is to exit the company after a stellar 14-year tenure, WWD has learned.

An announcement is expected in the coming days.

While the parties are likely to characterize the development as by mutual agreement, sources said the rupture came following disagreements between the charismatic Israeli designer and company principals: owner Shaw-Lan Wang and chief executive officer Michèle Huiban.

It is understood members of his design team were informed of his exit this morning, and all employees at Lanvin were summoned to a meeting this afternoon in Paris.

Lanvin officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Sources said Elbaz already emptied his office on the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

The development comes less than a week after Raf Simons resigned from Christian Dior after a three-and-a-half year stint, intensifying discussion about the pressures and restraints today’s creative directors face in an accelerating industry.

Elbaz’s departure from Lanvin is also likely to fuel speculation that he may ultimately succeed Simons at Dior — or at least widen the scope of another round of musical chairs at the highest levels of international fashion. Dior has yet to identify a successor, as reported.

Prized for his couture-like craft and affable personality, Elbaz is believed to have held discussions with Dior when it was seeking a successor to John Galliano following his 2011 expulsion due to racist and anti-Semitic outbursts a Paris café, for which he was convicted of public insult. Talks did not progress partly because Elbaz had an ownership stake in Lanvin via a holding controlled by Wang, a stumbling block to a deal.

It could not immediately be learned if Elbaz is selling his stake as part of the exit package.

According to sources, tensions between Elbaz and Wang have been building up in recent months, with the designer urging the Taiwanese publishing magnate to sell her majority stake and make way for a new owner that could better capitalize on Lanvin’s development potential.

However, Wang is seen as a reluctant seller, demanding a high price, and preferring to handpick a buyer well known to her.

Elbaz is said to have complained about a lack of strategy and targeted investment, and about compromising the image of the brand in Asia.

The company’s consolidated sales have been eroding, expected to fall to around 200 million euros, or $221 million at current exchange, this year, versus a peak of more than 250 million euros, or $276.3 million, only a few years ago, according to sources, who noted that Lanvin is also poised to post its first loss in almost a decade.

Unlike many of its larger rivals, the brand — which marked its 125th anniversary last year — is dependent on its wholesale partners, which account for approximately 70 percent of revenues, with only about 30 percent of sales streaming in from direct retail.

It is understood management has not yet selected a successor to Elbaz, and will face the task of finding a designer who can re-galvanize a house built around his vision and ebullient personality.

Wang bought Lanvin from L’Oréal in 2001, recruited Elbaz and left him a free hand to reinvent the business with his cocktail dresses, chunky costume jewelry, ballerina flats, dressy sneakers and modernist men’s wear.

The intensely private 73-year-old Wang has in the past described Lanvin as a long-term investment, taking a hands-on approach to its development in Asia.

Elbaz learned his craft at the elbow of Geoffrey Beene in New York, and came onto the international radar when he was recruited to helm Guy Laroche in Paris in 1996, a stint that won raves, media attention, and the job offer of a lifetime: to succeed couture legend Yves Saint Laurent at the helm of Rive Gauche ready-to-wear.

After three seasons, Elbaz was fired in the wake of Gucci Group’s takeover of YSL, with Tom Ford picking up the design reins. Elbaz subsequently did one season with Krizia in Milan before sitting on the sidelines of the business for one year.

Once ensconced in Lanvin, Elbaz lauded the coziness of a small, privately held company and likened his attachment to Wang and to Lanvin as a marriage.

Yet Wang has been spending less time in Paris recently, leaving the operational management to Huiban, named chief executive officer in 2013.

Huiban, who joined Lanvin in 2008, had been deputy general manager of the company since 2011. She is a graduate of French business school ESSEC and worked mainly in the media before joining Lanvin.

Elbaz is said to have been alarmed by Wang’s reluctance to invest in developing the French house’s retail network and brand profile, crimping its traction in the face of larger and more robustly funded brands such as Saint Laurent, Chanel and Givenchy.

Lanvin also has had fits and starts in its efforts to build a handbag business – a pillar of profitability for most European names.

In 2007, Wang sold Lanvin’s fragrance and cosmetics business to Inter Parfums SA for 22 million euros, or $24.3 million at current exchange, saying the company needed the funds to develop its ready-to-wear and accessories businesses. The investment community frowned on the move, as it diminishes the valuation of the fashion house.

A trust associated with the Bartel family acquired 25 percent of Lanvin parent Arpège SAS in separate transactions in 2009 and 2012, and is said to share Elbaz’s opinion about the need to invest. Bartel holds certain preemptive rights should Wang wish to explore a sale of any of her shares.

Like Simons, Elbaz is sure to field a flurry of offers for his services — and evaluate them cautiously.

Picking up a Superstar award from Meryl Streep at Fashion Group International’s Night of the Stars last week, Elbaz turned his acceptance speech into a mini manifesto lamenting how the ever-accelerating fashion system is chipping away at creativity, camaraderie and an all-around good time.

“We designers started as couturiers with dreams, with intuitions and with feelings. We started with,’What do women want? What do women need? What can I do for women to make their lives better and easier? How can I make a woman more beautiful?’ That is what we used to do,” he said. “Then we became creative directors, so we have to create, but mostly direct. And now we have to become image-makers, making sure it looks good in the pictures. The screen has to scream baby — that’s the rule. And loudness is the new thing. Loudness is the new cool, and not only in fashion. I prefer whispering. I think it goes deeper and lasts longer.”
wwd.com

Million bucks says he's going to Dior.

Sh*t...this is pretty bad news IMO, and especially coming right after Simons/Dior. Alber had been inconsistent recently but he really carved out an elegant niche for himself at Lanvin and the vast majority of his work stands the test of time to me personally.

Next thing you know Miuccia will be leaving Prada!

What's with all the changes? I haven't even fully recovered from Raf leaving Dior, now this ...

Good news for him. His collections were a little bit repetitive and boring even if in stores, the clothes were marvelous.
He did a great job at Lanvin and i hope he will do Dior. He is totally capable of that. From Guy Laroche to YSL and from Lanvin to Dior maybe...

But i don't know if he can handle a big machine like Dior. He is talented and gifted enough to do it but his work has never been about reinventing a brand every season. He has always been very consistent and i don't know if a house like Dior can follow his way of working

Last edited by a moderator:
i love him, he is so rare in fashion today. someone who has a soul and feelings and puts it at the front of their work. i really hope we will see him creating again asap.

Such sad news, last week Raf and now Alber.

Wonder if Alber is headed to Dior....

The musical chairs game again...

Good move. It's the right time to leave Lanvin; He seemed pretty much over the house and it's legacy, hence why the last 3 years his collections looked kind of lifeless. However, I can't see him at Dior, too. He has the skills needed for that job but I don't know, something doesn't fit properly. I may be wrong...

This is tragic. the only thing that got me thru fashion weeks was Lanvin. who knows what will happen to the brand now!

Sad, but not really. Alber's work for Lanvin got really cold in the last few years, I think it was time for him to move on.

May very well be for Dior, which would be awesome imo, even though I still think Riccardo will get it (maybe he's heading to Givenchy?)

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely horrified at the thought of who might step in, to be honest.

It's true that maybe his last few collections weren't as amazing as his former ones, but he always delivered extreme elegance.

His latest collection did really feel like a best of, anyway, so maybe it was to be expected?

He will definitely be missed! all my lanvin sneakers so luxe and can be worn with anything and the feminine silhouettes!

I will follow alber anywhere he goes, he is such a rare quality! Dior might be possible at this point but you never know!

This fashion musical chairs never gets old

No words on Lucas Ossendrijver? Is he leaving too?

Lanvin was really great with clothes. One of the few big fashion house where the clothes weren't outrageously expensive.

I don't really know who can take over Lanvin.

Sad but lets face it, his collections started to lack these past few years. I PRAY he gets to go to Dior, he can totally restore the incredibly feminine yet incredibly modern factor that has lacked these past few years. And he knows how to respect brand's heritages.

This is beyond sad. Lanvin was always one of the few shows that I looked forward to during fashion month. I wonder if his partner will stay at Lanvin as well.

Rather him than Tisci for Dior. Raf for Lanvin?

Fashion is f----d.... no wonder those top designers are tired of this circus after all....

I say Alber goes to Dior, Haider takes over Lanvin and Riccardo can stay put in Givenchy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nngocdiem
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->